Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Ads

Share | 

First snow in a long time

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15276
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: First snow in a long time   January 11th 2018, 3:36 pm

We finally got our first real snow yesterday night. A full 3 1/2 inches in my measuring is right.

Been damn dry and in the mid the high 50s for to long.

Made for some decent pictures.

Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 3432
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: First snow in a long time   January 24th 2018, 8:43 am

I especially like your snow pics :rtup
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hawkthrower

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2015-02-01

PostSubject: Re: First snow in a long time   January 29th 2018, 6:41 am

We too got that snow but its gone again - just remnants in the shade. This could prove to be a challenging year for wildlife and wild fires! Especially since that couple inches of snow has been the only precipitation we've seen for over one hundred days!! Capote, lookin good!

an ancient east Indian philosopher
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: First snow in a long time   January 29th 2018, 12:03 pm

I hope we get our traditional March snow blizzards. It's been to damn dry.
Back to top Go down
RonC
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1028
Registration date : 2013-09-09

PostSubject: Re: First snow in a long time   February 1st 2018, 6:10 am

Even down here in the foothills (about 6000 ft altitude), it has been unusually dry. The snow in the mountains of southern Colorado is very low and that supplies much of our water in the summer and fall.
February and March are our biggest snow months, as Jonathan noted, so our water supply could yet be salvaged.
Ron

Outside of a Dog, a Book is Manís Best Friend. Inside of a Dog, Itís Too Dark to Read. Groucho Marx (or possibly someone earlier)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: First snow in a long time   February 1st 2018, 7:02 am

RonC,††do you have†your own drilled well or are you on a public water supply?
Have you been without water in the past due to lack of snow?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonC
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: First snow in a long time   February 1st 2018, 7:17 am

Marty, I am on a public water supply. I even was part of a research project set up in one of the bays of the water treatment plant in Golden, CO.

Several years ago, we had 6 consecutive years of drought. My area depends on snow melt in the Central Colorado Rockies for our water supply. That water ends up in the South Platte River and continues out to Kansas and other Midwest states.
Much of the Denver area water is captured in the Blue River and then in Dillion Reservoir up in the Mountains.
More important, it is the water that ends up in Clear Creek that supplies Coors Beer!
The Southern and Southwest Colorado mountain snows end up in the Colorado River that supplies several Southwest states. Due to the irrigation return water to the Colorado River Basin and the decrease in snowmelt waters over the last few decades, the Colorado River is getting saltier and saltier. In our semi-arid and arid region, this is a BIG problem.
Ron

Outside of a Dog, a Book is Manís Best Friend. Inside of a Dog, Itís Too Dark to Read. Groucho Marx (or possibly someone earlier)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: First snow in a long time   February 1st 2018, 8:59 am

Interesting.††I didn't realize agriculture had such an impact on the salinity issue given the size of the Colorado River.† †But again, look at the size of the agriculture industry out your way.
CO geology has its own natural salt deposits/springs, so I'm guessing the lack of snow melt doesn't help much in contributing to the runoff dilution factor.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonC
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: First snow in a long time   February 1st 2018, 12:48 pm

You are absolutely correct about the natural salt formations. They do contribute salinity to the river.
The farms and ranches take water from the Colorado River Basin, some evaporates and some pick up salts from the soil and run back to the river with concentrated salts. Mile by mile, more and more salts find their way to the river.
Ron

Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador

Number of posts : 5837
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: First snow in a long time   February 1st 2018, 2:18 pm

The Colorado River runs dry prior to reaching the Gulf of California due to all the withdrawals from Las Vegas and LA.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rick N Bama

Male Number of posts : 50
Location : North Alabama smack dab in the heart of Tornado Alley!
Registration date : 2017-11-23

PostSubject: Re: First snow in a long time   March 2nd 2018, 6:13 am

How much Snow do you fellows typically have over the Winter?† We normally get very little here in N. 'Bama, but we do have our moments Shocked † We had a very light dusting in Dec which quickly melted as soon as the Sun came up.† In the Winter of '14(?) I measured some 6" for the one snow we had.† One good thing about our snows is that they're normally gone within a few days.†

However, my rain gauge showed 8.02" for the month of February.† We had just over an inch yesterday.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonC
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: First snow in a long time   March 2nd 2018, 6:32 am

In the Denver metro area, we get about 14-15 inches of precipitation a year, most from snow. Figure that approximately 6-8" of snow will give you the equivalent of 1 inch of rain.
Compare that to a mountain ski town of Steamboat Springs that can get over 400 inches of snow a year - they received 331 inches of snow in 2015 and only 200 inches in 2016.
Ron

Back to top Go down
View user profile
strong eagle

Number of posts : 523
Registration date : 2016-10-11

PostSubject: Re: First snow in a long time   March 2nd 2018, 7:25 am

where i live in north western nebraska the elevation is 4000 ft. it appears to be a dry country on top but water is under us in the biggest deposit in the united states. under me is 1800 ft. of very wet sand.my well is 150 ft deep and keeps pumping water for me. that is why we did not want the pipe line from canada through here. one spill and it would ruin water for ever as the ground is pure sand with no soil in it. it supports grass this way but you could not get spilled oil out of it. we have got a little stressed in the very dry years but by and large we have a big water supply under us. the sand hills of this area is millions and millions of of acres of grass land. it was formed after the ice age as the mouth of a giant river that dried up. there for all the sand. i was raised in the sand hills of n.dak. they also was formed as the mouth of a big river that dried up. the problem up there is the water table has been rising over the last 30 years. my cousins ranch is a couple square miles of a wet bog now but when i was a kid their it was good corn ground. he has stayed in business because he has the old right to lease thousands of acres of grass land that is still usable from the feds. when i was a kid up their the water table was at 10 ft under the ground, now it is at the surface in many places. devils lake n.dak, in the last 30 years has expanded 70 miles in length. it hasnt stopped expanding yet. all of that area was in a semi drought when it was settled in the 1870/s and now it is going back to normal. the red river valley used to be a large lake . the top soil their is 12 ft. thick and every time they plow up their it smells like fish. some ares of the united states is dry and some is getting wetter. life never ever stays the same. i dont care if it rains or not here as long as my well keeps pumping.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador

Number of posts : 5837
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: First snow in a long time   March 2nd 2018, 11:57 am

After 80+ degree temps the last 3 weeks, we are getting a cool down due to that storm that's hammering PA and Mass. It's supposed to get down as low as 45 tomorrow night with highs in the 60's.†

Not much rain at all last month. We average 51" of rain/year. My son and daughter live in the Panhandle and get 59"/year.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 2403
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: First snow in a long time   March 3rd 2018, 5:30 pm

We are going to get hammered according to the reports then it goes your way Jon.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: First snow in a long time   March 3rd 2018, 6:19 pm

Ahhh shoot! Oh well, we've hardly had any snow, so I can not complain.
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 9956
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: First snow in a long time   March 4th 2018, 7:16 am

Yeah, we're in a draught this year. We've only had 70% moisture of normal. Not good.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 2403
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: First snow in a long time   March 4th 2018, 8:33 am

@OldMtnMan wrote:
Yeah, we're in a draught this year. We've only had 70% moisture of normal. Not good.

ditto

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
strong eagle

Number of posts : 523
Registration date : 2016-10-11

PostSubject: Re: First snow in a long time   March 4th 2018, 9:44 am

it was 70 degrees yesterday. this morning the yard is full of robins, a few redwing black birds and those pest of starlings. lots of sparrow types also. geese are going north over head. when the sand hill cranes go north over head then spring is really here. may snow today but the cold is over. the water is moving past my place from the elevated north. my son keeps the culvert under the drive way open so it keeps draining. the trees and bushes on the west side of the house are flooded but that is good in the spring alot of that water goes into this porous ground and gives them a good start in the spring. im going to plant about 100 sunburst locus tress i get from the state gov. this year for a dollar each. also going to plant some golden wild current. a few blueberries in 15 gal buckets. for a leaf tree the sunburst locus is best out here in this high windy country. for a ever green it is black pine or austrian pine. they are almost the same tree. of course cedar grows very good here. forget apple trees when you grow cedar as the cedar kill most apple trees. i have a lot of garlic wintered over from fal, expect that to come up soon. they will get a good dose of fish fertilizer. will harvest in july. i dont remember if i said it above but a couple of the bigger birds flew into our front large window this morning, boy that must have hurt. the drive way and 100 yard road to the blacktop is soup. hard to get out of the yard. a lady and her son was killed a couple of days ago in front of your property by a bad driver pulling right in front of them. she was a registered nurse and a native american and worked with my wife on the rez. she was a very very christian women and is now with our Lord. the young man who pulled infront of her doesnt seem to have been drunk, just a bad driver. he may loose a leg. also he may go to jail for a long time for killing two people. my sone went out their and said their was blood every where and he could see them laying on the snow dead. its been a strange week around here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: First snow in a long time   March 12th 2018, 6:53 pm

@FrontierGander wrote:
I hope we get our traditional March snow blizzards. It's been to damn dry.
You wouldn't be saying that FG if you knew what tomorrow holds for me in terms of snowfall.† March-Madness.† I'm guessing another 15"-18" by tomorrow's end.†

2 or 3 trips out I'm guessing with my snow-thrower before I can clear my driveway.† Lost power for a day on the last storm.

I'm not looking forward to our next Nor'Easter.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: First snow in a long time   March 12th 2018, 10:14 pm

I doubt we've even had a total of 12 inches down here so far Marty. Its just been to damn dry! Lots of snow in the mountains but the plains and foothills are nothing but dust.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First snow in a long time   

Back to top Go down

First snow in a long time
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Shooting Accessories & Hunter Misc.-
Jump to: