Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Shooting the Barnes 250 with sabot

Go down 
AuthorMessage
patocazador

patocazador

Number of posts : 5853
Registration date : 2012-08-22

Shooting the Barnes 250 with sabot Empty
PostSubject: Shooting the Barnes 250 with sabot   Shooting the Barnes 250 with sabot EmptyOctober 8th 2017, 6:53 pm

I tried the Barnes 250 with EZ sabot in my Savage ML10II and it was accurate at 100 yds. I tried them today in my Sile Hawken Hunter with a 1:28 twist at 100 yds and they didn't hit the 4 ft. x 3 ft. backstop much less the target. I moved the target to 50 yds. and one hit 9 1/2 " left and 5" low.

Shooting the Barnes 250 with sabot Barnes10
You can see the perfect profile of the key-holed bullet.

I moved the target to 25 yards and tried again.
Shooting the Barnes 250 with sabot Barnes11
This time the keyhole was 3 1/2" left and 1" high.

After trying 3 different sabots, my utter disgust with this bullet reached new heights. I figured the scope was off and shooting left so I moved the target back to 100 yds and shot a 260 PT Gold with a crushed rib sabot and the same load of 63 grs. of BH 209 by weight (= 90 grs. by volume).
Shooting the Barnes 250 with sabot Pt_gol10
I don't know if it's the Barnes copper bullet or what but the PT Gold is my go-to bullet for hunting this year as it was last year. The Barnes can be used in The Savage if I ever decide to use it.

Funny thing is the Thor 250 gr. shot pretty good in my Hawken Hunter while it was inaccurate in the Savage ML10II.

Barnes X bullets give crappy accuracy in almost all of my center-fire cartridges too.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16111
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Shooting the Barnes 250 with sabot   Shooting the Barnes 250 with sabot EmptyOctober 8th 2017, 7:19 pm

WOW! Bullets hitting sideways sure isn't stabilizing for damn! Probably just a little to long or needing more powder.
Back to top Go down
https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3615
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Shooting the Barnes 250 with sabot   Shooting the Barnes 250 with sabot EmptyOctober 9th 2017, 5:47 am

Good range  Shooter  report pat'. 
Back to top Go down
bobbythehunter

bobbythehunter

Male Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2009-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Shooting the Barnes 250 with sabot   Shooting the Barnes 250 with sabot EmptyNovember 8th 2018, 3:40 pm

whats the twist rate in the savage if you don't mind my asking. they shoot great out of my CVA accura MR?
Back to top Go down

Shooting the Barnes 250 with sabot
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: The Shooting Range-
Jump to: