Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

MUZZLELOADING FORUM

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Ads

Share | 

shooting patches

Go down 
AuthorMessage
rebs

Male Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2017-02-24

PostSubject: shooting patches   November 12th 2017, 8:41 am

is there a real advantage to cutting the patch at the muzzle compared to using pre cut patches ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador

Number of posts : 5863
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: shooting patches   November 12th 2017, 10:44 am

I never could understand cutting at the muzzle unless you want to dress up in antique clothes and do it to show you're a "genuine" mountain man. 

The pre-cut patches or ones that you pre-cut should be just fine.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BrownBear

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: shooting patches   November 12th 2017, 11:07 am

I've taken to cutting at the muzzle almost entirely. Biggest reason for me is cold weather and wind. Those itty bitty individual patches are perfect parachutes and tough to feel and hang onto when your fingers are freezing. A strip of patching is a snap. I just knot a strip of patching to the strap on my bag, and it's super handy for loading.

If using a loading block, I really love to "cut at the muzzle" when loading them up for carry. Loading the block with a strip, then slicing the patching off flush with the block leaves zip out there to hang up. That overcomes the biggest problem I've had with loading blocks using precut patches- All that extra patching sticking up above the loading block is real prone to snagging on stuff and dislodging the ball from the block.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 2665
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: shooting patches   November 12th 2017, 8:15 pm

@BrownBear wrote:
I've taken to cutting at the muzzle almost entirely. Biggest reason for me is cold weather and wind. Those itty bitty individual patches are perfect parachutes and tough to feel and hang onto when your fingers are freezing. A strip of patching is a snap. I just knot a strip of patching to the strap on my bag, and it's super handy for loading.

If using a loading block, I really love to "cut at the muzzle" when loading them up for carry. Loading the block with a strip, then slicing the patching off flush with the block leaves zip out there to hang up. That overcomes the biggest problem I've had with loading blocks using precut patches- All that extra patching sticking up above the loading block is real prone to snagging on stuff and dislodging the ball from the block.

Hank I agree with you and do the same whether in Levis or buckskins, we get a lot of wind and a lubed strip of pillow ticking is always there, patches can be questionable in these conditions.

patocazador doesn't have any wind, wait a minute that doesn't sound right for an old fart .... lol!

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
patocazador

Number of posts : 5863
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: shooting patches   November 13th 2017, 6:34 am

You're right, Buck. The southeastern US has an average wind speed of less than 10 mph. The only time we get 20+ mph winds is during storms. 

I was going to get a windmill to generate electricity but found out they need an average wind speed of 15 mph plus to break even on the costs.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BrownBear

PostSubject: Re: shooting patches   November 13th 2017, 6:43 am

You haven't lived till you try to peel apart lubed patches with old cold fingers!  Jeezopete.... I can't see well enough to know when I peel off more than one either.

Call me old, clumsy and fumbly, and you can see why I prefer a big long strip to hang onto! And a very sharp knife, of course.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: shooting patches   November 13th 2017, 7:19 am

@patocazador wrote:
You're right, Buck. The southeastern US has an average wind speed of less than 10 mph. The only time we get 20+ mph winds is during storms. 

I was going to get a windmill to generate electricity but found out they need an average wind speed of 15 mph plus to break even on the costs.

That's correct, we have a windmill farm down the road that helps feed the grid. They run very slow but like you say 15MPH will do the job. We probably have that as a normal flow then it will get up to 50MPH at times or higher (there goes the lawn chairs again).

Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15464
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: shooting patches   November 13th 2017, 11:13 am

Ive tested both and prefer precut. It offered better accuracy in my rifles for some reason. The biggest offering that cutting at the muzzle has to offer is that you have an easier time centering the ball in the strip of patch.

I use 54-58 caliber patches in my 50cals and it makes it a whole lot easier to center.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
rebs

PostSubject: Re: shooting patches   November 13th 2017, 11:43 am

I have been using the 40-49 cal patches in my 50 cal
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: shooting patches   November 13th 2017, 11:50 am

I'd go to the 54cal size patches. Those 40-49 cals are a real pain in the rear end to center up on.
Back to top Go down
rebs

PostSubject: Re: shooting patches   November 13th 2017, 11:53 am

I find it very easy to center on them. Guys at the ML club cut their 50 cal patches to 1" these pre cut are 1 1/8th "
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: shooting patches   November 13th 2017, 12:02 pm

1 1/8" should be perfect up to 54cal.
Back to top Go down
BrownBear

PostSubject: Re: shooting patches   November 13th 2017, 2:22 pm

Back when I was using precut patches an old time shooter showed me a neat trick.

The heck with all the photos showing you placing the patch on the muzzle then centering the ball. Instead wrap the patch around the ball before you set the whole works on the muzzle.  Perfectly centered every time, and in a hurry.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: shooting patches   November 13th 2017, 7:09 pm

@rebs wrote:
I find it very easy to center on them. Guys at the ML club cut their 50 cal patches to 1" these pre cut are 1 1/8th "
 Jon won't admit it, he really needs glasses lol! .....

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: shooting patches   

Back to top Go down

shooting patches
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Shooting Accessories & Hunter Misc.-
Jump to: