Muzzleloading Forum

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Ads

Share | 

Quick Question, Clean or Don't Clean? Swab? Dry Patch? Alcohol Patch?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mebits

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2014-03-18

PostSubject: Quick Question, Clean or Don't Clean? Swab? Dry Patch? Alcohol Patch?   November 15th 2017, 11:47 am

So, I'm going out for revenge tomorrow (hunting). The thing is, I don't have time to drive out to the range today. My barrel is dirty from shooting on Saturday, but was also dirty as heck from all those misfires.

I ran two dry patches down the barrel, which pushed out a little unburned BH209, and a lot of carbon crud.

I'm inclined to clean it well, but I worry about that first shot out of a clean gun (which for me tends to be high, maybe a little left). Is that the best alternative? Or should I just shoot it as is (two dry patches). Or, should I give it a couple more dry patches, or maybe an alcohol swab, then dry patch?

Recommendations?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15248
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Quick Question, Clean or Don't Clean? Swab? Dry Patch? Alcohol Patch?   November 15th 2017, 11:50 am

Shoot it as it is. I will normally dry patch the bore to remove a good deal of fouling. Always hunt with a clean breech plug/flash channel!
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com Online
Mebits

PostSubject: Re: Quick Question, Clean or Don't Clean? Swab? Dry Patch? Alcohol Patch?   November 15th 2017, 12:04 pm

@FrontierGander wrote:
Always hunt with a clean breech plug/flash channel!

Tattooed on the insides of my eyelids!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rebs

Male Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2017-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Quick Question, Clean or Don't Clean? Swab? Dry Patch? Alcohol Patch?   November 16th 2017, 3:40 am

Have you ever tried putting about 30 grs of powder in the barrel with no patch or ball to pre foul the barrel so your first shot is right on target ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mebits

PostSubject: Re: Quick Question, Clean or Don't Clean? Swab? Dry Patch? Alcohol Patch?   November 16th 2017, 12:57 pm

Update, got a nice fat doe this morning at 97 yards. Dead on. No issues. Left a hole in her side the size of a softball. DRT.

That's 110gr Blackhorn 209 pushing  a 260gr Harvester Scorpion out of a Pursuit UL.

I'm pleased. Thank you guys for being the great resource that you are! If I can shrink the pic today I'll upload it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 2367
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Quick Question, Clean or Don't Clean? Swab? Dry Patch? Alcohol Patch?   November 23rd 2017, 10:13 am

So guys what are we to do ...  "Clean or Don't Clean?"

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
Mebits

PostSubject: Re: Quick Question, Clean or Don't Clean? Swab? Dry Patch? Alcohol Patch?   November 23rd 2017, 3:00 pm

Dirty bore is best for me. One or two dry patches. CLEAN BREECHPLUG.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
strong eagle

Number of posts : 498
Registration date : 2016-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Quick Question, Clean or Don't Clean? Swab? Dry Patch? Alcohol Patch?   November 26th 2017, 9:13 am

lots of good mixed advice and good questions. to make sure your gun doesnt rust do this. mix ballistol and anti freeze and water in a bottle. after shooting 209 powder clean barrel with this mixture, wet then dry. then fire several 209 primers to clean and dry the breech. make sure breech plug hole is clean. wipe out the bore with dry patches to get the 209 primer dust out of the bore. before you load the next day fire a couple of 209 primer on a empty barrel. that dust is enough to foul the barrel for a accurate first shot. not all barrels need a slightly fouled barrel to shot spot on but some do. follow this and you can go wrong. good luck.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 2367
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Quick Question, Clean or Don't Clean? Swab? Dry Patch? Alcohol Patch?   November 27th 2017, 10:12 am

The bottom line is, if it works for you and your happy with it, then continue to use it. Over the years I have tried to reinvent the wheel many times and find in most situtations it was better left alone. Like your grandfather said "if it ain't broke don't screw with it".

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Quick Question, Clean or Don't Clean? Swab? Dry Patch? Alcohol Patch?   

Back to top Go down

Quick Question, Clean or Don't Clean? Swab? Dry Patch? Alcohol Patch?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: