Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

MUZZLELOADING FORUM

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Ads

Share | 

Patched pistol bullets for muzzleloader?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Long Shot

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2016-03-11

PostSubject: Patched pistol bullets for muzzleloader?   12/7/2017, 11:56 am

Anyone ever try to use patched pistol bullets? In Oregon we can't use sabots but we can use patched bullets being lead only or certain nontoxic projectiles. I have a lot of lead .45 cal pistol bullets and using patches from old jeans they fit nicely in my full stock .54 CVA Hawkin, with a 1:38 twist barrel. Thanks Long Shot
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 15696
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Patched pistol bullets for muzzleloader?   12/7/2017, 12:07 pm

I do not see the patch being able to grip the bullet and stabilize it. With a 54 Hawken, I don't really see the need for the pistol bullets. That round ball should do the job quite well. You sure thats a hawken? Normally the 1:38 twist and faster, is the CVA Mountain Stalker.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com Online
Long Shot

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2016-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Patched pistol bullets for muzzleloader?   12/7/2017, 12:25 pm

I HAVE 2 .54CAL CVA Bobcat 1:38 twist and fit them to my Hawken stock. Also have a .50cal short stock hawken with a 1:48 twist barrel. I use the PA Conical in the .50 and they shoot better than anything else I used. 3 whitetails have fallen to this bullet. That's what made me think about patching a pistol bullet for the .54. Round balls don't stabilize in the 1:38 twist. Have been shooting 360gr real bullets and 430gr conicals. Just thinking and maybe to hard at this. Long Shot
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 2950
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Patched pistol bullets for muzzleloader?   12/11/2017, 7:02 am

@FrontierGander wrote:
I do not see the patch being able to grip the bullet and stabilize it. With a 54 Hawken, I don't really see the need for the pistol bullets. That round ball should do the job quite well. You sure thats a hawken? Normally the 1:38 twist and faster, is the CVA Mountain Stalker.

I agree with you Jon and with the correct loading supplies available everywhere for these guns why bother?

Number of posts : 752
Registration date : 2016-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Patched pistol bullets for muzzleloader?   3/2/2018, 3:13 pm

they did it in the old days with a bullet that was short, it shot very well. i forget the name of that bullet. it had a short bearing surface. they were hard to get lined up straight in the bore but they were close to what a bullet from a percussion handgun uses. you might make some tight weave cross patches and slowly tap them into the bore. might work good. i paperpatched soft lead 250 grain ,451 pistol bullets with a 60 thousands wad behind them in a thompson 45 cal 1/48 twist barrel, used 100 grains of black powder behind that bullet. got very very small groups at 100 yards with it. sold that barrel to sam koger a member here. rebarreled the gun to a 50 cal. try paperpatching the bullets with a wad behind them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner

PostSubject: Re: Patched pistol bullets for muzzleloader?   3/3/2018, 9:05 am

Why bother like Jon has stated.  Question

Male Number of posts : 10158
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Patched pistol bullets for muzzleloader?   3/3/2018, 9:09 am

Here's the Oregon muzzleloader laws. What I get from this is you can use a patched ball, or a full bore lead conical. Not a patched bullet.

Muzzleloader

• Scopes (permanent and detachable), and sights that use batteries, artificial light or energy are not allowed during muzzleloader-only seasons and 600 series hunts where there is a weapon restriction of shotgun/muzzleloader only or archery/muzzleloader only, except for visually impaired hunters who have a visual acuity of ≤ 20/200 with lenses or visual field of ≤ 20 degrees (a permit is required; please see page 86). Open and peep sights made from alloys, plastic, or other materials that do not have the properties described above are legal sights. Fiber optics and fluorescent paint incorporated into or on open or iron sights are legal. 

• It is illegal to hunt with on-lead bullets, jacketed bullets, sabots, and bullets with plastic or synthetic bases during muzzleloader-only seasons and 600 series hunts where there is a weapon restriction of shotgun/muzzleloader only or archery/muzzleloader only. Conical lead or lead alloy bullets with a length that does not exceed twice the diameter and lead or lead alloy round balls used with cloth, paper, or felt patches are allowed. 

• It is illegal to hunt with centerfire primers as an ignition source during muzzleloader-only seasons and 600 series hunts where there is a weapon restriction of shotgun/muzzleloader only or archery/muzzleloader only.

• It is illegal to hunt with pelletized powders or propellants during muzzleloader-only seasons and 600 series hunts where there is a weapon restriction of shotgun/muzzleloader only or archery/muzzleloader only. Granular (loose) black powder and black powder substitutes are the only legal propellants during muzzleloader-only seasons and 600 series hunts where there is a weapon restriction of shotgun/muzzleloader only or archery/muzzleloader only.

• No other firearm may be used for hunting during a muzzleloader-only season (See definition page 10 or regulations book).

• Muzzleloading firearms with revolving actions are prohibited during muzzleloader-only seasons and 600 series hunts where there is a weapon restriction of shotgun/muzzleloader only or archery/muzzleloader only.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
olehunter

Male Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2015-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Patched pistol bullets for muzzleloader?   3/3/2018, 10:16 pm

So you plan on elk hunting the 600 series hunt . I use a inline and all but 1 guy in our group does ,The one guy that don't lost his inline to a gal that spent a few nights . After she left a few days later he noticed the Traditions Ultra lite was gone,, Told him need needed to start frisking them down He said he did ... but didn't feel no Ultra lite.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner

PostSubject: Re: Patched pistol bullets for muzzleloader?   3/4/2018, 8:36 am

@olehunter wrote:
So you plan on elk hunting the 600 series hunt . I use a inline and all but 1 guy in our group does ,The one guy that don't lost his inline to a gal that spent a few nights . After she left a few days later he noticed the Traditions Ultra lite was gone,, Told him need needed to start frisking them down He said he did ... but didn't feel no Ultra lite.....

Other items got in the way of the "frisking" ....   drunken

PostSubject: Re: Patched pistol bullets for muzzleloader?   

Back to top Go down

Patched pistol bullets for muzzleloader?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Projectiles :: Custom Casting-
Jump to: