Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

how to reduce the recoil of a rifle

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3389
Registration date : 2015-10-20

how to reduce the recoil of a rifle - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: how to reduce the recoil of a rifle   how to reduce the recoil of a rifle - Page 2 EmptyMarch 17th 2018, 4:20 pm

.That's happens a high percentage of the time. Don't spread the word or you'll have all your friends at your door step on opening morning with their new muzzleloaders ........

Back to top Go down
Deerstalker

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2018-05-28

PostSubject: Re: how to reduce the recoil of a rifle   how to reduce the recoil of a rifle - Page 2 EmptyMay 29th 2018, 6:07 pm

I shot a 10 point from a tree stand with a M70 30-06 and I had to twist back around to my left.  I did not want to move too much as I was concerned with spooking the buck and this is the result of NOT having the rifle butt firmly into my shoulder.

how to reduce the recoil of a rifle - Page 2 R8B2w1Al
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

PostSubject: Re: how to reduce the recoil of a rifle   how to reduce the recoil of a rifle - Page 2 EmptyMay 30th 2018, 7:07 am

A ring around your eye was common in the 50's. Getting use to scopes and making the correct adjustment for distance between your face and the eye piece was always a real test once hit from recoil.  Suspect   pirat

Back to top Go down
Erkie

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2015-01-11

PostSubject: Re: how to reduce the recoil of a rifle   how to reduce the recoil of a rifle - Page 2 EmptyJanuary 21st 2019, 8:45 pm

I have limbsavers on all my long guns.  Bought a Mossberg 835/hollow nylon stock...kicked like a mule, even with a limbsavers, so I filled the buttstock with 12 oz of lead sinkers & 4-ish ounces of resin. That cured it.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16274
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: how to reduce the recoil of a rifle   how to reduce the recoil of a rifle - Page 2 EmptyJanuary 21st 2019, 11:06 pm

Ouch!!
Back to top Go down
Idaholewis

Idaholewis

Number of posts : 393
Registration date : 2019-01-11

PostSubject: Re: how to reduce the recoil of a rifle   how to reduce the recoil of a rifle - Page 2 EmptyJanuary 21st 2019, 11:25 pm

@Buck Conner wrote:
A ring around your eye was common in the 50's. Getting use to scopes and making the correct adjustment for distance between your face and the eye piece was always a real test once hit from recoil.  Suspect   pirat

I’ve heard my Dad say the same Buck! I had a .375 Remington Ultra Magnum for a few years, i handloaded for it, 260 Grain Nosler Accubond bullets running right at 3,000 FPS, That thing Kicked Worse than a Mule! It left a Permanent Eye Brow Tattoo on at least 2 people here in Idaho, I finally Sold that darn thing, and i have ZERO regrets about it, Just no need for something like that. It was about Spot on equivalent to The .378 Weatherby.

This has always made me laugh, I walked in a Pawn shop Many years ago in Everett/Lynwood Wa, i was looking at a Ruger No. 1 in .458 Win Mag, I was always Fascinated with the Big Bores, more so in my Late Teens, And Through my 20s. Anyway, The Old Fella Running the Pawn Shop noticed i was Looking at everything BIG, He asked me if i would like to see a REALLY Big HARD kicking Rifle? Of Course i did! Very Happy He Walked in the back and Came out with a Hard Gun Case, When he opened it I immediately noticed it was a Very High Grade Weatherby, REALLY Fancy Wood, and Stock Forend Cap. It turned out to be a .378 Weatherby Magnum. I shouldered it and was Looking down it, I say’s to the Ole Boy “She Kicks pretty hard huh?” He looked at me over the top of his glasses and said “Son, when you shoot that Rifle you had better be parked Close By, if not, you will forget where you Parked your Car” I Just about Died Laughing!! But he was Dead Serious! Which made it that much funnier to me! :ROFL
Back to top Go down
smokepoletx

Male Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2019-02-03

PostSubject: Re: how to reduce the recoil of a rifle   how to reduce the recoil of a rifle - Page 2 EmptyFebruary 3rd 2019, 5:14 am

@Smokin' Joe wrote:
Muzzle-Loader mentioned LimbSaver recoil pads.  LimbSaver pads significantly reduce felt recoil.  IMHO... "nobody" does it better as far as butt pads.

I agree.  I have one on my T/C Omega .50 cal.
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

PostSubject: Re: how to reduce the recoil of a rifle   how to reduce the recoil of a rifle - Page 2 EmptyFebruary 3rd 2019, 10:48 am

You want a kicking machine for black powder shooting, try a big bore black powder cartridge rifle. I had a .50-140 Sharps that was introduced in 1884 as a big game hunting round, mind was an experimental Sharps Borchardt Model 1878 rifle. This cartridge is very similar to the .500 Black Powder Express like used for elephant in Africa. When it was touched off the boys with their big bore modern rifles would leave the shooting line.
how to reduce the recoil of a rifle - Page 2 300px-50-140_sharps

Use to go to the "Quigley Buffalo Rifle Match" in Silver City N.M.  The last time we went there they had thirteen International shooters Australia (4), Canada (3), Germany (3), Great Britain (1), Czech Republic (1) and Slovakia (1). Paul Lawrence from Raymore, SK, Canada was the International Champion three years in a row at the time.

how to reduce the recoil of a rifle - Page 2 2512134_orig

Here's some serious shooters from 10 years of age to the mid to high 70's.  You have to be serious to spend $1000's of dollars just for travel and lodging. Then add on the cost of a custom single shot rifle, the iron sights alone can set you back close to $1,000.

The guys I went with had a great time just listening to folks from other lands and then was the smell of rotten eggs (black powder duplex loads) and the smoke that just hung in the air.

Back to top Go down

how to reduce the recoil of a rifle
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: