Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in
Share | 

Pre season

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Turdbird

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2016-05-20

PostSubject: Pre season   January 25th 2018, 4:31 pm

I'll get this started. Today I collected soil samples to take and have tested. Also spread 2 wheelbarrels full of chicken turds. Been flippin through the seed catalogs and getting orders ready. What you been doing to get ready, before long it will be time to get taters in the ground.
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Turdbird

PostSubject: Re: Pre season   January 26th 2018, 1:07 pm

Strawberrys is one of the things on my list for this year. Since I don't have a dedicated area for I'm thinking of putting them in wine a whiskey barrels that I've cut in half. II've also got 2 berms down by the pond that are about 4 ft high and 20 ft long. Thinking of putting some on these and just see what happens. No way to really care for those just plant and see if they take off. Going to take 2 halves of the barrels and put asparagues  in them. I've got plenty of ground to plant things but between the chickens and the dogs digging everything up I'll try the barrels. It's a lot less cost than fencing another large garden.
Back to top Go down
patocazador

patocazador

Number of posts : 5853
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Pre season   January 26th 2018, 5:29 pm

I have trouble finding new dirt to use. All the sunny spots around my house have had gardens before and now have nematodes. Also a #@$%& gopher that eats anything I plant now. He killed off my sweet potato patch.

Out in the pasture areas the cows eat everything even if I put electric fencing around it.
I really missed not having fresh mustard and collard greens this winter.

I have a bunch of grapefruit and tangerines that sweetened up enough to eat after our 2 freezes but that's it.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
rebs

Male Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2017-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Pre season   January 27th 2018, 10:06 am

Nothing yet, we still have snow and more to come.
Back to top Go down
Smokin' Joe
Forum
Forum
Smokin' Joe

Male Number of posts : 2027
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Pre season   January 27th 2018, 6:38 pm

Food for thought!
In my last house I had a garden 40' X 60'.  A good third of the garden I dedicated to growing pumpkins. Deer love Pumpkins. In fact they love the pumpkin leaves also.   I grew them for Halloween and afterwards I would cut the pumpkins up in in 4 quarters for the deer.  They would eat 50 pumpkins in no time.  The only thing left would be the large stem.  They never ate that the stem.

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
Turdbird

PostSubject: Re: Pre season   January 27th 2018, 10:47 pm

I have been very fortunate to not have any problems with deer. Now rabbits are a pain in my ass. I set traps all around on the inside of my fence and still end up getting out of bed a couple times a night to shoot more. I think they are climbing over the fence somehow. I had to replant beans 4 times last year, didn't think I was ever going to run out of the little bastards.
Back to top Go down
patocazador

patocazador

PostSubject: Re: Pre season   January 29th 2018, 7:43 pm

I hope you're right. We've had two hard freezes here this winter which is two more than usual. A town about 25 miles from me got down to 16 deg. actual temperature. We had 21 deg.

When spring is coming for sure, all the robins mass up eating what they can. When they leave, there are no more freezes. They haven't left yet.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
patocazador

patocazador

PostSubject: Re: Pre season   January 29th 2018, 8:33 pm

No ice on the roads and no snow here but the freezing temps. hurt farmers and grove owners. The tropical fish farms are really whacked too.

It killed the pasture so I have to buy hay for the first time in a dozen years.

Back to top Go down
patocazador

patocazador

PostSubject: Re: Pre season   January 30th 2018, 9:16 am

$50-65 for the round ones depending on type of hay and protein content. A roll only lasts the cows for about 4-5 days. They waste a lot by trampling it into the dirt. The hay ring stops a lot of it but they tear it apart and step on the edges.

Back to top Go down
patocazador

patocazador

PostSubject: Re: Pre season   January 30th 2018, 6:06 pm

Most of the cows around here are angus/brahma crosses. They are pretty mean. I have limousins because they are gentle and don't try to kill me.

I was raised where there were no poisonous snakes so I don't look for them. However, if I smell a cottonmouth, I'll go out of my way to find and kill it.

The azaleas are starting to bloom but they are stupid flowers that don't know about when it will freeze.  Wink  The camillias already bloomed last month. They can take lower temps without a lot of problems.

Back to top Go down
patocazador

patocazador

PostSubject: Re: Pre season   January 31st 2018, 9:21 am

" i bet it is hard to keep critters out of your garden where you live. most of all snakes really love mine."

We have so many raptors plus foxes and coons that the rodents aren't much of a problem. The coons are with corn and melons. The worst problem is insects. I don't like to use insecticides but the bugs and caterpillars get out of hand sometimes and I have to use some Sevin dust.

I seldom see a snake but I don't look for them. We have an indigo snake that lives by the house. It takes care of other snakes and rats/mice.

BTW, I don't have many citrus trees just ones that have volunteered. My wife has a "pet" Japanese persimmon but I don't care much for the fruit.

Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3101
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Pre season   February 24th 2018, 5:52 pm

There's nothing like a "Turdbird in every garden.....  Wink   Surprised   Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: Pre season   February 25th 2018, 7:48 pm

@Buck Conner wrote:
There's nothing like a "Turdbird in every garden.....  Wink   Surprised   Very Happy

They have all been in there the last two days. If I'd get about 20 more, I wouldn't even need a rototiller.
Back to top Go down

Pre season
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Food Plots :: Home Grown Gardens-
Jump to: