Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Cold hike yesterday

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16345
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Cold hike yesterday Empty
PostSubject: Cold hike yesterday   Cold hike yesterday Empty2017-12-22, 10:01

wow was it cold! The trees were completely white yesterday and so naturally i got dressed up warm and took my dog out for a hike. Temp was 17* but felt so much colder for some reason. Bubba enjoyed the hike as I did. I just hope we have a White Christmas, or at least some snow on the ground.
Cold hike yesterday Img_0011
Back to top Go down
Vincem
Forum
Forum
Vincem

Male Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2016-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Cold hike yesterday   Cold hike yesterday Empty2017-12-22, 11:06

Yeah, down to 3 degrees last night. 27 now and it feels like a heat wave! About 5" of snow here at 9K' elevation and we sure needed it.

Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3801
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Cold hike yesterday   Cold hike yesterday Empty2017-12-23, 06:33

Cold hike yesterday 20171222_162541_-_Copy
Here's a "look-back" pic I took of yesterday's deer hunt.  I do this every now and then when mother nature wins for the day.  Temp was 19*, slight wind with snow squalls.  In MA we can hunt 1/2 hour after sunset.  I had 20 minutes to get to the trail before darkness.
Back to top Go down
Vincem
Forum
Forum
Vincem

Male Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2016-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Cold hike yesterday   Cold hike yesterday Empty2017-12-23, 11:53

Man that looks cold Marty, are you bowhunting or is it gun season?

Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3801
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Cold hike yesterday   Cold hike yesterday Empty2017-12-23, 15:00

It's still archery and muzzleloader season for me until December 31st.  I'm toting one of my .45's.   And yes Vincem...once that sun went down it was friggin' raw-cold having sleeted earlier.   

I'll get out again Tuesday before the single digits sets in later next week.
Back to top Go down
oneshot 1

oneshot 1

Number of posts : 619
Registration date : 2012-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Cold hike yesterday   Cold hike yesterday Empty2017-12-30, 19:07

I noticed not much snow up in the mountains.

Here in Missouri it has been cold. Muzzleloading Season is going on now but because of health I haven't went.

Them Pinions? Where I live the Mulies and Elk would be in them.

oneshot
Back to top Go down
Smokin' Joe
Forum
Forum
Smokin' Joe

Male Number of posts : 2075
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Cold hike yesterday   Cold hike yesterday Empty2017-12-31, 07:55

I'm sitting at -21 below zero and I just talked to my brother in Northern part of the state and he got -38 below zero. Crying or Very sad

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 10418
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Cold hike yesterday   Cold hike yesterday Empty2017-12-31, 07:59

We were in the 50's yesterday. Crazy weather. With no top or doors on my Jeep i'm not complaining about the temp.

I'm addicted to black powder.
Back to top Go down
Smokin' Joe
Forum
Forum
Smokin' Joe

PostSubject: Re: Cold hike yesterday   Cold hike yesterday Empty2017-12-31, 08:16

Even for our area we are way below normal temps.  The ice will be clear and strong for ice fishing this year.  Not much snow on it.  In northern Minnesota fisherman have been driving on it with pick-ups pulling their fish houses out for a few weeks already.

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Cold hike yesterday   Cold hike yesterday Empty2017-12-31, 08:19

I never could get into ice fishing. A nice warm summer day, a fly rod, and a beautiful freestone creek or small river catching cutthroats is more my style.

Back to top Go down
Smokin' Joe
Forum
Forum
Smokin' Joe

PostSubject: Re: Cold hike yesterday   Cold hike yesterday Empty2017-12-31, 08:27

There is nothing wrong with your kind of fishing!

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Cold hike yesterday   Cold hike yesterday Empty2017-12-31, 13:23

Yep pinions, cedar, blue spruce and ponderosa. We have a large mix of trees in this part.
Back to top Go down
patocazador

patocazador

Number of posts : 5852
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Cold hike yesterday   Cold hike yesterday Empty2017-12-31, 20:17

@FrontierGander wrote:
Yep pinions, cedar, blue spruce and ponderosa. We have a large mix of trees in this part.

All conifers .. don't you have any hardwoods there? Aspens should be somewhere around you I would think.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Cold hike yesterday   Cold hike yesterday Empty2018-01-01, 08:03

Lot's of Aspens in my area. It's the first place I look for elk and bear.

Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Cold hike yesterday   Cold hike yesterday Empty2018-01-01, 09:16

Lots of aspens and scrub oak. The aspens however are higher up in the mountains, I live in the foothills, so a little to low for aspen.
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3490
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Cold hike yesterday   Cold hike yesterday Empty2018-01-02, 07:20

We have mountains on all sides of us in this valley (all within a few miles in any direction) with pretty much the same trees as Pete and Jon as mentioned. Like you Jon we live in the foothills. When in Estes Park CO in the winter it was a sled ride anytime you left the house, real poor road cleaning (always icy), after 20 years of dealing with those conditions I moved south of Denver. Now in Utah they have good road service for most part and less traffic than Colorado for now, but that's changing too.

Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Cold hike yesterday   Cold hike yesterday Empty2018-01-02, 08:21

Buck......You were near Denver. That whole area will always be crowded is anything you're into. Fishing, hiking, hunting or whatever. Lot's of people.

Over in my area we have complete freedom to go anywhere or anytime and have total solitude or close to it. My Jeep will get me to places you wouldn't believe. Not so much because of my Jeep, but that they have 4wd roads going everywhere.

Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Cold hike yesterday   Cold hike yesterday Empty2018-01-02, 11:03

We were all tough when we were young. Well, most of us. How are you doing now?

Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3490
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Cold hike yesterday   Cold hike yesterday Empty2018-01-03, 06:33

Bear Claw wrote:
We were all tough when we were young. Well, most of us. How are you doing now?
With health issues and all the worked needed done I'll be surprised if I live through this mess I've gotten into this time at my age Pete.

Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Cold hike yesterday   Cold hike yesterday Empty2018-01-03, 08:27

We're a hell of a bunch huh guys. Oh well, you can't stop old age, but you sure as hell can fight given into it. Just keep thinking positive. The body will heal itself if we let it.

Strong Eagle are you native American? I ask because of the name you took.

My Lakota friend gave me the name Bear Killer. I was told it's an honor when they give you a name. I feel honored. When I go over to his place there's always a lot of Native Americans and they all call me Bear Killer. I sort of feel obligated to get a bear every year, but it's hard around here. Not as many bears as other areas. Where Jon lives is much better for bear hunting. The success rate is 20 times better than my area. Oh well, it is what it is. I just have to try harder.

Back to top Go down
patocazador

patocazador

Number of posts : 5852
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Cold hike yesterday   Cold hike yesterday Empty2018-01-03, 10:12

@strong eagle wrote:
 i went through west nile 4 and 1/2 years ago. layed in bed for 4 months.

I was down with something in 2001 when the twin towers came down. I was working but was so fatigued that I had to lay down and sleep for 30-40 minutes out of every 90 minutes. I had a cot in the back room and a portable TV. I couldn't stay awake to watch the news of the terrorists.

I went to the doctor when I thought I could drive again. He said it was West Nile. I had birds dropping dead around my house and took a couple of them to the health dept. They said it was West Nile.
I was lucky and it only lasted about 3 weeks. Many died from it.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down

Cold hike yesterday
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: The Hunting Lodge :: Off Topic-Hunting Lodge-
Jump to: