Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Panhandle Bow Hunt

Go down 
AuthorMessage
patocazador

patocazador

Number of posts : 5852
Registration date : 2012-08-22

Panhandle Bow Hunt Empty
PostSubject: Panhandle Bow Hunt   Panhandle Bow Hunt Empty2017-10-28, 10:34

I drew a bow hunt about 200 miles north of me for this week. A cold front moved through on Tuesday and I scouted all day Wed. and only found one spot that looked good but it was 1 1/2 miles from the nearest access. I decided to put my stand next to a long cypress swamp on an overgrown 2-track. The next morning it was 46 deg. and I had on 2 t-shirts under a long-sleeved shirt. That's all I had. It had been hot down at home. I shivered and froze until the sun came up. I saw nothing.

So I decided to go back to the far spot and carried my stand and crossbow the 1 1/2 miles and realized I left the cocking pulley rope back at the truck. I climbed the tree anyway and sat until dim dark. The next morning I came back. It was 41 deg. and I froze worse. However, I saw 8 deer from 7:50 until 11:30. The closest one (a big doe) got to 40 yards before she stopped, looked to the side and bounced a few yards looking back. I had to guess at the range and took a shot using the 45 yard pin. The arrow went under her chest. I later stepped it off at 51 yards.

Panhandle Bow Hunt Lkedwa10

I took solace in the fact that I wouldn't have to drag the deer 1 1/2 miles to the truck and then go back for all the gear and stand. But that backstrap sure would have tasted good. Crying or Very sad

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
Vincem
Forum
Forum
Vincem

Male Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2016-10-02

Panhandle Bow Hunt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Panhandle Bow Hunt   Panhandle Bow Hunt Empty2017-10-28, 19:59

Cool that you got some action. I hunted last week in an Eastern Colorado river bottom and saw 4 deer in 5 days. One morning at first light it was 21 degrees and that afternoon it rose to 82 degrees, now that's a temperature swing! Tag soup.

patocazador

patocazador

Number of posts : 5852
Registration date : 2012-08-22

Panhandle Bow Hunt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Panhandle Bow Hunt   Panhandle Bow Hunt Empty2017-10-29, 09:19

"Cool that you got some action."

That action was the first I've had this season. I've been bow and muzzie hunting since the middle of Sept. I hadn't even seen a deer from my stands until this week.

"One morning at first light it was 21 degrees and that afternoon it rose to 82 degrees, now that's a temperature swing!"

Yeah, bundle up in the morning and then strip down as you walk back ... freezing and then sweating.
It must really get old after 5 days of it.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
Vincem
Forum
Forum
Vincem

Panhandle Bow Hunt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Panhandle Bow Hunt   Panhandle Bow Hunt Empty2017-10-29, 10:58

Every year I hunt eastern Colorado or Nebraska for whitetails and swear that I am going to move out there......after 4 or 5 days of dust and wind I turn west and head back to the mountains!

Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3490
Registration date : 2015-10-20

Panhandle Bow Hunt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Panhandle Bow Hunt   Panhandle Bow Hunt Empty2017-10-29, 18:27

Vincem wrote:
Every year I hunt eastern Colorado or Nebraska for whitetails and swear that I am going to move out there......after 4 or 5 days of dust and wind I turn west and head back to the mountains!

Vince,

We use to hunt around the Smoky Hills River basin and the Wallace ranch lands for years. Our old rancher friend passed on and the kids stopped everyone from hunting the 21 sections 60 miles south of Goodland. There were old buffalo hunt mounds all over there where the hunters and hiders shot down anything that moved in the 1880's and 90's.

Back to top Go down
Vincem
Forum
Forum
Vincem

Panhandle Bow Hunt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Panhandle Bow Hunt   Panhandle Bow Hunt Empty2017-10-29, 20:20

Buck Conner wrote:
Vincem wrote:

Vince,

We use to hunt around the Smoky Hills River basin and the Wallace ranch lands for years. Our old rancher friend passed on and the kids stopped everyone from hunting the 21 sections 60 miles south of Goodland. There were old buffalo hunt mounds all over there where the hunters and hiders shot down anything that moved in the 1880's and 90's.
It's really cool country with a lot of history. I'd like to look for arrowheads out there.
Back to top Go down
http://mohawkbows.com
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Panhandle Bow Hunt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Panhandle Bow Hunt   Panhandle Bow Hunt Empty2017-10-29, 20:34

We found rimfire Henry rifle cases, arrowheads, pieces of painted buffalo skulls, lots of tin cans with lead soldered bottoms, old hardware left when the hiders packed up camp. Very old 45/70 to 50/110 cases from the buff hunters, tin canteens, old whiskey, medicine, jars and glass bottles. We would dig in the old dumps by the mounds, lots of bones and buff teeth.

Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Panhandle Bow Hunt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Panhandle Bow Hunt   Panhandle Bow Hunt Empty2017-11-01, 09:05

Folks if you want to talk about bows, there a member that makes some nice ones right here, speak up Vincem

Back to top Go down
Kentucky Colonel

Kentucky Colonel

Male Number of posts : 1775
Registration date : 2015-10-28

Panhandle Bow Hunt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Panhandle Bow Hunt   Panhandle Bow Hunt Empty2017-11-01, 18:15

Buck Conner wrote:
Folks if you want to talk about bows, there a member that makes some nice ones right here, speak up Vincem

That is interesting.

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
Vincem
Forum
Forum
Vincem

Panhandle Bow Hunt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Panhandle Bow Hunt   Panhandle Bow Hunt Empty2017-11-02, 07:53

Buck Conner wrote:

Thanks Buck, you can see my stuff at http://www.mohawkbows.com/. I have been building bows since the late 80's and made it an official business about ten years ago.
Back to top Go down
http://mohawkbows.com

Panhandle Bow Hunt
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: The Hunting Lodge :: Off Topic-Hunting Lodge-
Jump to: