Just Bought A Gun

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Hanshi

Male Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2015-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Just Bought A Gun   November 2nd 2017, 11:21 am

Nothing like a convenient size rifle in the bush.  I've owned a few and still have a Mike Lange built .45 with a 25" barrel.  He calls them "Rugrat" rifles because they are meant for kids.  It's the perfect size for me.  That rifle is going to be a great "bush" rifle.  You did good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.martialartsusa.com
Bear Claw

Male Number of posts : 9680
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Just Bought A Gun   November 3rd 2017, 10:38 am

Well, I just got the gun and couldn't be more pleased. It fits me perfect. LOP is perfect and the sights line up with my eyes closed. It mounts fast and points like a shotgun.

Maybe, I should have done this years ago instead of waiting so long to get sensible. It's got a much thicker recoil pad than what the picture shows. With that and a PRB it should be comfortable to shoot.

If I start to talk about shooting heavy conicals give me a slap up side the head. Hard! I'm stubborn.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hanshi

PostSubject: Re: Just Bought A Gun   November 3rd 2017, 11:28 am

Bear Claw, I'll be happy to slap sense into you if your breath even smells like conicals!  If you just dream about conicals, I want you to call me up and apologize.  

All seriousness aside, I hunted a LOT with shorties not many years back.  Even now my go-to deer rifle is a 36" flintlock which is short for most traditional rifles.  It's light weight makes it a fine woods rifle.  The little rifle pictured killed deer for me for over 20 years.  .50 X 24" barrel.

" />
Back to top Go down
Bear Claw

PostSubject: Re: Just Bought A Gun   November 3rd 2017, 12:17 pm

Deer would never be a problem for me. Probably not even elk. It's the bear that gives me concern. Even though i've hunted for them since the late 50's. I still give them a lot of respect. I've been charged more than once. At my age and alone deep in the mountains. They hang out in the thickest brush and you can be on top of them before you know it. I don't carry any backup weapon, so my one shot needs to count.

It's the only time a big 400gr lead conical enters my mind. Most guys hunt in a tree for bear with bait. They have time for the perfect shot. I don't have that option. It's on the ground stalking. A big conical is comforting if I need to blast through a front shoulder.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14783
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Just Bought A Gun   November 3rd 2017, 2:02 pm

ahhh you aint hunting no damn bear! That 54 will do it all for you with round ball, especially how you hunt from the open top jeep parked on the side of the paved road Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: Just Bought A Gun   November 3rd 2017, 2:12 pm

@FrontierGander wrote:
ahhh you aint hunting no damn bear! That 54 will do it all for you with round ball, especially how you hunt from the open top jeep parked on the side of the paved road Very Happy

Wasn't it you who whined about shooting an elk that was too far to haul back? At your age that should be against the law.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hanshi

PostSubject: Re: Just Bought A Gun   November 3rd 2017, 2:22 pm

I noticed an errant revolver showed up in my post.  I have no idea how it got there so please forgive.
Back to top Go down
Bear Claw

PostSubject: Re: Just Bought A Gun   November 3rd 2017, 2:25 pm

I was wondering what you were trying to tell me. Very Happy

To all those new on the forum. Me and Jon rag on each other all the time. Don't take any of it seriously.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw

PostSubject: Re: Just Bought A Gun   November 3rd 2017, 2:53 pm

I'll go ahead and use the PRB for bear. I might pour in a little extra powder though. Remember the old expression............Loaded for bear!

I believe that meant a double ball load too, but that was for grizz.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just Bought A Gun   

Back to top Go down

Just Bought A Gun
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: