Maybe There's Still Hope for a "New California"

Go down 
AuthorMessage
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5589
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Maybe There's Still Hope for a "New California"   January 17th 2018, 9:10 am

Californians in rural areas are tired of the way the state has been run. They are proceeding to establish the State of New California which would leave San Francisco, Los Angeles, and the other coastal urban areas to continue to run "Old" California as they have in the past.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/01/16/new-california-declares-independence-california-bid-become-51st-state/1036681001/

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldMtnMan
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9806
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Maybe There's Still Hope for a "New California"   January 17th 2018, 10:09 am

Maybe the crappy part will fall in the ocean from an earthquake.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
John Neslen

Number of posts : 491
Registration date : 2015-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Maybe There's Still Hope for a "New California"   January 17th 2018, 10:46 am

That has been tried before but never got far, too many liberals!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sharpsman

Male Number of posts : 528
Registration date : 2016-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Maybe There's Still Hope for a "New California"   January 17th 2018, 5:35 pm

Two chances aka SLIM and NONE!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BrownBear

Number of posts : 274
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Maybe There's Still Hope for a "New California"   January 18th 2018, 4:13 am

My contacts in rural areas are mostly ranchers and farmers.  Conservative as they come, but practical as ranchers and farmers always are.  To a man, they want nothing to do with the separatist "nut cases" as they call them.  The implications for the economy of the area are staggering, even as the nut cases are having a good time yammering.

Their views and not necessarily mine, but they are a bunch of wise and experienced men who've wrestled a living from the land and woven their way through the politics for generations.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Maybe There's Still Hope for a "New California"   January 18th 2018, 8:35 am

@BrownBear wrote:
  The implications for the economy of the area are staggering, even as the nut cases are having a good time yammering.

I would think that the economy would be fine for ranchers and growers since the major agricultural areas are in the New California part.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BrownBear

PostSubject: Re: Maybe There's Still Hope for a "New California"   January 18th 2018, 9:48 am

@patocazador wrote:
...ranchers and growers since the major agricultural areas are in the New California part.

Right you are. And that's their point.

Setting up new bureaucracies to do the testing and certifying to qualify their products for overseas export as well as shipment around the US would break them, since the rest of the state is helping pay those bills now.  And have you ever seen a new bureaucracy cost less than the one it replaced? 

That's just one small example according to them.  The big money paying the biggest share of the taxes right now is outside the dreamland New California.  Lotta microphone grabbers being heard right now, but the powers behind the conservative throne don't like the proposed split (or the microphone grabbers) much at all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldMtnMan
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Maybe There's Still Hope for a "New California"   January 18th 2018, 10:30 am

Avacadoes, oranges, and grapes are in old Cal.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Maybe There's Still Hope for a "New California"   January 18th 2018, 3:56 pm

Bear Claw wrote:
Avacadoes, oranges, and grapes are in old Cal.

I don't know if it's still true but about 10 years ago one county in Fla. (Polk Co.) produced more citrus than the whole state of California.

All the vegetable crops that we get from California seem to be grown in the Central and Imperial valleys.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldMtnMan
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Maybe There's Still Hope for a "New California"   January 18th 2018, 6:15 pm

I'm just saying not all the crops are in the New Cal area. I went to high school in Santa Baraba and half of the whole area was orange groves. No idea what it's like now. That's just one small town. In No Cal it's wine country and grape growing.

You don't have to go too far east in Cal to get to desert.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14951
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Maybe There's Still Hope for a "New California"   January 18th 2018, 6:37 pm

Well, it most likely will be Pot now headslap

BrownBear

PostSubject: Re: Maybe There's Still Hope for a "New California"   January 19th 2018, 8:25 am

I bet that's a big part of their ag future.

I well remember about 30 years ago when the Humboldt and Del Norte sheriff's on the north coast got together and put out a press release with a dollar value of illegal pot grows in their two counties, probably hoping for more federal crime fighting dollars. Didn't take the wise guys long to point out that illegal pot growing was worth more than the entire timber industry in the two counties.   No doubt it's been even bigger than that in the years since, and will take off like a sky rocket with legal blessings.

I hate the stuff, and was really proud when the town nearest our place in CO outlawed it even as CO made it legal.  Since our place is outside city limits we've been approached by several people wanting to lease a few acres from us for legal grow operations.  Big money offered too because we own plenty of ag water.  Confused hell out of them when I told them to take their money and pound sand.

In CA the agriculture within "Old California" is a pimple on the butt of the agriculture in "New California." All by itself Kern County's agriculture is bigger than that in most states, and they're just one of many counties in the San Juaquin Valley that can make that claim. All of them are in "New California."

Last edited by BrownBear on January 19th 2018, 8:30 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldMtnMan
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Maybe There's Still Hope for a "New California"   January 19th 2018, 8:28 am

Pot still isn't legal anywhere with the Feds. It sounds like the Trump crew wants to enforce it.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sharpsman

Male Number of posts : 528
Registration date : 2016-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Maybe There's Still Hope for a "New California"   January 19th 2018, 10:02 am

Me thinks a lot of people need to do a lot of reading!!

SUPREMACY CLAUSE

The Supremacy Clause of the United States Constitution (Article VI, Clause 2) establishes that the Constitution, federal laws made pursuant to it, and treaties made under its authority, constitute the supreme law of the land.[1] It provides that state courts are bound by the supreme law; in case of conflict between federal and state law, the federal law must be applied. Even state constitutions are subordinate to federal law.[2] In essence, it is a conflict-of-laws rule specifying that certain federal acts take priority over any state acts that conflict with federal law. In this respect, the Supremacy Clause follows the lead of Article XIII of the Articles of Confederation, which provided that "Every State shall abide by the determination of the United States in Congress Assembled, on all questions which by this confederation are submitted to them."[3] A constitutional provision announcing the supremacy of federal law, the Supremacy Clause assumes the underlying priority of federal authority, at least when that authority is expressed in the Constitution itself.[4] No matter what the federal government or the states might wish to do, they have to stay within the boundaries of the Constitution. This makes the Supremacy Clause the cornerstone of the whole American political structure.[5][6]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Maybe There's Still Hope for a "New California"   

Back to top Go down

Maybe There's Still Hope for a "New California"
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Off Topic-Free for All :: Off Topic-Free for All-
Jump to: