Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Ads

Share | 

Lubing some strip patching material

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15276
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Lubing some strip patching material   December 19th 2017, 4:20 pm

Had this idea hit me one day and I decided to give it a go. I took a cookie sheet, lined it with foil and put it on the stove top and warmed it to an uncomfortable touch point. Laid a section of patch material on it to heat up while the lube melted in the microwave. Once the lube was melted and the patch material warmed up, I used the paint brush and wiped on the lube as thin as possible then rolled the patch material into a roll, used a  towel and squeezed out any excess lube and then placed the lubed strips into a plastic bag for safe keeping. I will try them out possibly tomorrow and see how well things turned out.

Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
rebs

Male Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2017-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Lubing some strip patching material   December 20th 2017, 7:26 am

I mix ballistol and water in a small bowl, dip the strips in it til they are soaked and squeegee them out between my fingers and lay on a cookie sheet to dry whick lets the water evaporate. Then roll them up and put in an old prescription bottle with the the air tight screw on lid.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Roaddog

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2016-10-19

PostSubject: Re: Lubing some strip patching material   December 20th 2017, 7:41 am

lol! I like that idea. It looks like you tride it on your tost on the first photo with the butterknife sitn there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Lubing some strip patching material   December 20th 2017, 10:53 am

well, I loaded up my ball block yesterday and rifle. The material was perfect! Not over lubed, I barely had a light coating of lube on my hands after working with it, plus the material felt like velvet when I unrolled it. Super happy! Got a nice stash of cut at the muzzle patches to use up. Now, time to grab my gear and head to the range!
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Lubing some strip patching material   December 21st 2017, 1:02 am

Everything worked out great! Patch lube was applied evenly and they loads with zero problems even after these 7 shots fired off hand at 45 yards with 60gr 3fg Goex. First 3 were actually touching, after that I got a little "sloppy".

2 shots on the lower left are from a .36 Colt Navy, testing a new black powder at 12 yards. :shh :shh

Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 3432
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Lubing some strip patching material   December 21st 2017, 8:29 am

Looks like your method produces consistent patches FG.  You said you squeezed-out the extra lube after applying.  Would a cookie roller work also to remove the extra lube Question
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Lubing some strip patching material   December 21st 2017, 10:11 am

Sure as long as you have a cloth to soak up the excess lube. Damn good idea Marty!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lubing some strip patching material   

Back to top Go down

Lubing some strip patching material
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Shooting Accessories & Hunter Misc.-
Jump to: