View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14516
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: TC bullet prices!   September 24th 2017, 10:34 am

Have any of you seen the prices on TC Maxi Balls and Maxi Hunters? The big R stores around here have a $24 price tag on both the maxi ball and maxi hunters!

I need to start casting maxi's again if thats the going price lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5243
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: TC bullet prices!   September 24th 2017, 12:24 pm

I have molds for .45, .50, and .54 MaxiBalls. I wasn't going to pay the prices they are asking. More than $1/bullet if it's a box of 20.

I just checked the price on October Country and it is $11.25 for a box of 20. However, they add shipping charges as much as $12.50 on to that. That can add up to $23.75 for 20 of them.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
John Neslen

Number of posts : 463
Registration date : 2015-02-28

PostSubject: Re: TC bullet prices!   September 24th 2017, 4:53 pm

Are the T/C 54ca Maxi Hunter molds getting hard to find? A friend has been looking and the only one he found was on Ebay for $159 so he keeps looking. Geeez

John
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5243
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: TC bullet prices!   September 24th 2017, 5:14 pm

I was lucky. I put out a WTB ad on several forums and someone sold me one for about $35-$40.

I bid $40 on Ebay, the thing eventually sold for around $100 before doing the WTB ad.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MattRaymond

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: TC bullet prices!   September 24th 2017, 6:37 pm

I actually lucked out at a LGS...The store is kinda interesting and actually carries real BP so I was there with a buddy because he needed some powder. While I was there, I blew the dust off of 6 boxes of old TC conicals. I bought all 6 boxes, they were labeled $6.99 a box. The guy was surprised that I bought them because not many guys are interested in .45 TC maxiballs. He said, "Wow, these have been back there since before 2003, because that when I got the new pricing gun!"

Anyway, the lube was dry and dusty on them so I brushed it off, soaked em in vinegar for a few hours and they look new, yet unlubed. I lube them myself, so no big deal. I ended up with 4 boxes of 240 grain maxiballs, 1 box of 255 grain maxihunters, and 1 crazy box of 320 grain maxiballs! I'd never even heard of a 320 grain maxiball in .45 caliber. 

A side note, the new boxes of .50 maxiballs were priced at $28, jeesh!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jeager106

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2017-07-17

PostSubject: Re: TC bullet prices!   September 25th 2017, 11:53 am

Maxi what? Conical? Wassat? No
I got LOUSY accuracy with every bullet I tried in my T/C 1:48 twist factory barrel.
I replaced the factory junk with Green Mountain slow twist and shoot round ball.
If I want to shoot boolets I use my Lyman Great Plains Hunter with faster twist.
On a good day with the Lyman peep sight I put on the thing I can easily shoot
1 to 1.5 inch at 100 from the bench with it.
Yeah I know, your wife, daddy, gran'pa, aunt Maggie, and one BLIND cousin can do that
at midnight by the light of the full moon so please spare me the "that ain't so great" comments.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
falcon

Male Number of posts : 1304
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: TC bullet prices!   September 25th 2017, 12:03 pm

Yep, Maxi Balls cost dearly.   Sighted my .50 New Englander with the 320 grain Maxi-Ball.   Killed several hogs with it.   But the bore got very badly leaded.   Cleaned it up, ditched the Maxi Balls re-sighted the rifle for patched round balls.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
csitas

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2017-08-26

PostSubject: Re: TC bullet prices!   September 27th 2017, 9:29 pm

I 'll agree with the maxi. Waaaay back when I started they were the rage. I still can make my own but, I just take a round ball and gear it up some, and do the same job. Dead.I really love a faster round ball ,Goes where you point it without beating your shoulder into submission. After all how thick are the lungs? No life ,without lungs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1364
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: TC bullet prices!   October 10th 2017, 7:46 pm

Maxi balls and Mini balls are known to badly lead your barrel, the Civil War guys are always talking about these issues whether factory or home cast. Some of the Civil War blogs talk about different ideas with lubes, charges, primers, you name it.....

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: TC bullet prices!   

Back to top Go down

TC bullet prices!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Projectiles-
Jump to: