View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14623
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: That was a close call!   November 8th 2017, 5:05 pm

Was sitting at my laptop today when it just went black... Awesome! Restarted it, zero, notta!

I was talking to my dad about it and he said he read about this issue where the lap top becomes so hot that the solder from the video card melts off a bit and the contact is lost.

I shut it down for a good 30 minutes,  turn it on and bam! back in business. I hurried my ass up and plugs in an external hard drive, copied over everything i had ( luckily i am organized!) and am now completely backed up and ready to go.

Installed all the files back over onto my PC and didnt lose a damn thing thank god!

I've had enough of these damn laptops, the are built so crappy. 2 years ago it did the same thing and i had to replace the entire motherboard. No more with this one, it will become a  target very soon Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
BigAl52
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2016-02-03

PostSubject: Re: That was a close call!   November 8th 2017, 7:17 pm

Laptops is all I ever use but Im over the windows junk. After windows 7 was ditched by micropuke I said Im not buyin anymore of your cheap disfunctional junk. I have a Mac Book now and Im not going back. I have had no trouble with it and its simplier to use than any Windows computer I have ever used.

TC Hawken 58 cal Green Mtn drop in barrel
TC Renegade 58 cal
GRRW 50 cal
GRRW 58 cal
Lyman GPR 54 cal flintlock L&R lock davis deerslayer trigger
Lyman Trade Rifle 54 cal
CVA Hawken 58 cal by Jonathan
Hawken Squirrel Rifle 40 cal by John Bergman
Pedersoli Penn Rifle 50 cal flintlock
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokin' Joe
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1772
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: That was a close call!   November 9th 2017, 5:24 am

When my Dell desktop goes belly up, which is getting quite old now, I'm switching to Apple myself.  Haven't made up my mind about going desktop or laptop yet.  My daughter has the used the Apple desktop for years and highly recommends it 100%.  I do have an Apple IPad and IPhone but don't like either for Web surfing or getting on the forum.

Semper Fi……..

Last edited by Smokin' Joe on November 9th 2017, 6:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BrownBear

Number of posts : 229
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: That was a close call!   November 9th 2017, 5:46 am

@Smokin' Joe wrote:
... I'm switching to Apple myself....
They have the most reliable gear I've found.  I've upgraded their laptop models now and then over the last 20+ years. Not because any of them broke. I just needed bigger, better, faster.  All the old ones still work, as a matter of fact in spite of me beating heck out of them.  Just sitting there in a pile collecting dust.  Got an Air model now and it's as fast as a desktop model and doesn't weigh a whole lot more than my wife's iPad. Has a full sized regular keyboard though, which I need for my stubby fingers and clumsy hands.

Yeah, I paid more for Apple. But I got a lot more for my money.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bazoo

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2017-11-13

PostSubject: Re: That was a close call!   November 13th 2017, 10:15 pm

I am using a HP chromebook.  It uses the google operating system.  I like it.   It dont give me nearly the trouble that the previously  dell computers did.   I only use it for getting online however.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonC
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 866
Registration date : 2013-09-09

PostSubject: Re: That was a close call!   November 14th 2017, 8:14 pm

I am a compulsive backup person. My computers are automatically backed up frequently onto an external hard drive using Macrium Reflect software. They also are backed up to a "Cloud" server. Additionally, files that are saved onto one computer are transferred to my other computer.

Ron

patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5361
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: That was a close call!   November 15th 2017, 4:46 am

I lost all my photos from 2004-2009 when my external hard drive failed. My son is a computer geek and he took it apart and tried to salvage them but it won't recognize any system he tried.  No

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: That was a close call!   

Back to top Go down

That was a close call!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Off Topic-Free for All :: Off Topic-Free for All-
Jump to: