Share | 

had not been on board for a few weeks

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
skoger

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2015-09-30

PostSubject: had not been on board for a few weeks   October 10th 2017, 9:08 am

I have not been here for 2 weeks, due to being in the hospital for total hip replacement, that was 4 days, then 10 in my local hospital for rehab, before going home. In the one I had surgery, had a bad allergic reaction to tape used, thigh swelled up about 1/2 again its size, and when pulling the tape off, the skin under had blistered, student nurse did not understand, and before one supervising her could say something, she ripped the bandage off, taking about a 4" wide by 6" long place on each side of incision, down to muscle tissue!! Talk about painful, this has been worse than the hip replacement! Finally got home yesterday,wife gave me a haircut, got my first shower in 2 weeks, man that was priceless, them pan baths don't cut it! Today 15 days in, I am walking around my house with just a cane!! Our early ML seaon is 10-21,22-17, I am planning on hunting, wife will be helping me and a cousin, we are all hunting together. I aint horn hunting, just trying to fill the freezer. I have taken my 2 bonus does first week of archery season here in KY, they made #80 of burger and backstraps, good start on next years larder!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1509
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: had not been on board for a few weeks   October 10th 2017, 11:12 am

Wow. You've been through it. Seems like you are making a strong and rapid recovery! 
I'll be hunting Kentucky, too. It kills me to pay out of state fees. But, I am SO looking 
forward to being back in those woods with my oldest friends. You are lucky you've got 
the help and the woods so readily at hand!

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14623
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: had not been on board for a few weeks   October 10th 2017, 11:15 am

man you have been through a lot! Glad to see you back and doing well. Just be patient and let things heal and you'll be ready for hunting season!
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
RonC
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 866
Registration date : 2013-09-09

PostSubject: Re: had not been on board for a few weeks   October 10th 2017, 1:06 pm

Sorry to see that you have had to go through all that.

I have had reactions to tape in the past, but never as bad as yours.

I wish you a rapid recovery.
Ron

patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5361
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: had not been on board for a few weeks   October 10th 2017, 1:22 pm

Allergic reactions are a bitch when you're trying to recover. 
I hope you are successful come the 21st. That's our muzzie opener too.

I have had a cortisone shot in my left hip to try to postpone the inevitable replacement. I've had enough of hospitals and allergic responses .. don't want anymore.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
skoger

PostSubject: Re: had not been on board for a few weeks   October 10th 2017, 5:06 pm

Yep, I put this off for nine months, could not do so any longer. I really dodged a bullet, when doc got in, the tip of my femur was dying, nearly worn thru to marrow, He said one misstep and the top would have broken off and I would have collapsed there, or when bone marrow would have gotten into my blood stream, would have set up some bad blood poisoning. I had to take off work 3 weeks prior to surgery, could barely get thru the house. I also thought I would have a 4-6 inch incision, but due to cutting back bone to healthy tissue, I have a 13"incision, with 28 staples that were removed yesterday. Good thing I have nearly a year of paid sick time saved up!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
skoger

PostSubject: Re: had not been on board for a few weeks   October 22nd 2017, 4:12 pm

Update! Two days after posting this, I ended up with staff infection in my incision, trip to local ER had me on 2 hour trip to hospital where I had surgery. They took me in ER, then to room, started me on several IVs with antibiotics, for 4 days! During this time I felt like I was in my private horror film, blood and pus erupting from my incision, often a pint or more at a time, did this too many times to count!! The 5 rh day they did surgery, cutting thru alll 7 layers of muscle, removing all old stitches, cutting out any muscle infected, scraped the bone and joint then sewed me back up, putting time release beads of antibiotics they all layers. They sent me home 2 days later on bedrest and to bathroom only , no visitors due to my immune system being low. From 9-26 till 10-20, I hade been home 3 days and have lost #50! I am healing at a fat rate due to meds implanted, and God help due to a lot of Godly folks praying for me! Day after surgery, Doc told me that I had MRSA eating me up when operated, cut out z lot of dying tissue, and that I was lucky to live thru the operation, much less keep my leg!! He said my odds were 1-100, he hoped I realized how lucky I was! Just thought I would update you guys!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
John Neslen

Number of posts : 468
Registration date : 2015-02-28

PostSubject: Re: had not been on board for a few weeks   October 22nd 2017, 6:51 pm

I feel for ya partner, a staph infection almost put me in the happy hunting grounds. You have been through enough and I wish you a speedy recovery.

John
Back to top Go down
View user profile
skoger

PostSubject: Re: had not been on board for a few weeks   October 22nd 2017, 6:54 pm

Thanks John!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14623
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: had not been on board for a few weeks   October 22nd 2017, 6:59 pm

oh wow buddy, i am sorry to hear of the troubles! Thats got to be stressful on ones mind with the healing process. Just get some good movies and magazines and keep your mind busy and your brain moving. It will go by faster and a lot easier on you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
BigAl52
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2016-02-03

PostSubject: Re: had not been on board for a few weeks   October 22nd 2017, 7:37 pm

I wish you the best and this time I hope for a full recovery. Sounds like you have already paid your dues more than once. Al

TC Hawken 58 cal Green Mtn drop in barrel
TC Renegade 58 cal
GRRW 50 cal
GRRW 58 cal
Lyman GPR 54 cal flintlock L&R lock davis deerslayer trigger
Lyman Trade Rifle 54 cal
CVA Hawken 58 cal by Jonathan
Hawken Squirrel Rifle 40 cal by John Bergman
Pedersoli Penn Rifle 50 cal flintlock
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5361
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: had not been on board for a few weeks   October 23rd 2017, 3:39 am

Hospital staph is resistant to most antibiotics. Always check your hospital's rating. Some have very high staph & MERSA infection rates. Stay out of those hospitals.

If you ever watched a film of an orthopedist doing a knee or hip replacement, then you know it looks like a do-it-yourselfer trying to butcher a moose and then repair the mess he made with power tools. It's scary.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: had not been on board for a few weeks   

Back to top Go down

had not been on board for a few weeks
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Off Topic-Free for All :: Off Topic-Free for All-
Jump to: