Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Have any hunting Field Notes??

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3801
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Have any hunting Field Notes?? Empty
PostSubject: Have any hunting Field Notes??   Have any hunting Field Notes?? Empty2017-09-20, 08:06

While pictures are worth 1,000 words, I enjoy reading stories study  from hunters who have taken the time to document and highlight in their own words past successful hunts.  Decades from a hunt Field Notes can revitalize the details that memory fades, and will allow you to re-live the experience as if it happened yesterday.   

I don't prepare field notes as a matter of routine, but do for those harvests where details made the hunt especially unique.  Every hunt is different and many encounter conditions or unexpected events which made their hunt particularly memorable.  Long or short, if you have a unique hunting story to tell or post feel free to share it among forum members. Smile
Back to top Go down
patocazador

patocazador

Number of posts : 5852
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Have any hunting Field Notes??   Have any hunting Field Notes?? Empty2017-09-20, 08:58

I keep a hunting diary but it's not in story form .. very simple. It lists the date, wind direction, temperature, and whether it's cloudy, raining. etc.. Then I put where I went, whether someone or my dog accompanied me, what I saw as for game animals or birds and the details of game killed.

It looks something like this:

9/20/17-79 deg.- NE@5-10 mph - overcast
Took Nyssa to Jumper Creek in Gheenoe. Saw 8 gallinules and 2 wood ducks. Got out at Soapstone I. Found a rub line on cedars near Bear I. trail. Jumped 2 deer(does?) at edge of gallberry patch (10:15). Left @ 11:30. No game taken.

I refer back to it to see if there are any constants when I'm successful or seeing game. Like a Northwest wind or what the moon phase was. Also check the time I see game vs. the sol-lunar tables to see if there's any correlation.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3801
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Have any hunting Field Notes??   Have any hunting Field Notes?? Empty2017-09-20, 11:03

Every hunter has there own way of recording a particular hunt.   Absolutely nothing wrong with dairy notes pat'.    They usually get down to the nuts and bolts of success.   I'm a junky sponge for listening to any hunts where the freezer was filled.  The objective I had in mind was to share first-hand hunting knowledge in whatever form.  Knowledge is a terriible thing to waste.

Thanks for your reply.  Smile
Back to top Go down
Smokin' Joe
Forum
Forum
Smokin' Joe

Male Number of posts : 2075
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Have any hunting Field Notes??   Have any hunting Field Notes?? Empty2017-09-20, 13:26

Marty your "hunting field notes" idea is a good one.  I don't have any...wish I did.  I do have many great memories and good stories from past years but I know they lack the specific details that a diary would have provided.  Of course, it's never too late to start.  With the technology of today one could easily post pictures also of the various events.  Heck 20 years from now I might have a hard time remembering so I better get started!   Very Happy

Thanks,

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
Huntin_Dawg1215

Number of posts : 448
Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Have any hunting Field Notes??   Have any hunting Field Notes?? Empty2017-09-20, 20:06

I keep record of my hunts. I kind of use both styles. I keep the records of the wind, temp, day of the week, location, etc. I also write down any thing that occurs that I feel I would like to remember and share with others.
'These records help me from one year to the next with my scouting.
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3490
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Have any hunting Field Notes??   Have any hunting Field Notes?? Empty2017-10-10, 19:33

I have kept records in a journal recording such items as: the wind, the temp, the day of the week, the location, the time of day, game and hunter activity. I write down anything that occurred that I would like to remember for future hunts in that area. The records in my journals help me from one year to the next whether for scouting or area to setup camp.

Back to top Go down

Have any hunting Field Notes??
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: The Hunting Lodge :: Off Topic-Hunting Lodge-
Jump to: