Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

MUZZLELOADING FORUM

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Ads

Share | 

old percussion caps

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15464
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: old percussion caps   December 11th 2017, 12:13 pm

OK a friend of mine, bought me a bunch of muzzleloader supplies for Christmas from a guy she works with.. 3lbs of GO black powder!  600 percussion caps and a bunch of other stuff! Who made the Dixie gun works caps? They are in red plastic containers and say made in italy. 

Completely blown away with all the stuff she got for me! Lots of 440 and 490 balls. What ever balls I can not use, I'll show her how to melt them down and cast fresh balls with.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
John Neslen

Number of posts : 507
Registration date : 2015-02-28

PostSubject: Re: old percussion caps   December 11th 2017, 3:36 pm

I have almost 2,000 caps in red plastic containers but they do not say Dixie but could be from same manufacture. I will see what they say. Years ago I bought a case of 10,000 of them and always had good luck with them. The only bad part was I believe they were corrosive. Before loading a rifle for hunting I like non-corrosive caps.

John
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador

Number of posts : 5863
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: old percussion caps   December 11th 2017, 3:45 pm

I have a plastic container of RWS caps and it is red. I don't know if they are made in Italy. I thought they were made in Austria or Germany.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
John Neslen

Number of posts : 507
Registration date : 2015-02-28

PostSubject: Re: old percussion caps   December 11th 2017, 5:00 pm

I brought up a red container and had to use a magnifying glass to read the small print. Mine are Replica Arms, made in Italy. The one I looked at was #9 for pistol.

I think RWS is made in Germany, but I could be wrong.........old brain.

John
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15464
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: old percussion caps   December 13th 2017, 10:46 pm

I got out today and tried those italian caps. Zero issues whatsoever! I actually ended up with 700 of them as she handed me another one she had left at her house. I will be set for a long while!
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
BrownBear

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: old percussion caps   December 14th 2017, 3:31 am

The only time I've had trouble with older caps has been tins/containers opened long ago in our wet climate. Packages that have never been opened are not an issue here at all, so I'd expect the same there in the Rockies.

Oh, one other issue with older caps. Older Remingtons have a tendency to shed their guts, leaving behind and empty cup with little pills of priming compound floating around in the bottom of the tin. Not an issue if you sort them and keep an eye on them in case another pill falls out while you are loading.  I recently picked up 35 tins of the things from a local store for $1 each.  I won't rely on them for hunting, but it's sure nice to have cheap caps once again for casual shooting.  I'm happy to put in a little sorting "labor" for that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: old percussion caps   

Back to top Go down

old percussion caps
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Shooting Accessories & Hunter Misc.-
Jump to: