how to reduce the recoil of a rifle

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
strong eagle

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2016-10-11

PostSubject: how to reduce the recoil of a rifle   December 5th 2017, 3:44 pm

Very Happy
nobody wants a muzzle loader that recoil makes you not want to shoot it. if yours is that way do this. go to miday on the internet and order a dead mule. dead mules cant kick. cost about 70 plus dollars. install it under the front forestock, in the the back stock under the butt plate or recoil pad or under the barrel infront of the forestock. make sure the arrow is pointing foreward. they do work and work very well. some guns ive built needed them and some didnt, cant tell you why.they are called a dead mule for a reason.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
redear

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2016-12-12

PostSubject: Re: how to reduce the recoil of a rifle   December 5th 2017, 10:06 pm

My cva wolf kicked me bad, I ended up putting a Nikon  inline scope on it with the 5 inch eye relief and when I went out to shoot the gun I noticed a big difference in recoil. I am at a loss as to why this is so but I don't really care why I am just happy as heck. possibly holding the gun to my shoulder differently now that I don't have to crawl the stock to get a proper eye relief. I could easily shoot 100 grains of blackhorn now, not before though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
strong eagle

PostSubject: Re: how to reduce the recoil of a rifle   December 6th 2017, 6:31 am

the weight did it. every little bit helps. another tip for a cheap recoil reducer. a piece of pipe about 6 inches long with a cap on each end. fill it about half full of very small lead shot gun b b/s. tape it to the bottom of your barrel. greatly reduces recoil. the first dr. i ever worked for loved to hunt geese with a 10 guage ,he had one of these taped to the bottom of the 10 gauge barrel of his shot gun. i had at that time a light weight ithica and it helped tame that gun. it will do the same for a bad recoil muzle loader.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5410
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: how to reduce the recoil of a rifle   December 6th 2017, 6:40 am

@strong eagle wrote:
 i had at that time a light weight ithica and it helped tame that gun. it will do the same for a bad recoil muzle loader.

Those Ithaca Featherlight pumps will knock the snot out of you. I have a Model 37 12ga. Featherlight and I only use it for dove hunting with 7/8 oz. loads.

I shot a turkey with it using magnum # 4 shot. It killed the turkey. My shoulder thought the turkey got off lucky.  Laughing

Is the "dead mule" a mercury-filled tube or something else?

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
strong eagle

PostSubject: Re: how to reduce the recoil of a rifle   December 6th 2017, 7:23 am

i shouldnt tell of my stupidy but i know what your talking about, i broke a nose on mine with a magnum load, bled for 2 days. i have a bump in the middle of my nose from that gun. we live and learn.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark1945

Male Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2015-08-20

PostSubject: Re: how to reduce the recoil of a rifle   December 7th 2017, 11:18 am

I have a 15 oz Dead Mule recoil reducer in the butt stock of my 416 Ruger #1 It makes a big difference Need to put one in my 9.3x74R Ruger #1 those are the only 2 guns I own that really have a wicked kick. All of my Sharps are nothing compared to them.

Cabelas 58 cal Hawken             Colt Navy 36 cal                     Pietta 1863 Remington pocket rev 31 cal
Pedersoli Kodiak 58 cal             CVA 58 Cal. Mountain Rifle      Classic Arms Co 44 Cal New Orleans Ace
CVA 45 Cal Derringer               TC Renegade 54cal                 Navy Arms Co. Pietta 12 gauge double
Pedersoli 12 gauge double        Traditions Crockett 32 cal        2 Traditions Mountain Rifles 50 cal
Pietta 1851 Conf Navy 44
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1720
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: how to reduce the recoil of a rifle   December 7th 2017, 5:48 pm

Recoil Reduction Systems have been around since the late 1950's, used about anything that goes bang in a rifle, shotgun and muzzleloaders.

One of the newer ones to show up is the "BreaKO System" great for the slim forarms of some rifles or shotguns.

The BreaKO recoil reduction system is designed to reduce recoil acceleration, muzzle bounce, and minimize gun movement during firing. The quality of this unit is evident in the design and workmanship. Mercury is used in the unit because of its natural ability to absorb and dampen shock. Results are less fatigue, better concentration, higher scores, and comfort-able shooting. All steel construction, "mercury" filled, permanently sealed and ready for installation. A 7/8" hole or larger is required for stock mounting. 

Technical Information: 

The R8 Recoil Reduction System was developed for thin rifle stocks without a large enough area in the stock to drill a hole to accept the standard recoil reduction units. This system can be installed in the butt stock, or under the barrel on a bolt action rifle. The size of the R8 allows a smaller 9/16" or 5/8" hole to be drilled in a thin rifle stock, or a pocket milled out to fit in the barrel channel. Mounting under the barrel is recommended only for bench rest shooting and hunting guns. The R8 Recoil Reduction System also works well as a stock mounted unit for shotguns with thin stocks. 

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: how to reduce the recoil of a rifle   

Back to top Go down

how to reduce the recoil of a rifle
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: