Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Ads

Share | 

Pellets in a new CVA Accura?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
polarispete

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-04-09

PostSubject: Pellets in a new CVA Accura?   12/26/2017, 11:44 am

Hello all. quick question. My friend just got a new CVA Accura and its his first muzzleloader. Hes wondering what to shoot out of it.The gun I have that Carlos sold me and his reccomendations were BH209.My friend wants to sghoot Pellets out of this new gun.I have not seen any Posts at all mentioning the use of pellets and what bullets would work good in his gun.He definitely does not want to use loose powder either. Thanks for any info given.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 10002
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Pellets in a new CVA Accura?   12/26/2017, 12:20 pm

Shooting pellets is no problem for that gun. The breech plug is actually made to shoot pellets.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15375
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Pellets in a new CVA Accura?   12/26/2017, 3:22 pm

T7 or Pyrodex pellets will be the top performing pellets to use. He will however have to run a lightly damp patch down the bore after each shot to remove the hard crud towards the breech of the barrel.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com Online

PostSubject: Re: Pellets in a new CVA Accura?   12/26/2017, 9:03 pm

If available nearby Pete, I recommend either Aliant Blue MZ or White Hot pellets. Cleaner burning than either Pyrodex or 777. Has basically the same horsepower too.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Pellets in a new CVA Accura?   12/26/2017, 9:19 pm

Not so. White hots and especially the blue mz pellets are 75-100 FPS slower and cost more money.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pellets in a new CVA Accura?   12/27/2017, 1:29 pm

@FrontierGander wrote:
Not so. White hots and especially the blue mz pellets are 75-100 FPS slower and cost more money.

Where did you get that speed info? Was that 75-100fps difference done matching two pellets.... or three pellet shots?

I'll spend a few more dollars for noticeably less residue - no crud ring and no frozen-shut breechplug.

Last edited by GoexBlackhorn on 12/27/2017, 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Pellets in a new CVA Accura?   12/27/2017, 1:35 pm

Powerbelt shows the ballistics. WH is definitely lower fps than Pyrodex. Not sure about Blue MZ.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Pellets in a new CVA Accura?   12/27/2017, 1:38 pm

Ingredients appear to be exactly the same for Blue MZ and White Hots pellets. Only difference I see is the dye color.

If I can't have any more screen-name changes, then you can't either.....lol Razz
Happy New Year Pete!
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Pellets in a new CVA Accura?   12/27/2017, 4:16 pm

I shot the Whitehots side by side to T7. A lot slower, cost more and you get less in the package too. Blackhorn209 for an inline is the best option to go with IMO.

Goex, Olde Eynsford of even Pyrodex for my sidelocks. I got a good supply of gearhart owen & goex for Christmas, so I am one happy camper!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pellets in a new CVA Accura?   12/27/2017, 4:56 pm

My 2/3rds jug of Blackhorn is being donated tonight or tomorrow. I had issues with ignition in wet conditions, using the hottest Fed primers. Had issues with Blackhorn when using loose fitting bullets.

So far I like the Blue MZ. When testing it at 100+ yards this spring, I'm guessing I may need to add a third pellet.

Tired of the 15 patches cleaning rituals. I used five patches total,  cleaning the Blue MZ. Still experimenting with it and expecting to stick with it. I shoot less than 100 rounds per year anyways. So it's no big deal to my wallet.
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Pellets in a new CVA Accura?   12/27/2017, 6:18 pm

You'll have to change your name now. BlueGoexForever

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Pellets in a new CVA Accura?   12/28/2017, 8:04 am

I'll never lose the real black-stuff Pete! You and I both know it's the best out-there for sidelocks.

Not sure what happened to thread-starter polarisPete! But yes, pellets work just as well as equivalent measures of loose powder.

But old T/C ML owners (for example) with flat-face breechplugs should swap-out those plugs for concave-faced plugs, when using pellets. It helps ensure 100% ignition.
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Pellets in a new CVA Accura?   12/28/2017, 8:07 am

I didn't take Goex out of your new name?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Pellets in a new CVA Accura?   12/28/2017, 9:31 am

pellets work and are accurate, but I personally would use loose powder as it allows you to shoot more accurately and the biggest added benefit, it lights off easier and much more consistently!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pellets in a new CVA Accura?   12/28/2017, 12:59 pm

Bear Claw wrote:
I didn't take Goex out of your new name?
(standard)Goex is part of my world....still. That's until I ever get my hands on some Olde Eynsford. I finally found a dealer about an hour away from here.

Blackhorn?..... No!
The guy is coming for my 2/3rds remaining jug tonight. I can't deal with multiple time hangfires I got with Blackhorn in wet weather. Couldn't deal with loose-fitting 460gr No Excuses peetering-out of the barrel and dropping 25 yards away. Hearing a weak-azz "poof" instead of a gunshot blast sound nailed my Blackhorn coffin for me. 

So it's Adios Time, like it was with Pioneer, Pyrodex and 777 in past years. They all had various issues and my backyard lawn/spreader, got what was remaining in the jug.

No more name changes for me.
Back to top Go down
muzzle-loader

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2014-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Pellets in a new CVA Accura?   12/29/2017, 9:55 am

While I agree that Blackhorn 209 is my favorite option in powder overall, the White Hots have produced some great groupings in several different guns that I have tested them with. While I do agree that you can get some additional velocity out of Triple Se7en, I have noticed that they require much more cleaning than the White Hots. It comes down to what is most easily available to you and preference in velocity or ease of cleaning.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.muzzle-loaders.com
OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Pellets in a new CVA Accura?   12/29/2017, 10:24 am

Everybody has the freedom to use whatever they want to shoot.

Personally, I like to clean and smell burnt sulfur. It's a manly smell. Smile

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Pellets in a new CVA Accura?   12/29/2017, 10:36 am

Yeah Pete, but you're the one making the smell without burning any powder :ROFL
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Pellets in a new CVA Accura?   12/29/2017, 10:40 am

Could be all the meat and beans.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
flint head

Male Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2008-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Pellets in a new CVA Accura?   1/10/2018, 5:33 pm

I'm really loving Black MZ in my Accura... shoots great groups, easy to clean, and very reasonably priced.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
redear

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2016-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Pellets in a new CVA Accura?   1/31/2018, 8:44 pm

Lol, I want to get away from pellets in my stainless wolf, so I spent well over 200 bucks, maybe 300, trying different powders and especially bullets to try and come up with a load that would beat out T7 pellets and a 295gr. hp power belt. I was unsuccessful in doing so and went right out there this season and dropped a buck at 187 yards with the same ole pellet load. In 2016 I took a buck at 162 yards with that same load. I do agree the powerbelts are too soft though, at 187 yards what was left of the bullet was just the back end of it under the far hide, 2 50 gr. t7 pellets, 295 gr. power belt hp. and a Nikon range finder.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pellets in a new CVA Accura?   

Back to top Go down

Pellets in a new CVA Accura?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: