Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

MUZZLELOADING FORUM

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Ads

Share | 

New member from East Texas

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dragonheart

Male Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2017-11-08

PostSubject: New member from East Texas   11/8/2017, 12:25 pm

Hi All! 

I am a new member and returning to shooting black powder rifles (traditional).  I shot several years ago and excited about returning to hunting and shooting muzzle loaders.  I have never attended a rendezvous, but an experience I have longed to have for many years.  I have been a traditional bowhunter for many years.  Looking forward to learning as much as I can on this here site.  

Shooting a .50 caliber Lyman Great Plains rifle, 1-60 twist.  My brother made this bag and buffalo horn for himself many years ago and gifted them to me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dragonheart

PostSubject: Re: New member from East Texas   11/8/2017, 12:30 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador

Number of posts : 5862
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: New member from East Texas   11/8/2017, 1:23 pm

Glad to have some young (comparatively) blood on the forum. It helps the gene pool.  :tup2

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kentucky Colonel
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1730
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: New member from East Texas   11/8/2017, 2:55 pm

Welcome. 

That is a nice legacy your brother left with you. Individual, hand made stuff with a connection/story is the best, in my opinion.

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Smoke

Male Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2016-01-28

PostSubject: Re: New member from East Texas   11/8/2017, 4:49 pm

I"m in Nacogdoches.  Where abouts these pineywoods you hidin' out in?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15691
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: New member from East Texas   11/8/2017, 5:34 pm

welcome to the forum! Awesome to have you with us! Your brother did a damn fine job on that bag, very clean lines. I like that a lot.

Jonathan
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com Online
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 3432
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: New member from East Texas   11/9/2017, 5:54 am

Welcome Dragonheart.  Always great to see another archer join the group. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 3432
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: New member from East Texas   11/9/2017, 6:04 am

@patocazador wrote:
Glad to have some young (comparatively) blood on the forum. It helps the gene pool.  :tup2
If Dragonheart is "young" blood...then what gene pool is our Founder Question scratch Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 2950
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: New member from East Texas   11/9/2017, 9:23 am

You want to know about doing the rendezvous thing, WARNING; take your time and do a lot of looking before you purchase anything. There's thousands of items in the market place today, which gives you lots of options. The biggest draw back is a trader will tell you anything to make a sale, correct or not for the time period of interest. Believe me when starting this life style over 60 years ago I would believe everyone, then find I was sold a bill of goods (mix - match or 75 -100 years difference in time frames). A gentlemen that had been doing the encampments and living off the ground came to my house and we went through everything that I was so proud of for being a mountain-man. Turns out my selection of goods covered anywhere from the F&I War to the Westward Movement. My reasoning was you could use the older items as one didn't throw wares away they used them. I was informed that may be true but if used daily they would have been used up and thrown away when the item started to fail. Makes sense, but never crossed my mind trying to use items from 1775 in 1840 time period.

Bottom line is RESEARCH - RESEARCH - RESEARCH - you'll do a lot of reading but you'll save thousands of dollars by doing this. The biggest problem with listening to others is many are just talkers, have done no research and are just repeating what had been passed down a dozen time (you know how that goes, there's always things added or left out).

Now that I put you to sleep reading this and your not sure now about rendezvous don't be. Just go a few times, do some research on the time period you like and you'll be going in the right direction. You need to know the time period, this will save you your funds.

When I started out I was jumping all over the place. That was a big costly mistake, I ended up with some pretty neat garage sales in getting my act together.

Your brother has set the stage for you with the style of bag, rifle and buffalo horn, your looking at being a late mountain man 1830-1850 period. Most guys and gals start here. Then you'll find a new movie comes out now many are going to that time frame, now having two periods of goods $$$.

If you have a question please ask here and we'll try and give an educated reply with documented references. Always research the documented information, there may be items of interest left out. 

Last edited by Buck Conner on 11/9/2017, 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 2950
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: New member from East Texas   11/9/2017, 9:33 am

WELCOME (forgot to say this). You'll find a few crusty characters hiding out here, but you'll find Pete and KC are really kind at heart.   Rolling Eyes   scratch  2c

PostSubject: Re: New member from East Texas   11/9/2017, 10:08 am

I am in Nacogdoches also.  Thank you for the welcome and information!  I am learning some about our wonderful past of the fur era, but very much a greenhorn!  The caution on the rendezvous gear is heard and appreciated.  I am not very experienced in the black powder, have shot some at targets and taken one whitetail with a black powder rifle many years ago.  

Taken multiple critters with a trad bow, so not new to hunting and feel those same skills of bowhunting will only complement the black powder hunting.  There really is a magical quality to that smell of burning black smoke.  I really like close shots...partial too em' so to speak.  LOL.  Hopeful to get to hunt this weekend with the smoke pole.  The welcoming environment here is very appreciated!  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New member from East Texas   

Back to top Go down

New member from East Texas
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading! :: Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading-
Jump to: