Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Cleaning questions regarding BP, Pyrodex, etc.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
keljayem

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2017-10-26

PostSubject: Cleaning questions regarding BP, Pyrodex, etc.   December 3rd 2017, 6:16 pm

What is everyone's opinion on the time you have between shooting and cleaning a BP firearm? I know that I need to clean my rifle the same day, but what if I was to do an early morning hunt, but not get out of the woods until evening? Am I hurting my firearm? Will corrosion already be starting?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hylander

Male Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2017-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning questions regarding BP, Pyrodex, etc.   December 3rd 2017, 10:14 pm

I have used several different BP brands in the past.
I would clean the same day, if I waited until the next day surface rust had started.
My friend left my old T/C Hawken dirty for several months and the bore looked like someone took a jack hammer to it, however after using some Navel Jelly to rid the rust (still had bad pitting) it still shot well, but picked up a GM replacement anyway.

I now shoot only Tripple Seven, I know "Blasphemy" but it works the best for me and is easier to find.
I have left my revolvers dirty for a month at a time after firing several cylinders of 777 FFF.
Not a spec of rust.
Have left my rifles dirty after Tripple Seven FF and FFF for several days, again not a spec or rust.
Also I only use plain water and sometimes a spot of dish soap for clean up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
BrownBear

Number of posts : 292
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning questions regarding BP, Pyrodex, etc.   December 4th 2017, 5:33 am

Pyrodex is pretty nasty for rust if you let it sit even overnight. I moderate it a bit by using grease-type lubes, but it's still not an excuse to put off cleaning. If using Pyrodex, I always swab with a few wet patches at the end of a hunt or range visit, follow it with oil, then clean promptly when I get home.  Black powder and Triple Seven are more forgiving, but I don't use that as an excuse. I still swab wet, followed with oil, then clean immediately when I get home.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clyde

Number of posts : 367
Registration date : 2011-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning questions regarding BP, Pyrodex, etc.   December 9th 2017, 10:01 am

I'm not a chemist but Pyrodex has by far the most percolates which when fired become salts which absorb water causing the rust. So you have that then where you live and how much humidity is in the air.  I've always cleaned after a day in the field with BP or a substitute even BH209 gets an oil patch if I'm not hunting the next day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hunting savage

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2014-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning questions regarding BP, Pyrodex, etc.   December 13th 2017, 9:42 am

ALL GUNS AFTER SHOOTING NEEDS CLEANING  ALL NOT JUST MUZZLELOADERS, IT JUST DON'T TAKE THAT LONG
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning questions regarding BP, Pyrodex, etc.   

Back to top Go down

Cleaning questions regarding BP, Pyrodex, etc.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: