Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

MUZZLELOADING FORUM

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Ads

Share | 

New member from NYS

Go down 
AuthorMessage
mlrifleNY

Male Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2017-09-25

PostSubject: New member from NYS   September 25th 2017, 4:27 pm

New here but have been muzzleloading for† 40 years. Mostly with a flintlock. I have also built all of my rifles from scratch, as in parts sets using in cut stocks.(as in not precarved)

We as in my family used to do the pre 1840 thing for over 20 years but now all the kids are out of the house and having some health issues we don't do it anymore. The wife likes to sleep in the bed at home now days. I still do some local shoots here in central NY but just out and back in a day. Being 66 and also heading for an old 67 (heart surgery) I'm glad to be home at night also.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ART

Male Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2017-09-03

PostSubject: Re: New member from NYS   September 25th 2017, 7:03 pm

welcome Jim--new here also from Indiana--born in Poughkeepsie and grew up in the hill country east of the Hudson river--love and miss the mountains of NY--, Dad was a dairy farm hand-be well ††
Art

Kentucky Colonel
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1685
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: New member from NYS   September 26th 2017, 6:59 am

Howdy and welcome

Florida Muzzleloaders Association†
Central Florida Muzzleloaders†
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador

Number of posts : 5863
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: New member from NYS   September 26th 2017, 10:58 am

Glad to have you here.†
What big town are you close to?

I lived in Rochester back in the '60s and saw a lot of the Finger Lakes area.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mlrifleNY

PostSubject: Re: New member from NYS   September 26th 2017, 1:15 pm

@patocazador wrote:
Glad to have you here.†

† Just west of Cortland. † Moravia
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador

Number of posts : 5863
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: New member from NYS   September 26th 2017, 4:06 pm

I think the closest I got to there was around Auburn. Pretty country.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokin' Joe

Male Number of posts : 2007
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: New member from NYS   September 26th 2017, 6:30 pm

Welcome to the forum Jim, glad you signed on!!

Semper FiÖÖ..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 2790
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: New member from NYS   September 27th 2017, 6:42 am

@mlrifleNY wrote:
New here but have been muzzleloading for† 40 years. Mostly with a flintlock. I have also built all of my rifles from scratch, as in parts sets using in cut stocks.(as in not precarved)

We as in my family used to do the pre 1840 thing for over 20 years but now all the kids are out of the house and having some health issues we don't do it anymore. The wife likes to sleep in the bed at home now days. I still do some local shoots here in central NY but just out and back in a day. Being 66 and also heading for an old 67 (heart surgery) I'm glad to be home at night also.

Jim

WELCOME Jim, you'll find for most part these guys whether new or old to the site are easy to get along with. A few hard asses†we all picked on have moved on to greener pastures I hope and are happy there. Where in NY are you, I'm from PA and use to hunt†several of the countries in mid NY.

I'm to the point that the ground seems a little less forgiving every time I sleep or fall on it.†Anymore I get my best†rest at home.†I started this way of life in 1955, have spent a load of bucks on the sport and should have my butt kicked at that time by my father and went a different direction. It's to late now so like you we are stuck between a rock and a hard spot - sleep on the ground or a soft bed.....

WELCOME

RonC
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2013-09-09

PostSubject: Re: New member from NYS   September 28th 2017, 1:56 pm

Welcome!
Some of us share your issues with health limitations and age, but are determined to keep up with our muzzleloading activities as much as possible. It is a fine group here and I am proud to be part of it.
Ron

Outside of a Dog, a Book is Manís Best Friend. Inside of a Dog, Itís Too Dark to Read. Groucho Marx (or possibly someone earlier)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Protrucker

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2017-10-26

PostSubject: Re: New member from NYS   October 29th 2017, 2:09 pm

@mlrifleNY wrote:
@patocazador wrote:
Glad to have you here.†

I'm only about an hour from you. I'm between the city of Binghamton & the PA line.... about 4 miles from PA.

I started with muzzleloaders in 1974 & hunted with them off & on for several years, slowly becoming more hooked each year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 3432
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: New member from NYS   October 30th 2017, 6:58 am

@Protrucker wrote:
@mlrifleNY wrote:
@patocazador wrote:
Glad to have you here.†

I'm only about an hour from you. I'm between the city of Binghamton & the PA line.... about 4 miles from PA.

I started with muzzleloaders in 1974 & hunted with them off & on for several years, slowly becoming more hooked each year.
Small world Protrucker.† †As a PA native†I plan to return again just south of you to Bradford County, PA in the future.† Rugged but beautiful country where I hunted near Dushore, PA.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mlrifleNY

PostSubject: Re: New member from NYS   October 30th 2017, 7:08 am

Thanks for the welcome. I hope to be around a long time. †

Jim

44 mag Henry BBB
1860 Henry in 45 colt
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rebs

Male Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2017-02-24

PostSubject: Re: New member from NYS   October 30th 2017, 7:24 am

Welcome Jim,
Glad to have you here. I share some of your health issues. Being 70yo I shoot 4 and 5 times a week weather permitting. Walking down range to setup my targets gives me some exercise. I am in the Niagara Falls area but not in the city, I have a country home on a nice piece of land that allows me to shoot hand guns in the back yard.
Bob
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mlrifleNY

PostSubject: Re: New member from NYS   October 30th 2017, 8:46 am

I also live in the country but don't have enough room to shoot here, only 2 acres but more road front than depth. I do however boarder some state land that I can use to do some shooting.

Jim

44 mag Henry BBB
1860 Henry in 45 colt
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Protrucker

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2017-10-26

PostSubject: Re: New member from NYS   October 30th 2017, 1:34 pm

@Marty wrote:
@Protrucker wrote:
@mlrifleNY wrote:
@patocazador wrote:
Glad to have you here.†

Small world Protrucker.† †As a PA native†I plan to return again just south of you to Bradford County, PA in the future.† Rugged but beautiful country where I hunted near Dushore, PA.
I've spent quite a bit of time working in the Dushore area. I used to work in the natural gas drilling/fracking business. Prior to that, at one time I used to pick up cows from farms down around there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: New member from NYS   October 31st 2017, 7:57 am

Protrucker, I know someone who is currently working in the natural gas drilling business in PA.† I've seen the drilling rigs and many of them are tucked away high up into the mountains.† Amazing What a Face how far technology allows them to drill underground.† The companies seem to hire a lot of truckers to transport cooling water to the rigs.† The water tanker trucks I saw always seemed to constantly be going up and down the mountain.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonC
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2013-09-09

PostSubject: Re: New member from NYS   October 31st 2017, 8:56 am

The trucks may be carrying the components for the drilling fluids, at least during the few weeks that are required for drilling the well. The spent drilling fluids are placed in containment ponds which ultimately are emptied into trucks to be taken for disposal.
Once the well is drilled, then many of the trucks are carrying "produced water" from the new wells to "re-injection wells". Most oil and gas wells contain water along with the product materials. I've been at some wells that produce 95% water and 5% gas, although new wells tend to contain a more gas and less water. That "produced water" must be disposed of and often is re-injected to deep aquifers in the subsurface. The produced water can't just be dumped in local waterways because it is contaminated with the oil or gas hydrocarbons and often with high levels of salt and other contaminants.

Outside of a Dog, a Book is Manís Best Friend. Inside of a Dog, Itís Too Dark to Read. Groucho Marx (or possibly someone earlier)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: New member from NYS   October 31st 2017, 10:09 am

Carl Walker of GRRW has one of his sons with experience in the oil fields using both methods used today for drilling wells (oil business is a big part of the jobs in Roosevelt UT). Car's son Gary is now in the southwestern part of PA as an adviser on drilling horizontal drilling (new to the area). This type of drilling has brought jobs to several of the eastern states.

Horizontal and vertical drilling are two different drilling techniques used to explore and develop oil and natural gas properties. Horizontal drilling has gained market share over the last few years and is now the dominant form of drilling in the United States.

Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: New member from NYS   October 31st 2017, 10:14 am

@Marty wrote:

For you guys, Dushore is a borough in Sullivan County, Pennsylvania,†with a†population was 608 at the 2010 census. Good hunting for some, have been there several times back in the 60's, never had any luck myself, too many hunters.

Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: New member from NYS   October 31st 2017, 1:10 pm

Buck', I'm very fortunate to have access to a hunting camp which owns historic farmland that abuts State Forest Lands in that area.† †Otherwise, yes...hunting pressure can be tense on public lands in that region of the state.† Double-digit buck tines always a possibility though for newcomers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: New member from NYS   October 31st 2017, 1:18 pm

@RonC wrote:
The trucks may be carrying the components for the drilling fluids, at least during the few weeks that are required for drilling the well. The spent drilling fluids are placed in containment ponds which ultimately are emptied into trucks to be taken for disposal.
Once the well is drilled, then many of the trucks are carrying "produced water" from the new wells to "re-injection wells". Most oil and gas wells contain water along with the product materials. I've been at some wells that produce 95% water and 5% gas, although new wells tend to contain a more gas and less water. That "produced water" must be disposed of and often is re-injected to deep aquifers in the subsurface. The produced water can't just be dumped in local waterways because it is contaminated with the oil or gas hydrocarbons and often with high levels of salt and other contaminants.
That's right RonC.† Any discharge with contaminates could only be discharged if it went through a treatment process which meets state discharge standards to waterways.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New member from NYS   

Back to top Go down

New member from NYS
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading! :: Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading-
Jump to: