Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Any Coyote hunters on here??

Go down 
AuthorMessage
BigDaddy

BigDaddy

Male Number of posts : 811
Registration date : 2009-10-08

Any Coyote hunters on here?? Empty
PostSubject: Any Coyote hunters on here??   Any Coyote hunters on here?? Empty2018-01-08, 18:28

I have a huge coyote problem on my little 20 acre goldmine that I have permission to deer hunt on. I have never hunted them before, and really don't have an interest in hunting them, but I need to take some out before they run all my deer and turkey out. I don't own a rifle, so my gun selection is between my single shot 20 gauge slug gun, my Mossberg Turkey thug, with a turkey load in it, or my muzzleloader. Looking for any tips I can get. I went out and picked up some white coverups to where since we have snow, and a mouse squeaker, and some other mouth call, forget the name of it.

Any Coyote hunters on here?? Img_6710
Any Coyote hunters on here?? Img_6714
Any Coyote hunters on here?? Img_6715
Any Coyote hunters on here?? Img_6713
Any Coyote hunters on here?? Img_6712
Any Coyote hunters on here?? Img_6711
Any Coyote hunters on here?? Img_6716
Any Coyote hunters on here?? Img_6717
Any Coyote hunters on here?? Img_6718
Any Coyote hunters on here?? Img_0111
Any Coyote hunters on here?? Img_0110
Any Coyote hunters on here?? Imag0610
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 10418
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Any Coyote hunters on here??   Any Coyote hunters on here?? Empty2018-01-08, 18:45

I would try and get ahold of some local coyote hunters. You might have better success than doing it yourself. Ask around at the gun shops. Put some ads up. Just spread the word anyway you can.

I hunt for coyotes for some local ranchers. In return they let me hunt their property for big game.

I'm addicted to black powder.
Back to top Go down
BigDaddy

BigDaddy

Male Number of posts : 811
Registration date : 2009-10-08

PostSubject: Re: Any Coyote hunters on here??   Any Coyote hunters on here?? Empty2018-01-08, 18:48

Id love to do that, and have had some guys offer to come take care of them for me, but I am the only one the landowner will let on their land.
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Any Coyote hunters on here??   Any Coyote hunters on here?? Empty2018-01-08, 19:29

In that case. Get a coyote call and learn to call them in. That looks like rabbit country. A screeching rabbit would be a good call. Build a temporary ground blind to stay hidden or even use a tree stand. You could use your muzzleloader to shoot them. I do.

Maybe use some bait if it's legal. I'm not a fan of baiting, but you aren't really hunting but killing predators.

Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16344
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Any Coyote hunters on here??   Any Coyote hunters on here?? Empty2018-01-08, 20:34

with a nice coat like that i would highly suggest using a small caliber rifle to avoid ruining the fur.
Back to top Go down
olehunter

olehunter

Male Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2015-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Any Coyote hunters on here??   Any Coyote hunters on here?? Empty2018-01-08, 21:59

When I was young my dad and I hunted them for the pelts ,dad had a shot gun for under 50 yards  , it dropped them dead ,only small pellet holes no big holes like my 06 would leave ,, Rabbit or fawn call ,tie some feathers on a  twig use  fishing line to make it rock back and forth ,they will run over after they see it , get ready to have more fun than you thought it would be
Back to top Go down
Smokin' Joe
Forum
Forum
Smokin' Joe

Male Number of posts : 2075
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Any Coyote hunters on here??   Any Coyote hunters on here?? Empty2018-01-09, 08:46

BigDaddy, 
I've never hunted them but I've hand them in close a few times turkey hunting.  My suggestion is 
get some lead no# 4 buck for one of your shotguns and set up like you do for Turkey hunting.  A box of shells and a dying rabbit coyote call is all you need.  Maybe hang a turkey feather on a low hanging bush about 25 -30 yards out to distract him.  Pay attention to the wind just like deer hunting.

One time scouting for turkeys I seen a coyote. All I had was a locator crow call (no shotgun).  I blew on it real softly just enough to make some squeaky noises.  The sound didn't resemble any animal I knew of (except maybe a baby Bigfoot) but that coyote came within 15 feet of me.  Try it.

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Any Coyote hunters on here??   Any Coyote hunters on here?? Empty2018-01-09, 09:43

Keep in mind the same call you're using I use to bring in bear and mountain lions. Sometimes bobcats too. Any predator will come in under the right conditions.

I'm not trying to bring in the cats. They just show up if you can spot them. Sneaky bastards.

Back to top Go down
BrownBear

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Any Coyote hunters on here??   Any Coyote hunters on here?? Empty2018-01-09, 17:02

In a life long ago we did a lot of calling and killing in pretty tight cover.  Our best performing load was 3" 12 gauge #4 buckshot. With a little patterning to find the best choke, we could reliably flatten coyotes out to 60 yards.

Calling is an art in itself, and I'm hopelessly out of date, so no advice there but to get with someone who's good at it.

I'll say this without hesitation:  Coyotes are smarter than the best dog you've ever known.  You'll get a few at first without much effort, but they wise up quick.  Then it's time to get really really devious.
Back to top Go down
patocazador

patocazador

Number of posts : 5852
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Any Coyote hunters on here??   Any Coyote hunters on here?? Empty2018-01-09, 18:40

Just be glad it's not wolves. I saw a wolf up in northern Minn. that stood almost as tall as the hood on my brothers pickup. We guessed its weight at ~170 lbs.

Here's one taken in Wisc. about 125 miles south of Lake Superior.

Any Coyote hunters on here?? Wolf110

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down

Any Coyote hunters on here??
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: The Hunting Lodge :: Off Topic-Hunting Lodge-
Jump to: