Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Primer differences

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Clyde

Number of posts : 393
Registration date : 2011-11-27

Primer differences Empty
PostSubject: Primer differences   Primer differences EmptySeptember 14th 2017, 1:18 pm

I zeroed my inline the otherday 110 gr of 209 with the 452 monoflex overtop.  Last week I changed primers from the Winchester blue box to the Federal 209A  for just a hotter flame and with the same load I was down 3 inches and about 1 right.  

Anybody else experience a change after changing a load component .  The group size stayed consistent though 3  3 shot groups under 1.5 inches, so i don't think there is a scope or other issue.
Back to top Go down
Fishunt

Fishunt

Male Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2015-05-27

Primer differences Empty
PostSubject: Re: Primer differences   Primer differences EmptySeptember 14th 2017, 5:20 pm

Yes, changing the primer can and will most likely change the point of impact.
Back to top Go down
skoger

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2015-09-30

Primer differences Empty
PostSubject: Re: Primer differences   Primer differences EmptySeptember 16th 2017, 8:05 pm

Changing the primers does affect POI, it changes whole load grouping in reloading, primers are a very important part of load development in metallic reloading.
Back to top Go down
csitas

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2017-08-26

Primer differences Empty
PostSubject: Re: Primer differences   Primer differences EmptySeptember 19th 2017, 8:39 am

Changing the POI makes since . It probally amounts to timing.Faster or slower ignition.
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3305
Registration date : 2015-10-20

Primer differences Empty
PostSubject: Re: Primer differences   Primer differences EmptyOctober 10th 2017, 7:36 pm

@skoger wrote:
Changing the primers does affect POI, it changes whole load grouping in reloading, primers are a very important part of load development in metallic reloading.

I agree

Primer differences Img2

Back to top Go down
redear

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2016-12-12

Primer differences Empty
PostSubject: Re: Primer differences   Primer differences EmptyOctober 11th 2017, 4:21 pm

I didn't realize how potent the 209 primers were till I popped a few off by themselves, only to see the little blue orange  flame come out of the end of the barrel a couple inches. I was surprised.
Back to top Go down

Primer differences
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: