Just Bought A Gun

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 9976
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Just Bought A Gun   October 30th 2017, 11:02 am

Well, this is quite a compromise for me. As I mentioned in my other recent posts I have to get away from the long barreled Hawkens. My back just can't handle it anymore. Plus, carrying a 9-10lb gun up these mountains is wearing me out.

I wanted a short barrel and weighed in the 7 1/2lb range. Of course it has to be a sidelock. At first†I was going to get a .50 so i'd have the option of using conicals, but the more I thought of it I don't want to use anything but a PRB and Goex. I also want it to be a new gun with a warranty.

†So, that cut down the options to only one gun. the Lyman Deerstalker. 24' barrel and weighs 7 1/2lbs. Perfect. I got it in .54 so I have a bit more punch for bear and elk.

Here she is.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15125
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Just Bought A Gun   October 30th 2017, 11:13 am

That certainly will do the job. †Not sure about that sissy pad!
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Just Bought A Gun   October 30th 2017, 11:42 am

Yeah, I wouldn't have put the pad on it, but if I ever†feel like shooting a conical it will be welcome.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vincem

Male Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2016-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Just Bought A Gun   October 30th 2017, 1:00 pm

Lyman is a great company and that will be a pleasure to carry for sure, I been luggin around a 9 1/2 pounder and it's getting old.

Kentucky Colonel
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1578
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Just Bought A Gun   October 30th 2017, 3:08 pm

Hey! That'll put food on the table! I think it is a good choice and it looks good.†

AND, some that are super, super fine? The owners use†synthetic powder. Synthetic! I ain't naming any names, but don't let Jon give you any grief about a supposed "sissy pad." He ain't got no couth.†:ROFL

Florida Muzzleloaders Association†
Central Florida Muzzleloaders†
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Just Bought A Gun   October 30th 2017, 3:28 pm

Recoil pads are allowed when you pass 70 years old.† Very Happy

You can tell they had hunting in mind when they made this gun. They blackened all the metal and the sling swivels. I love set triggers for target work, but not for hunting, so I'm glad to see the single trigger. Easy to shoulder and point and easy to carry. Lyman makes a really nice peep sight and i'm†sure i'll†put one on. It bolts right on the tang for this gun.

It's a well thought out hunting gun and that's all I wanted.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador

Number of posts : 5788
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Just Bought A Gun   October 30th 2017, 5:45 pm

Good choice. I've used a recoil pad for 20 years. It helps a lot with my bad shoulders.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Just Bought A Gun   October 30th 2017, 6:34 pm

Thanks, Bob.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
BrownBear

Number of posts : 292
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Just Bought A Gun   October 30th 2017, 7:54 pm

That's been my wife's favorite rifle and caliber for a lot of years now. Lotta other guns in the rack, but that's the one she takes hunting year after year.† Probably one of the most accurate rifles we own, but I'm mostly guessing. She barely lets me shoot it!

Just a note on her rifle- I found it's favorite "hunting" load to be 80 grains of Goex 3f under a .530 home-cast with a ticking patch, TOW mink oil tallow for lube.†

But my wife wants no part of "so much" recoil and noise. She shoots ragged holes with 60 grains of 3f Goex and has made many a deer regret her choice. Never recovered a single ball from a deer in all the years, though she does hold all her shots to 50 yards.

You're likely to be real happy with the gem, especially in 54 cal. In fact, for both my wife and I the 54 balances and "hangs" better than the 50 we were able to shoot.† Only hickup, Lyman nipples don't seem to like CCI caps, which are just enough too small that they sit too high and occasionally misfire. Swap out for almost any other nipple and no sweat.† The Lyman nipple is fine with Remington caps, but those darned CCIs....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jotjackson

Male Number of posts : 303
Registration date : 2015-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Just Bought A Gun   October 30th 2017, 10:08 pm

Looks like a fine hunting rifle.

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Just Bought A Gun   October 31st 2017, 7:28 am

@BrownBear wrote:
That's been my wife's favorite rifle and caliber for a lot of years now. Lotta other guns in the rack, but that's the one she takes hunting year after year.† Probably one of the most accurate rifles we own, but I'm mostly guessing. She barely lets me shoot it!

Just a note on her rifle- I found it's favorite "hunting" load to be 80 grains of Goex 3f under a .530 home-cast with a ticking patch, TOW mink oil tallow for lube.†

But my wife wants no part of "so much" recoil and noise. She shoots ragged holes with 60 grains of 3f Goex and has made many a deer regret her choice. Never recovered a single ball from a deer in all the years, though she does hold all her shots to 50 yards.

You're likely to be real happy with the gem, especially in 54 cal. In fact, for both my wife and I the 54 balances and "hangs" better than the 50 we were able to shoot.† Only hickup, Lyman nipples don't seem to like CCI caps, which are just enough too small that they sit too high and occasionally misfire. Swap out for almost any other nipple and no sweat.† The Lyman nipple is fine with Remington caps, but those darned CCIs....

Funny you should recommend that load. I was thinking 80gr of Goex 3F was what I was going to try in the gun. I've been a fan of Mink Oil for a decade too. Maybe longer. It should be fine for elk. At my age that means a cow elk. I'm only after meat and i've never tasted a bad cow. I can't say the same for bulls. Some are good, some not so good. I would imagine the herd cow might be bad tasting too, but I always leave her alone.

†Deer is not really on my list. It's hard to get a muzzleloader deer tag in this area. These muley's taste like sage to me. Most of it ends up being meat for my dog. Same thing for bear meat. That's fine though, because it leaves me the elk meat. I love it and can eat it everyday of the year and not get tired of it. My dog is my whole family and he eats as much meat as me. I like hunting for meat for both of us. Bear and deer for him and elk for me.† Very Happy

Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Just Bought A Gun   October 31st 2017, 7:32 am

Thanks for all the comments guys. I'd prefer an accurate Hawken, but the time has come to be practical. The Deerstalker suits me better, and your encouragement helps me accept it better.

Thanks†† :rtup

Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonC
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 994
Registration date : 2013-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Just Bought A Gun   October 31st 2017, 10:19 pm

All of my percussion cap rifles and most of my long-barreled flintlocks are heavy weights. Like Bear Claw says, they are fine for target shooting. But, had I been able to go hunting this year, I would have looked for a lighter weight rifle.
Ron

Outside of a Dog, a Book is Manís Best Friend. Inside of a Dog, Itís Too Dark to Read. Groucho Marx (or possibly someone earlier)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador

PostSubject: Re: Just Bought A Gun   November 1st 2017, 5:50 am

"†But, had I been able to go hunting this year, I would have looked for a lighter weight rifle.†
Ron"

Gee Ron, you mean you can't go hunting yet? Get a new doctor that will let you have some fun.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonC
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Just Bought A Gun   November 1st 2017, 7:09 am

Had to go back to physical therapy to work on my walk. It turns out that it can take as much as 2 years to fully recover from a completely torn quadriceps. The second tear and surgery in February set the clock of recovery back significantly.
The positive side is that the injured left leg is getting stronger with regular exercise and I no longer am using a cane.
Basketball playing and break dancing does not seem to be in my immediate future. Smile
Ron

Outside of a Dog, a Book is Manís Best Friend. Inside of a Dog, Itís Too Dark to Read. Groucho Marx (or possibly someone earlier)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Just Bought A Gun   November 1st 2017, 8:07 am

Breakdancing would be fun to watch. Can you spin on your head?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonC
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Just Bought A Gun   November 1st 2017, 8:30 am

Bear Claw wrote:
Breakdancing would be fun to watch. Can you spin on your head?
There would be low friction if I did spin on my head!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Just Bought A Gun   November 1st 2017, 8:47 am

Use some of Jon's patch lube.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Just Bought A Gun   November 1st 2017, 2:16 pm

Gun is supposed to be here Friday. I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas.

I don't wait very good.† pale

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15125
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Just Bought A Gun   November 1st 2017, 2:32 pm

remember about the rifling in those guns. Sharp!
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Just Bought A Gun   November 1st 2017, 2:35 pm

I'll shoot them smooth.

Unless you send me some shoot out. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Roaddog

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2016-10-19

PostSubject: Re: Just Bought A Gun   November 2nd 2017, 7:08 am

Glad to see your back in the game Bear Claw.That rifle should be just the ticket.Is there still time for ya to Elk hunt this year?I hope so.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Just Bought A Gun   November 2nd 2017, 7:28 am

No, not at all. All planning is for next year now.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador

PostSubject: Re: Just Bought A Gun   November 2nd 2017, 8:22 am

Call up some coyotes for practice in the meantime. The pelts bring fairly good money in the winter. You can patch the holes.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Just Bought A Gun   November 2nd 2017, 9:24 am

I would Bob and I like doing that. The problem is the $700 I have to pay to fix my Jeep has taken all the money I have now. So, i'm getting the gun tomorrow but won't have money to buy shooting supplies.

It's ok. I'm patient.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just Bought A Gun   

Back to top Go down

Just Bought A Gun
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: