Visit Florida, Home of 14' Alligators and 17' Pythons

Go down 
AuthorMessage
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5589
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Visit Florida, Home of 14' Alligators and 17' Pythons   December 7th 2017, 4:32 pm

This was killed 2 days ago in So. Florida. It weighed 133 lbs.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1807
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Visit Florida, Home of 14' Alligators and 17' Pythons   December 7th 2017, 6:36 pm

Every few years theres one of these snakes killed in Florida, probably a pet that someone let loose.

A Burmese python (Python molurus bivittatus). Pythons are nonvenomous snakes found in Asia, Africa and Australia. Because they are not native to North or South America, they are considered Old World snakes. Native to the jungles and grassy marshes of Southeast Asia, Burmese pythons are among the largest snakes on Earth. They are capable of reaching 23 feet or more in length and weighing up to 200 pounds with a girth as big as a telephone pole. When young, they will spend much of their time in the trees.

In Cambodia a dipshit Air Force Capt. had a python, one evening some of his guys came to the Sea Bees compound and swiped our pet chicken to feed their snake "Ramrod". About half a dozen swabbies with machetes when to the AF barracks, found our chicken was OK and managed to make Ramrod into short starters. Talk about the crap hitting the fan.

patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Visit Florida, Home of 14' Alligators and 17' Pythons   December 7th 2017, 6:59 pm

@Buck Conner wrote:
Every few years theres one of these snakes killed in Florida, probably a pet that someone let loose.

No Buck, these are reproducing in south Florida. They are not all former "pets." 

They probably got their start when Hurricane Andrew hit  so. Fla. and the Miami area in 1992. It hit a zoo and many of the reproducing exotic species in so. Fla. are results of that event. They have wiped out almost the entire raccoon, rabbit and otter populations there plus put a big dent in deer populations.

Granted some of the pythons are pets that ignorant people turned loose but they would not make up much of the present day python population. It's estimated that the population of Burmese pythons in south Florida is in the tens of thousands.

http://www.reptileknowledge.com/articles/article22.php

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1576
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Visit Florida, Home of 14' Alligators and 17' Pythons   December 7th 2017, 7:27 pm

My wife saw a report today about a team of veterans dedicated to capturing and killing this exploding, invasive population. She said one vet said combating these snakes gave him a sense of communal service and purpose he had felt he had lost after leaving the military. 

I also saw a report on tribal snake hunters visiting Florida last January and training folks. They were Irula Tribe from India. They caught a 17' female and 13 others in the two weeks they were here. The article was interesting so the link is below.

"singing snake catchers from India: solving the riddle for finding Burmese pythons in Florida's Everglades." - Maimi Herald 1/23/17

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/environment/article128233064.html

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/environment/article128233064.html#storylink=cpy

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Visit Florida, Home of 14' Alligators and 17' Pythons   December 11th 2017, 7:11 am

Interesting KC. I hate snakes, the good ones, bad ones and everything in between. The kids use to like to go into the snake house at the zoo, I stood outside and watched the big cats next door .....  Mad   pale

John Neslen

Number of posts : 491
Registration date : 2015-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Visit Florida, Home of 14' Alligators and 17' Pythons   December 11th 2017, 9:23 am

Bob,

I would add to your header "unbearable heat and humidity", it is a killer to us northern mountain people.  Laughing

Is there a season on Python?

John
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Visit Florida, Home of 14' Alligators and 17' Pythons   December 11th 2017, 9:43 am

@John Neslen wrote:
Bob,
Is there a season on Python?

John

Yes, all day, every day, 365 days of the year, same as hogs, monitor lizards, iguanas, and tegus. There also is no closed season on rabbits, coyotes, beavers, raccoons, possums and skunks.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The heat and humidity is gone now. Yesterday and today the temps were in the high 20s or low 30s. It froze last night. First freeze we've had in almost 3 years.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Visit Florida, Home of 14' Alligators and 17' Pythons   December 11th 2017, 10:11 am

@John Neslen wrote:
I would add to your header "unbearable heat and humidity", it is a killer to us northern mountain people.  Laughing
Boy isn't that the truth, we did the Disney Cruise down Bob's way in Sept. one year and damn near died. Being from Colorado we show up wearing Levis, long sleeve shirts and boots, everyone else on the ship had on shorts, sandals and tank tops. I told the wife I was going to buy what they had on at the gift shop. Only "T" shirt I liked was with Goofy with his hand held high (a magic marker added a finger), found some shorts and loafers. The Capt. of the ship told me "You damn near caused an accident, the glare off your pure white legs shown in my face when docking". I told him to look closer at Goofy (his hand raised sir), that made everyone smile.

Yes we saw snakes on one of the tours on the islands, I won't be back......

John Neslen

PostSubject: Re: Visit Florida, Home of 14' Alligators and 17' Pythons   December 11th 2017, 3:25 pm

I spent a few days in the Everglades back in the summer of '61 and saw enough snakes to last me a lifetime, no pythons, all cottonmouth.

John
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Visit Florida, Home of 14' Alligators and 17' Pythons   December 11th 2017, 3:42 pm

Cottonmouths are the only snakes I kill on sight (or smell). They actually try to attack you. You don't have to aggravate them, they are in a constant state of aggravation. I used to carry a machete in a scabbard on my 4-wheeler's fender. Whenever I smelled or saw a cottonmouth I was off and after them with the machete. I probably killed 40-50 over a 3 year period.

Buck, please tell everyone you know how bad Florida is. If enough of the Yankees hear its bad points, maybe they will not move here and I will still have some places to hunt.

Bad publicity is the best thing that could happen for the wildlife of my state.  Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Visit Florida, Home of 14' Alligators and 17' Pythons   December 11th 2017, 6:49 pm

I wish they would all move next door to you Bob, that would just make the hunting in CO and UT that much better....  cheers

BigAl52
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 490
Registration date : 2016-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Visit Florida, Home of 14' Alligators and 17' Pythons   December 11th 2017, 7:00 pm

So should we expect Troy and the swamp people to be chootn um soon.

TC Hawken 58 cal Green Mtn drop in barrel
TC Renegade 58 cal
GRRW 50 cal
GRRW 58 cal
Lyman GPR 54 cal flintlock L&R lock davis deerslayer trigger
Lyman Trade Rifle 54 cal
CVA Hawken 58 cal by Jonathan
Hawken Squirrel Rifle 40 cal by John Bergman
Pedersoli Penn Rifle 50 cal flintlock
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Visit Florida, Home of 14' Alligators and 17' Pythons   December 12th 2017, 6:31 am

@BigAl52 wrote:
So should we expect Troy and the swamp people to be chootn um soon.

He lives in La. (That's La for Louisiana not Los Angeles.)  Wink

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

If you like to fish, south Fla. is one of the best places in the country. Big largemouth bass and tons of salt-water fishing. The Ten Thousand Islands south of Naples on the west coast is about the best inshore fishing there is ... snook, jewfish, mangrove snapper, redfish, tarpon and trout are all over the place.

If you like to hunt, don't move there. There is nothing to hunt except teal and ringnecks in the winter and pythons in the summer.  :tdown2

Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Visit Florida, Home of 14' Alligators and 17' Pythons   December 12th 2017, 6:36 am

@Buck Conner wrote:
I wish they would all move next door to you Bob, that would just make the hunting in CO and UT that much better....  cheers

Buck, they already do. They took my best local duck-hunting lake and turned it into a golf course. The roads are clogged with electric Prius's and golf carts. Everybody drives like they forgot their glasses at home.
IT SUCKS!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Visit Florida, Home of 14' Alligators and 17' Pythons   December 12th 2017, 8:55 am

@patocazador wrote:

Everybody drives like they forgot their glasses at home.
IT SUCKS!

Oh, sorry, Bob. That's me. I was probably texting. jocolor

Cottonmouths do have an attitude. I am seriously not fond of them. I've had to show quite a few the door to the afterlife. 
But, they started it!

NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Visit Florida, Home of 14' Alligators and 17' Pythons   December 12th 2017, 1:26 pm

@Kentucky Colonel wrote:
@patocazador wrote:

Everybody drives like they forgot their glasses at home.
IT SUCKS!

Oh, sorry, Bob. That's me. I was probably texting. jocolor

Thank God, texting while driving will be illegal in Fla. soon.  I heard on TV that the legislature passed the law but I didn't hear when it was supposed to take effect. It will save a lot of accidents and lives.

Oh Colonel, BTW quit taking up 2 lanes when you're in front of me.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Smoke

Male Number of posts : 280
Registration date : 2016-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Visit Florida, Home of 14' Alligators and 17' Pythons   December 12th 2017, 5:17 pm

Last year I suggested that a FL python hunt would be a great corporate team building activity for our group.  Lots of beer, burgers, and such.  And, if somebody got thems eaten there would be promotional opportunites.  Win Win!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Visit Florida, Home of 14' Alligators and 17' Pythons   December 13th 2017, 6:08 am

@patocazador wrote:
Thank God, texting while driving will be illegal in Fla. soon.  I heard on TV that the legislature passed the law but I didn't hear when it was supposed to take effect. It will save a lot of accidents and lives.

Oh Colonel, BTW quit taking up 2 lanes when you're in front of me.
We passed the same law and now seem to have more accidents than ever before, "we do have rights you know....". The young lady answered the police when being questioned after crashing into a couple of cars at a light. Everything time she was asked a question it was the same answer. We hear them (young drivers) with the same remarks and they'll protest if pushed about being wrong. Texting is a way of life for them, seems some can't talk but they can text.

KC has rights too Bob, he's like a little old lady told me after running me off the road "I pay my taxes get the hell out of my way".... I know seniors have rights too .....  afro

Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Visit Florida, Home of 14' Alligators and 17' Pythons   December 13th 2017, 9:53 am

You know, I let you guys drive on my roads. The least you could do is be respectful of my right to hog all the lanes and stop complaining about it. 
LaughingLaughingLaughing

Oh, and get off my lawn!
Twisted Evil

NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Visit Florida, Home of 14' Alligators and 17' Pythons   December 13th 2017, 10:09 am

@Kentucky Colonel wrote:
Oh, and get off my lawn!
Twisted Evil

Give me your address and I'll do wheelies on your lawn.  Tease

Back to top Go down
View user profile
John Neslen

PostSubject: Re: Visit Florida, Home of 14' Alligators and 17' Pythons   December 13th 2017, 3:19 pm

Bob, forget the wheelies, how about a few figure 8's?  Laughing

I was watching some Stompin' Tom music videos when I saw how to make a big snake trap out of PVC, string, a sew sticks and leaves. Check it out.

John
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonC
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 961
Registration date : 2013-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Visit Florida, Home of 14' Alligators and 17' Pythons   December 13th 2017, 6:02 pm

Those cottonmouths are all over the SouthEast!
I took a trip to see a friend near Caddo, OK. When I arrived at his house, he was out at the pond with his son. They drained the pond and were in the process of sending 200 cottonmouths to the great swamp in the sky!
Ain't they cute?

Ron

BigAl52
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 490
Registration date : 2016-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Visit Florida, Home of 14' Alligators and 17' Pythons   December 13th 2017, 7:48 pm

Theres enough room on the head of that Ron for a 58 cal.

TC Hawken 58 cal Green Mtn drop in barrel
TC Renegade 58 cal
GRRW 50 cal
GRRW 58 cal
Lyman GPR 54 cal flintlock L&R lock davis deerslayer trigger
Lyman Trade Rifle 54 cal
CVA Hawken 58 cal by Jonathan
Hawken Squirrel Rifle 40 cal by John Bergman
Pedersoli Penn Rifle 50 cal flintlock
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Visit Florida, Home of 14' Alligators and 17' Pythons   December 14th 2017, 12:22 pm

Cottonmouths can't strike above the knee on an adult unlike rattlesnakes. That's the reason I always used a machete on them.

I have a friend who had a cottonmouth strike him in his Rocky snake boot. The fangs hung up in the fabric. He did a good imitation of a Russian Cossack dance try to shake him off.  Laughing

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Visit Florida, Home of 14' Alligators and 17' Pythons   

Back to top Go down

Visit Florida, Home of 14' Alligators and 17' Pythons
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Off Topic-Free for All :: Off Topic-Free for All-
Jump to: