Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in
Share | 

I Finally Shot My O/U .50 caliber Rifle

Go down 
AuthorMessage
patocazador

patocazador

Number of posts : 5853
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: I Finally Shot My O/U .50 caliber Rifle   December 19th 2017, 5:57 pm

I bought an O/U .50 cal. rifle a few weeks back and got around to shooting it today.

The first thing I found is the barrels are not regulated. The top barrel shoots high and left compared to the bottom barrel.

The second thing I found is the gun hates 385 gr. Hornady Great Plains bullets. The one from the bottom barrel missed everything @ 25 yds.

Next I shot 2 shots in each barrel with 365 gr. MaxiBalls and 75 gr. of 3F black powder. It really liked this load.
Lastly I shot a 260 gr. PT Gold in a crush rib sabot with 65 gr. of 3F BP.

The gun liked these bullets also. I moved the peep sight to the right so the lower barrel is right on. I think this will be a winner for deer hunting once I get it dialed in at 75 yards with the MaxiBalls.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by patocazador on December 20th 2017, 9:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16035
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: I Finally Shot My O/U .50 caliber Rifle   December 19th 2017, 6:00 pm

wow that has to be a lot of fun to shoot! I think it would be stressful trying to dial in the barrels.

On one hand, the one that shoots the lowest, put dead on at 50-75 yards, the high shooting barrel, 100+ yards. May work out if it groups well at those distances.

Now go clean! You have double the work now lol!
Back to top Go down
https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
patocazador

patocazador

PostSubject: Re: I Finally Shot My O/U .50 caliber Rifle   December 19th 2017, 6:12 pm

Actually, it's about 1.5 times the work compared to cleaning 2 guns.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
mark1945
Forum
Forum
mark1945

Male Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2015-08-20

PostSubject: Re: I Finally Shot My O/U .50 caliber Rifle   December 20th 2017, 2:15 pm

Both my Pedersoli side by sides are not regulated either ,but they both have 2 fold down rear sights which once I got everything figured out has not been so bad. I set the front one for the left barrel and the back for right .I have some more tweeking to do but I have them within 1.5 in at 75 yds. on my 58 and about 2.25 in on my 72. Now just playing with loads to see if I can improve

Cabelas 58 cal Hawken             Colt Navy 36 cal                     Pietta 1863 Remington pocket rev 31 cal
Pedersoli Kodiak 58 cal             CVA 58 Cal. Mountain Rifle      Classic Arms Co 44 Cal New Orleans Ace
CVA 45 Cal Derringer               TC Renegade 54cal                 Navy Arms Co. Pietta 12 gauge double
Pedersoli 12 gauge double        Traditions Crockett 32 cal        2 Traditions Mountain Rifles 50 cal
Pietta 1851 Conf Navy 44
Back to top Go down
patocazador

patocazador

PostSubject: Re: I Finally Shot My O/U .50 caliber Rifle   December 20th 2017, 5:36 pm

@mark1945 wrote:
Both my Pedersoli side by sides are not regulated either ,but they both have 2 fold down rear sights which once I got everything figured out has not been so bad. I set the front one for the left barrel and the back for right .I have some more tweeking to do but I have them within 1.5 in at 75 yds. on my 58 and about 2.25 in on my 72. Now just playing with loads to see if I can improve

It sounds pretty good to me to have them both that close at 75 yards. I'll probably have to use different charges and maybe different bullets to get mine close at 75 yds.

Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3570
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: I Finally Shot My O/U .50 caliber Rifle   December 21st 2017, 6:46 am

Cool smoker"s" pat'.  I would imagine recoil would be lighter with the weight of the O/U.  
How much does your smoker weigh Question
Back to top Go down
patocazador

patocazador

PostSubject: Re: I Finally Shot My O/U .50 caliber Rifle   December 21st 2017, 8:24 am

@Marty wrote:
Cool smoker"s" pat'.  I would imagine recoil would be lighter with the weight of the O/U.  
How much does your smoker weigh Question

9 lbs. 6 oz.

I couldn't feel much, if any, recoil when I was shooting it. My usual hunting gun is a cut-down Hawken with a short barrel that weighs about 7 lbs. or perhaps less.

Back to top Go down
Sharpsman

Sharpsman

Male Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2016-02-13

PostSubject: Re: I Finally Shot My O/U .50 caliber Rifle   December 23rd 2017, 11:00 am

Would be akin to having two wives......DOUBLE TROUBLE!!What a Faceaffraid
Back to top Go down

I Finally Shot My O/U .50 caliber Rifle
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: The Shooting Range-
Jump to: