Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!


Muzzleloading Forum
 
HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in



Ads


Share | 
 

 Need a Possibles bag and Powder Horn

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hylander



Male Number of posts : 152
Age : 56
Location : CALIFORNIA
Registration date : 2017-11-07

PostSubject: Need a Possibles bag and Powder Horn   November 14th 2017, 7:46 pm

Not looking to break the bank.
What are some good ones.
What size?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum
avatar

Male Number of posts : 15276
Age : 34
Location : Boncarbo,Colorado
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Need a Possibles bag and Powder Horn   November 14th 2017, 8:27 pm

I highly recommend this bag!
http://www.buckskinjimmt.com/store/p28/Montana_Possibles_Bag.html

Cabelas or even ebay for an affordable powder horn.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
patocazador

avatar

Number of posts : 5837
Age : 75
Location : central Florida
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Need a Possibles bag and Powder Horn   November 15th 2017, 4:34 am

October Country has a nice one that I got and like.

http://www.octobercountry.com/beavertail-possible-bag/


_________________
Bob

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &
avatar

Male Number of posts : 2403
Age : 78
Location : Lehi Utah
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Need a Possibles bag and Powder Horn   November 15th 2017, 8:26 am

@patocazador wrote:
October Country has a nice one that I got and like.

http://www.octobercountry.com/beavertail-possible-bag/

The patterns that October Country uses are from originals possible bags found at the Museum of the Fur Trade in Chardon, NE.  When still manufacturing shooting bags, knife sheaths and patches we went to the museum and made patterns in the early 80's. At a gun show later in the 80's we ran into John Maciosek in 1983, very nice person, we talked about designs and shared our patterns taken a year or so before.The next year his ads showed they had changed or modified some of their designs of bags.  John sold the business and moved to ND and in short order he's back again bigger and better than before and just keeps growing as the years pass.

Like Bob says give them a look you'll be pleased with the quality of October Country wares.  :rtup

_________________
   CONTACT - GREEN RIVER RIFLE WORKS COLLECTORS ASSOCIATION - RIFLES & PISTOLS AT: grrw.ca@gmail.com   WEBSITE: http://grrw.ca.tripod.com/index.htm


.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
Hylander



Male Number of posts : 152
Age : 56
Location : CALIFORNIA
Registration date : 2017-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Need a Possibles bag and Powder Horn   November 15th 2017, 8:55 pm

@Buck Conner wrote:
@patocazador wrote:
October Country has a nice one that I got and like.

http://www.octobercountry.com/beavertail-possible-bag/

The patterns that October Country uses are from originals possible bags found at the Museum of the Fur Trade in Chardon, NE.  When still manufacturing shooting bags, knife sheaths and patches we went to the museum and made patterns in the early 80's. At a gun show later in the 80's we ran into John Maciosek in 1983, very nice person, we talked about designs and shared our patterns taken a year or so before.The next year his ads showed they had changed or modified some of their designs of bags.  John sold the business and moved to ND and in short order he's back again bigger and better than before and just keeps growing as the years pass.

Like Bob says give them a look you'll be pleased with the quality of October Country wares.  :rtup

So I see you need to choose left or right carry.
So I am right handed, what side and why does it matter?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum
avatar

Male Number of posts : 15276
Age : 34
Location : Boncarbo,Colorado
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Need a Possibles bag and Powder Horn   November 15th 2017, 8:59 pm

Check out the bags on our site as well, a few real nice ones for a great price,https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com/f2-the-mountain-man-emporium
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Kentucky Colonel
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &
avatar

Male Number of posts : 1632
Age : 109
Location : Luna
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Need a Possibles bag and Powder Horn   November 15th 2017, 10:59 pm

@Hylander wrote:
@Buck Conner wrote:
@patocazador wrote:
October Country has a nice one that I got and like.

http://www.octobercountry.com/beavertail-possible-bag/

The patterns that October Country uses are from originals possible bags found at the Museum of the Fur Trade in Chardon, NE.  When still manufacturing shooting bags, knife sheaths and patches we went to the museum and made patterns in the early 80's. At a gun show later in the 80's we ran into John Maciosek in 1983, very nice person, we talked about designs and shared our patterns taken a year or so before.The next year his ads showed they had changed or modified some of their designs of bags.  John sold the business and moved to ND and in short order he's back again bigger and better than before and just keeps growing as the years pass.

Like Bob says give them a look you'll be pleased with the quality of October Country wares.  :rtup

So I see you need to choose left or right carry.
So I am right handed, what side and why does it matter?

It simply matters for your preference. I can work from either side. As a right dominant hand, I tend to hang my possibles to the right. But, I have a nice belt possibles bag and I find it nice to be able to dip in with my left hand on my left side. Think about how and when and what conditions you will be reaching for things in your bag. Where do you carry a cell phone, belt knife, or pistol? Consider it and make the choice that fits best for you. You can always change according to the circumstance.

Brown Bear made a nice post here on the steps for making your own possibles bag. He also recommended a nice book that I picked up at his suggestion: Recreating the 18th Century Hunting Pouch, How to Create a Fine Aged American Rifleman's bag, full color, photos of 20 bags... by T.C. Albert It is carried by Track of the Wolf and they also carry a selection of ready made possibles bags to choose from.

_________________
"One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy 
over the good fortune of others." 
― Robert Heinlein


Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &
avatar

Male Number of posts : 2403
Age : 78
Location : Lehi Utah
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Need a Possibles bag and Powder Horn   November 16th 2017, 6:05 am

Good post KC and one that can be thought about on what the user is comfortable with.

_________________
   CONTACT - GREEN RIVER RIFLE WORKS COLLECTORS ASSOCIATION - RIFLES & PISTOLS AT: grrw.ca@gmail.com   WEBSITE: http://grrw.ca.tripod.com/index.htm


.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
BrownBear



Number of posts : 320
Age : 67
Location : Alaska
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Need a Possibles bag and Powder Horn   November 16th 2017, 6:43 am

@Hylander wrote:
So I see you need to choose left or right carry.
So I am right handed, what side and why does it matter?

Here's how I figured it out for me:

Which hand do you always carry your rifle in?

That's important, because with the bag on the other side I can use my free hand to keep it in place when going through brush, stooping under stuff or generally just moving around. Often it just means squeezing my elbow up against my side to trap the bag for a moment.

Other thought, if you're right handed you're likely to be holding the gun with your left during loading, then using your right to do most of the work. Which side is going to be easier to get to with your right hand?

I'm a lefty and carry my rifle in my left hand most times. It's also easier for me to get at the stuff in the bag if I have it on my right side and slide it over onto the middle of my body for loading. Seemed like the strap was often in my way when I had it on my left side and swung it to the middle of my body.  Yeah, I'm a lefty, and I carry my bag on my right side.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &
avatar

Male Number of posts : 2403
Age : 78
Location : Lehi Utah
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Need a Possibles bag and Powder Horn   November 16th 2017, 2:24 pm

When still actively hunting we would move through the woods like Chingachgook in the beginning of Last of the Mohicans. Wore our possibles bags under our arm that we shouldered the gun with (under upper arm so you could control it from bouncing around when running along with the powderhorn). This worked very nicely in those days and was easy to work with using the broken wrist method for getting needed items, (bags were always small in the 6 in x 7 in size). 

Use to make us laugh at some that wear a bag so low it's below their waist line, they never tried to move around the woods or hunt with it setup that way (every twig in the field would grab that loose bag).

Like said "if you're right handed you're likely to be holding the gun with your left during loading", that's how everyone I've watch does it.

Ron Paull mentioned that "Your a lefty, and carry your bag on your right side." We agreed with each to each his own ...   lol!

_________________
   CONTACT - GREEN RIVER RIFLE WORKS COLLECTORS ASSOCIATION - RIFLES & PISTOLS AT: grrw.ca@gmail.com   WEBSITE: http://grrw.ca.tripod.com/index.htm


.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
Hylander



Male Number of posts : 152
Age : 56
Location : CALIFORNIA
Registration date : 2017-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Need a Possibles bag and Powder Horn   November 16th 2017, 6:14 pm

How about this for a horn ?

Powder Horn
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nwtradegun



Number of posts : 12
Age : 67
Location : hoo hum
Registration date : 2016-08-26

PostSubject: bag and horn   November 21st 2017, 4:14 pm

http://www.deercreekgunshop.net/index.html good people family owned for 3 generations.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &
avatar

Male Number of posts : 2403
Age : 78
Location : Lehi Utah
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Need a Possibles bag and Powder Horn   November 21st 2017, 5:56 pm

@nwtradegun wrote:
http://www.deercreekgunshop.net/index.html good people family owned for 3 generations.
Their website shows only modern cartridge guns, no muzzleloaders or supplies for them.

_________________
   CONTACT - GREEN RIVER RIFLE WORKS COLLECTORS ASSOCIATION - RIFLES & PISTOLS AT: grrw.ca@gmail.com   WEBSITE: http://grrw.ca.tripod.com/index.htm


.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
nwtradegun



Number of posts : 12
Age : 67
Location : hoo hum
Registration date : 2016-08-26

PostSubject: bag   November 22nd 2017, 8:35 am

you need to call they are old school.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &
avatar

Male Number of posts : 2403
Age : 78
Location : Lehi Utah
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Need a Possibles bag and Powder Horn   November 22nd 2017, 9:08 am

@nwtradegun wrote:
you need to call they are old school.
They need to state that they do work on muzzleloaders, most will take one look and move to those that are well know for their muzzleloader repairs or have the parts wanted. In todays world everyone is busy and they don't go any further than what is shown in front of them. No one wants to call and talk to someone that their website shows cartridge guns only with no mention to what they are looking for, that's just the way things are today. Believe I have experienced this in the business world from antiques to telecommunication systems.

_________________
   CONTACT - GREEN RIVER RIFLE WORKS COLLECTORS ASSOCIATION - RIFLES & PISTOLS AT: grrw.ca@gmail.com   WEBSITE: http://grrw.ca.tripod.com/index.htm


.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Need a Possibles bag and Powder Horn   

Back to top Go down
 
Need a Possibles bag and Powder Horn
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Shooting Accessories & Hunter Misc.-
Jump to: