Share | 

open sights on 50 cal Penn rifle

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ART

Male Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2017-09-03

PostSubject: open sights on 50 cal Penn rifle   September 25th 2017, 11:54 am

this is what I assume to be the sight picture looking from rear sight to tip of front blade sight??? any thoughts are welcome and thanks--Art

jeager106

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2017-07-17

PostSubject: Re: open sights on 50 cal Penn rifle   September 25th 2017, 1:03 pm

Art that's the way I set up my sights for 60+ years.
SIXTY YEARS???????????????????????????????????????? I'm getting old.
A LOT better than not getting old! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ART

PostSubject: Re: open sights on 50 cal Penn rifle   September 25th 2017, 1:36 pm

jeager101--you have one foot on the plateau of age impairment--along way to go, thanks for confirming my thought on aim, still have a lot of work to do before gun season but I am enjoying it--be well.--Art

csitas

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2017-08-26

PostSubject: Re: open sights on 50 cal Penn rifle   September 26th 2017, 8:49 am

The only trouble with that sight picture is ,  your not useing the sight to your advantage. You are only set up for a single yardage. If you started a lower picture in the buckhorn, you could reach out further and still be on the money.Myself, I like not being tied down, never know when something will step out ,and you'd have to pass cause it's to far for your sight. I don't know what distance your setup for but, the picture you show should be your longest max shot. I would at least put a fifty setting in the middle.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ART

PostSubject: Re: open sights on 50 cal Penn rifle   September 27th 2017, 8:22 am

Mr. Csitas-thanks for your reply--maybe I did not make my post but I have an adjustable rear sight where I can raise or lower same, I want to go out again and sight in using above sight picture and adjust rear sight for elevation at 50 and 100 yards---am I on the right path????--thanks Art

csitas

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2017-08-26

PostSubject: Re: open sights on 50 cal Penn rifle   September 27th 2017, 8:30 am

Yes Art, Try to get your 50 yd in the center of the the buckhorn. If it's made proper, your 100 yd. should be at the top ,like your picture showed. Set up that way you will be covered from one to 100 yds, and with a little practice you'll learn the in betweeners. Might have to file the front sight. Just by changeing your sight    "picture"   you'll have all these distance options.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1364
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: open sights on 50 cal Penn rifle   October 8th 2017, 10:03 am

I've seen this chart on different blogs, this one looks similar put was the original from the NMLRA (National Muzzleloading Long Rifle Association) in 1947. I don't know if they are still around or had a name change?

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: open sights on 50 cal Penn rifle   

Back to top Go down

open sights on 50 cal Penn rifle
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Optics-
Jump to: