Ads

Share | 

Remington 209 Primier STS Primers for BH209

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Old Smoke

Male Number of posts : 291
Registration date : 2016-01-28

PostSubject: Remington 209 Primier STS Primers for BH209   December 25th 2017, 11:28 am

I have an unopened carton (1000 primers) of Rem 209 PSTSs.  Anybody ever shoot those with BH209?  

I know the BH folks recommend Fed 209A or CCIM primers.  But I have 1000 of these and curious what the experience may be with this group.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador

Number of posts : 5835
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Remington 209 Primier STS Primers for BH209   December 25th 2017, 3:47 pm

I have 5000 old #97 Remington primers that I've been using to ignite BH209. I have had no problems with them. They are thinner than CCI primers and that might allow more leakage unless you adjust it with thicker shims or O-rings.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 3432
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Remington 209 Primier STS Primers for BH209   December 25th 2017, 5:38 pm

I've used these particular Remington Primers with BH209 and have had no ignition problems. 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
strong eagle

Number of posts : 498
Registration date : 2016-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Remington 209 Primier STS Primers for BH209   December 25th 2017, 6:13 pm

if they are the brass ones, they will ignite the powder but if you look at them closely the bulge that contains the powder is at different levels. if you put one of these primers in your gun to hunt with, the firing pin may not reach out far enough to ignite it, dont want that when a big buck is standing in front of you. for target it is fine. cci are all at the same level and no problem. ask me how i know, it happened to me. i have a bunch of them and use them for target only. i check each one for the ones that are set too far into the primer. throw those away. never ever will buy them again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Remington 209 Primier STS Primers for BH209   December 26th 2017, 8:45 am

You never mentioned how these Rem STS's found their way to your home. Were they given to you for free?

Blackhorn209 website preaches hot primers for a reason. You should use what they recommend, for best 'ignition' results in ALL weather conditions.

The only other 209 primer Blackhorn may recommend are the Winchester 209s.... mainly because they are still considered a hot primer, PLUS being longer than any other 209 primer, the Winchesters seal many breechplugs from blowback better and often-times easier to remove the spent primer.

Because the Winchesters offer both ends of the spectrum, they would be a good choice also. I hunt with either the Feds or Winchesters, depending on the gun / breechplug-face design.
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 3432
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Remington 209 Primier STS Primers for BH209   December 26th 2017, 10:20 am

Even though I haven't had any ignition problems using the Remington STS Primers with my smokers, I do recall that they were one of the shortest primers I have used.  I'd have to go back and find my notes, but likely I was using a particular breech plug with the STS's (and Fiocchi 616's).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Smoke

PostSubject: Re: Remington 209 Primier STS Primers for BH209   December 26th 2017, 11:39 am

GoexBlackhorn wrote:
You never mentioned how these Rem STS's found their way to your home. Were they given to you for free?

Blackhorn209 website preaches hot primers for a reason. You should use what they recommend, for best 'ignition' results in ALL weather conditions.

The only other 209 primer Blackhorn may recommend are the Winchester 209s.... mainly because they are still considered a hot primer, PLUS being longer than any other 209 primer, the Winchesters seal many breechplugs from blowback better and often-times easier to remove the spent primer.

Because the Winchesters offer both ends of the spectrum, they would be a good choice also. I hunt with either the Feds or Winchesters, depending on the gun / breechplug-face design.

I suspect these particular primers made it into the house the same as most of my stuff:  I saw 'em, reacted like a dog (i.e. "Squirell!!"), and bought 'em.    Seriously, I used to shoot much more skeet than I do now and they've been on the bench for 10+ years.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Smoke

PostSubject: Re: Remington 209 Primier STS Primers for BH209   December 26th 2017, 11:42 am

Appreciate the feedback.  

I have not seen any CCIM's for sale anywhere of late, but I still have 100 or so left.  I'll either spot some for sale or I guess order a 1000 and pay the hazmat fee.  Maybe I'll need some powder about the same time anyway, so it may be the easiest way to get 'em.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Remington 209 Primier STS Primers for BH209   

Back to top Go down

Remington 209 Primier STS Primers for BH209
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: