Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Shot my first underhammer!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16164
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Shot my first underhammer! Empty
PostSubject: Shot my first underhammer!   Shot my first underhammer! EmptyDecember 12th 2017, 1:12 pm

What a blast! I felt I was cheating with 4x scope, but it was a lot of fun to the point I was actually shaky.
Shot my first underhammer! IMG_9770
.45cal ( custom fit 45-70 barrel ) Underhammer
30.5"L1 1/8"W barrel
1:22 twist
.440" round balls with .020" patch ( spit lube patch )

I first took it to 25 to zero in the scope, then backed out to 50 yards after I wiped the bore clean in the house and loaded up an assortment of powder charges.

At 50 yards, I first used 50 grains 3fg Goex and took my first 3 shots ( top right ) then I adjusted the scope down and center, took 3 more shots.
Shot my first underhammer! Img_9912

Next, for the fun of it, I loaded up a hunting charge of 70gr 3fg goex! The recovered patches were still in perfect shape as well. I kept them within 1 1/2" group with that big charge. Not bad at all! I was shaky, so I think that group will improve the next time I get set up on something a little more sturdy to offset my shakes.
Shot my first underhammer! Img_9913

I think I will hold on to her a little longer, play with her, refinish the barrel and stock and then maybe trade or sell her off down the road. A beautiful shooting underhammer indeed! I will however put a higher power scope on it! I have a nice Konus Pro 3-10x44 with super fine cross hairs that I think will do the job nicely.

Back to top Go down
https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
patocazador

patocazador

Number of posts : 5853
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Shot my first underhammer!   Shot my first underhammer! EmptyDecember 12th 2017, 1:29 pm

I'm surprised that it shoots that well with 70 gr. 
Why don't you try some maxi balls or REALs in it and see how it does?

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16164
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Shot my first underhammer!   Shot my first underhammer! EmptyDecember 12th 2017, 1:50 pm

I actually may try some sabots. I will see what I have and get some .45cal sabots to go. I know I have some 160 and 185gr thor sabots.
Back to top Go down
https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3305
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Shot my first underhammer!   Shot my first underhammer! EmptyDecember 20th 2017, 7:11 pm

@FrontierGander wrote:
I actually may try some sabots. I will see what I have and get some .45cal sabots to go. I know I  have some 160 and 185gr thor sabots.
These guns shouldn't be taken lightly.

Shot my first underhammer! Img2

Back to top Go down
Sharpsman

Sharpsman

Male Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2016-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Shot my first underhammer!   Shot my first underhammer! EmptyDecember 26th 2017, 9:36 am

GROAN!!affraidSad
Back to top Go down
Hilljack

Hilljack

Male Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2014-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Shot my first underhammer!   Shot my first underhammer! EmptyDecember 29th 2017, 4:08 pm

Hey Frontier....Nice piece wish I could figure to post a couple of pictures I could show you one of three Mule ears I have built...They are a hoot also....44In A weight Green Mountain...36  Cal...

Hilljack
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3305
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Shot my first underhammer!   Shot my first underhammer! EmptyJanuary 1st 2018, 7:46 am

I had a .36 caliber Poor Boy that was a killing machine, loaded with 55 grains of Goex 3F it sounded like a 22 Hornet with that loud crack. Really a fun little muzzleloader that the grandson now shoots and won't trade me for another gun...... Mad

Shot my first underhammer! Img2

Back to top Go down
dbowling

Male Number of posts : 303
Registration date : 2014-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Shot my first underhammer!   Shot my first underhammer! EmptyJanuary 18th 2018, 2:32 pm

I had a .36 cal Hopkins/Allen Underhammer that was a squirrel killing machine with 40 gr of Goex 3f, tried to get it back from my friend after I traded it to him for a custom longbow with the agreement that Id have 1st dibs on gun if he got rid of it.. Well when I ask about getting it back he had sold it w/o asking me.
Back to top Go down

Shot my first underhammer!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: The Shooting Range-
Jump to: