Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Ads

Share | 

everything is comming together

Go down 
AuthorMessage
redear

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2016-12-12

PostSubject: everything is comming together   October 14th 2017, 6:07 pm

I took the wolf out today to sight in a new Nikon inline scope and was very surprised to find that the gun didn't kick nearly as much as it did with the shorter eye relief vortex I had on there. The only thing I can figure is that without having to crawl the stock with this new scope I am holding the gun on my shoulder differently, plus the new scope seems heavier. I am loving some other changes I have made too such as a DNZ game reaper scope mount and the rubber O rings I ordered to put in the primer pocket. I will clean the gun tomorrow and see how the Teflon tape worked out on the breech plug. the muzzleloader season starts nov. 4 here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 2456
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: everything is comming together   October 20th 2017, 7:55 pm

You better start sighting in for tight groups, time is flying redear.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
redear

PostSubject: Re: everything is comming together   October 20th 2017, 11:00 pm

Conner, the sighting in has been completed and the 295 power belt hp with t7 pellets has outshot all my premium bullets plus the blackhorn powder at 135 yards. lol  this combo has outshot Lehigh .452x265 cf bullets, barnes 250 t-ez's, xtp 240, 250 and 300 bullets including .430 240 size, power belt aerolite 250's , with blackhorn charges of varying volumes and t7 pellets too. they all shot decent but I hunt fields with 150 yard shots being common so I'm going with the one that holds up at the furthest distance I have at my range which is 135 yards. I like that inline scope and DNZ mount. the O rings in the primer pocket work great but you have to close the gun with a little force. I went to triple 7 primers with the pellets. Muzzleloader comes in November 4 I think, and the wife is trying to talk me into letting some of the smaller bucks walk this year, we will see, lol.  kip
Back to top Go down
View user profile
redear

PostSubject: Re: everything is comming together   October 20th 2017, 11:02 pm

Almost forgot to mention that the Teflon tape works great and I think I will continue doing that. great tip.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: everything is comming together   October 21st 2017, 8:21 am

@redear wrote:
Muzzleloader comes in November 4 I think, and the wife is trying to talk me into letting some of the smaller bucks walk this year, we will see, lol.  kip

That's a good idea, we still shoot the bigger animals and don't care about horn size anymore (you can't eat them).

Back to top Go down
Smokin' Joe

Male Number of posts : 2000
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: everything is comming together   October 21st 2017, 11:12 am

This year my motto is going to be: "Never pass up the first day what you would take on the last day".  I want some venison this year!   Very Happy

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Huntin_Dawg1215

Number of posts : 447
Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: everything is comming together   October 22nd 2017, 6:22 am

I think you my have found the combo. If you want big dear let the little ones walk. I shot a spike one time as my 2nd buck and then was doe hunting when a very nice 9 pt. came by. I made the comment to stop shooting spikes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: everything is comming together   October 22nd 2017, 8:11 am

At my age and past experiences of being an animal control agent, it didn't matter what the size we killed them. Used anything possible to get the white tails cornered, spotlight, calls, traps, whatever it took we killed them. Between four of us the DOW figured we killed over 1,000 animals in an 18 month contract for the wealthy in eastern PA (Remington's, Ford's, DuPont's, and other families of wealth that helped to built this country).  Deer raised hell with these estates landscape and flower beds is where we controlled them. After 18 months I stopped hunting for a few years, just couldn't shoot whitetails, finally moved west then shooting mulies was good. In 50 years of killing them size no longer mattered, just a meat hunter. If we wanted horns I'd wait until they dropped them and had more horns than I could use, then starting selling them.

Today the price of shed horns has gone through the roof. One rancher next to us feeds deer and elk all year long, he told me the prices gotten for shed horn more than pays for the feed and his efforts to do this. DOW even helps with protection of the 10,000 acre ranch with signs and wardens during hunting seasons.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: everything is comming together   

Back to top Go down

everything is comming together
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: