Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1528
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Knife Handles   November 25th 2017, 8:37 am

I just ordered a few Green River knife blanks from Crazy Crow
I am rushing into trying to do handles on three knives. No, I have 
not done this before. I think I can do it, but could use some help.

I heard disparaging comments about the stainless steel kits so I went 
for a little better blank stock, but that means I lack instructions and hardware.

I have maple, cherry, and walnut from rifle blanks. Mabey buffalo horn

Any thoughts on the hardware? Thanks.

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JLBSparks

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2015-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Knife Handles   November 26th 2017, 12:12 pm

I got a Green River skinner from TOTW a coupla years ago. I think the rivets were about a buck apiece.

-Joe
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1721
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Knife Handles   November 27th 2017, 4:00 pm

Here's an example of the old style ways Green River Knives were pinned before 1886, then came the rivets seen on todays productions. Note the number of pins, the more pins seen the older the knife was. Just like today, as time passes even Green River was looking at faster ways to get the knives out to the customers. Old man Russell was no dummy, he made a fortune in the knife business. With the government's plan to put the Indians on the Reservations with the use of hiders and shooters at or near the end of the 1800's, that was what put GRK's over the top $$$$.

I got a wild hair and sold off my collection of Russell's Green River Knives (150-165 pieces). Only kept a few of the really rare ones (6, 5, 4, 3, and a 2) pinned knives with all with ebony handles [presentation type knives].

Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Knife Handles   November 27th 2017, 8:27 pm

Thanks Sparky! 

Thanks, Buck. Those pics and info were helpful. It is a little tough to sort the old from the new unless you already know. I did not. 

I'll let you know how much trouble I get into.

NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14688
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Knife Handles   November 27th 2017, 8:29 pm

reminds me, I picked up a bunch of oak planks today from my nephews place! The previous owner kept all the wood scraps from the cabinets and I  hope to make use of that wood.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Smokin' Joe
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1802
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Knife Handles   November 27th 2017, 8:34 pm

I tried making a small patch knife kit from Track of the Wolf.   I thought I was ready, applied the Epoxy glue and started placing the handles on the rivets.  I quickly found out I hadn't drilled one of the holes in the ram horn as straight as it should of been. Sad  I made a rookie mistake and a heck of a mess and threw the whole works in the trash can. 

Tip: Make sure the handles and rivets fit correctly on the blade before applying the Epoxy glue.  Very Happy

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Knife Handles   November 27th 2017, 8:45 pm

Watch Forged In fire. One hell of a knife making show! The skills some of those people have is just down right amazing.
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Knife Handles   November 27th 2017, 9:51 pm

When fitting your handles to the blade there are different thoughts as which is best. I personally like the old pinned look, have never been a fan of the rivets. When I make a knife (found Atlanta Cutlery had good prices and the blades weren't made in India like some), have found it easier for me to glue the handles on first then using a high speed drill bit the size of your pin - drill the holes at the spots you are wanting. I take a small file and rough the center of the pin a little to give your epoxy a surface to grip, place your pinned handle on an anvil peen over each end and cleanup with your file. Have done many of these over the years and they have provided good service and age nicely with use.

FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Knife Handles   November 27th 2017, 11:17 pm

Do I have to add a knife section to the forum?
Back to top Go down
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Knife Handles   November 28th 2017, 6:10 am

IDK, FG. We have talked knives before. But, I don't remember anyone building them. 

Buck, what is a good source for pins and rivets? It is kind of a niche. I can find them, but they seem to be an after thought for some businesses. And, pins can be made from just about anything, yes?

NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokin' Joe
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Knife Handles   November 28th 2017, 6:18 am

Track of the Wolf is probably one of many sources.  They do have brass pin material for muzzleloader building.  I use it for pinning barrels and hardware to stocks but also for pinning tips to ram rods. Hardware stores usually carry small diameter brass rods, not sure how small but might be with a look.

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Knife Handles   November 28th 2017, 7:48 am

@Kentucky Colonel wrote:
IDK, FG. We have talked knives before. But, I don't remember anyone building them. 

Buck, what is a good source for pins and rivets? It is kind of a niche. I can find them, but they seem to be an after thought for some businesses. And, pins can be made from just about anything, yes?
KC, for the best selections of rivets (solid brass and sometimes solid copper) is Tandy Leather Company, that's their business, leather and items related in making leather goods. TOTW and some of the others can be a crap shoot with knive blades, rivets, and some of the other items they carry are hit or miss at times. 

Most of these guys have nice website and catalogs that makes the viewer think they are very large. Here's an example: we started the idea of GRRW.CA in Nov. 2015 with our first gun order Jan. 2016. We had orders for all four custom gunsmith in mid Jan. 2016. Doc White is a very good friends with the TOTW owners (many of the gun schematics they sell Doc was the draftsman in producing them. Every few months you'll see guns for sale built by our guys like Doc or Carl Walker. 

So we have an "in" per say with the relationship between GRRW.CA and TOTW and get what is needed from either them or Muzzleloader Supply in the gun building business and use others for special items like wood or castings. I mentioned first orders, parts were purchased, within a few weeks another (4) parts sets were ordered. Then the back orders started, out of breech plugs, Long's flintlocks and the list continued.

Most of these business' carry limited supplies and are doing hand to mouth from their manufactures at times. When GRRW.CA got fired up and started ordering mult sets of parts, then the backorders. We started going to those that made the parts, some will sell in small quanities while others have agreements and can't help so you have to wait for the supplier.

Sorry guys this got a little longer than planned. 

For pins I like welding rod or any metal rod like those found at Lowes or Home Depot (they are soft enough to peen over easily). Hard material makes the job harder than it should be. 

I made a (5) skinner with ebony wood handles and brass pins for a customer that really jumped with the black wood and brass combination. Lots of neat combinations when you are working outside the box KC.

Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Knife Handles   November 28th 2017, 11:02 am

Thanks, Buck. Very helpful and relevant to what I am doing at the moment. Interesting, too. 

S. Joe? Thanks for the caution. That is the kind of thing I could do. Fore warned.

Now I know enough to get into serious trouble. Twisted Evil
I'll let you know.

NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Knife Handles   November 28th 2017, 1:52 pm

@Smokin' Joe wrote:
Track of the Wolf is probably one of many sources.  They do have brass pin material for muzzleloader building.  I use it for pinning barrels and hardware to stocks but also for pinning tips to ram rods. Hardware stores usually carry small diameter brass rods, not sure how small but might be with a look.

Your local model or man's hobby shops always have large selections of brass diameter rods. Always good to look, biggest problem I end up with more crap than really needed. The shop owner see's me and gets a box ready ? They always have those jigs for doing things like seen on TV ads: 

The wife always says; 
"What is that used for ?" 
"Why did you buy that ?" 
"How much was that ?"   Slap fight
"You have one of those are you going to sell the old one ..."  Rolling Eyes   Surprised   Very Happy

There's always the word "that" used ?  Question 
"Lady this is important stuff, hell I don't know why I brought - it was neat and I'll use it some day .... " jocolor

Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Knife Handles   November 28th 2017, 2:47 pm

@Kentucky Colonel wrote:
Now I know enough to get into serious trouble. Twisted Evil
Hell we all get in that position several times a year with our male egos ...  clown

Smokin' Joe
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Knife Handles   November 28th 2017, 2:59 pm

Buck, your wife asks the same questions as mine.  Funny.....I have the same answers too!  Very Happy

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Knife Handles   November 28th 2017, 3:50 pm

@Smokin' Joe wrote:
Buck, your wife asks the same questions as mine.  Funny.....I have the same answers too!  Very Happy
As time passes Joe it just gets worst ....  :scucks  That's when its time to take an afternoon nap ...  Sleep

Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Knife Handles   November 28th 2017, 8:31 pm

@FrontierGander wrote:
Do I have to add a knife section to the forum?
 Why not kid, let's move the knife related subjects under one banner. You'll have the time now that hunting and guided trips are over for this year, the jeeps have been repaired and you have all your Turkey day and Santa stuff done.

When I get settled here shortly I may start making a few items again and open a store on here like Stoney!!!  affraid     :Hide

Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Knife Handles   November 28th 2017, 8:35 pm

Mentioning Turkey day and Santa stuff made me think of "Old Dingle Balls" anyone hear from Pete ??? He always put a smile on my face, kind of miss him giving me crap like days of old ....  tongue    Rolling Eyes    Very Happy

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Knife Handles   

Back to top Go down

Knife Handles
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Off Topic-Free for All :: Off Topic-Free for All-
Jump to: