Ads

Share | 

cva wolf breech plug threads getting dirty

Go down 
AuthorMessage
redear

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2016-12-12

PostSubject: cva wolf breech plug threads getting dirty   October 5th 2017, 6:38 pm

I didn't used to have a problem with the breech plug threads getting powder residue in them but now it seems I do. I haven't tried the Teflon tape yet but I will if I have too. does anyone have any insight on how to restore the seal on my breech plug, because the barrels breech plug threads are a bear to clean. I have three breech plugs and they are all getting dirty now and they have been quite firmly to size them. I see a lip up inside the barrel at the front of the threads, how does the plug seal on that lip? does it butt up against the lip or does the BP cup slide past the lip?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
redear

PostSubject: Re: cva wolf breech plug threads getting dirty   October 8th 2017, 2:24 pm

I recleaned the barrel with hopes in case something was left in there from when I tried the blackhorn. I then wrapped the plug with the Teflon tape and screwed it in there, it surprised me that the plug still was fairly easy to screw in, I had the barrel off the gun and used the plug wrench to screw it in. now to resight the gun as I also put a DNZ mount and Nikon inline scope on there to improve the eye relief situation.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokin' Joe

Male Number of posts : 1997
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: cva wolf breech plug threads getting dirty   October 9th 2017, 7:03 am

Hello redear,  Maybe you have these but, here's a couple tools I use for cleaning breach barrel and plug threads.  I also wrap a couple patches around the brush,  wet it with bore cleaner and thread the brush in and out several times.  I also have a couple of small brushes, one "brass" and one "stainless steel".  Also shine a bright light in the breach and see if there is some stubborn carbon that may need a little more attention.  You might have to lightly scratch it off.  When everything is clean put a little "anti seize lube" on the breach plug threads and you are good to go.

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
redear

PostSubject: Re: cva wolf breech plug threads getting dirty   October 9th 2017, 10:37 am

thanks smoking joe, I did get the brush, and need to get the other wire cleaning donut there. I have been using 50 cal bronze brush with patches wrapped around it with bore cleaners, hoppes, butches, pre treated patches , ballistol etc. I found a 22 cal bronze brush held by the fingers and sawed back and forth through the threads of the plug in it's dirty spots will remove anything that is there regardless of how stubborn it is. want to shoot today but the wind is howling, I guess that storm Nate has pushed it's way on up to Virginia, we need rain anyway bad.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15248
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: cva wolf breech plug threads getting dirty   October 9th 2017, 11:36 am

If its a QRBP, it should not be getting any fouling into the threads. Could have gas cutting on the inside of the barrel. It just takes a tiny leak for it to start cutting in deeply.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com Online
redear

PostSubject: Re: cva wolf breech plug threads getting dirty   October 9th 2017, 5:58 pm

Ok, that does it, I'm gonna tell the wife you guys say I need a new gun. lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15248
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: cva wolf breech plug threads getting dirty   October 9th 2017, 7:00 pm

Just email cva, they'll probably send you a new breech plug to fit. If that doesnt fix it, they'll replace the barrel or entire rifle. Win win either way lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com Online
redear

PostSubject: Re: cva wolf breech plug threads getting dirty   October 16th 2017, 10:56 pm

My dirty wolf plug situation seems to be fixed. I used a little Teflon tape and cleaned the barrel extra good, and today when I took the plug out there was no dirt on the plug. the front lip of the plug was clean, thanks everybody and thanks Carlos! I like the tape thing too as it is really not any harder to screw in than before.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: cva wolf breech plug threads getting dirty   

Back to top Go down

cva wolf breech plug threads getting dirty
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: