Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Ads

Share | 

Rotary Capper

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15276
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Rotary Capper   January 25th 2018, 6:11 pm

Stoney1 Made this for me back in September! A neat little capping gadget that rotates to reveal the next percussion cap.

His words,

Here's something that I made back in the 70's.

It's a "Rotary Capper"
I can't take credit for its authenticity, but I can take credit for re-introducing it to the Black Powder community. I actually found one of these in a "Mountain Man museum" here in Pennsylvania back in the 70's. Whether or not it was from the imagination of the owner I can’t say?

This was supposedly something that Mountain Men in the 17 and 1800's made and used? I didn't have an opportunity to "handle" it so I had to depend on my memory to recreate it when I got back home.

This is as close as I could get! I hope you find it interesting?

I'd be curious about your thoughts and any information you might have on this Supposed invention. I know it works, I used this one for years. Thank you.
God bless:
Two Feathers
at The mountain Man Emporium

Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
falcon

Male Number of posts : 1421
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Rotary Capper   January 25th 2018, 7:19 pm

That's neat.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kentucky Colonel
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1632
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Rotary Capper   January 25th 2018, 7:34 pm

He built that? Cool. How about a 'How to?' Or, a picture of all the parts? What did he make it out of?

And, the 'cool factor' of having an engraved personal gift from a man named Two Feathers? Priceless.

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
stoney1
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2017-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Rotary Capper   January 26th 2018, 11:51 am

@falcon wrote:
That's neat.
falcon
 Thank you. When I saw it in the 70's I knew I had to make one.
Stoney

stoney1
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Rotary Capper   January 26th 2018, 11:59 am

@Kentucky Colonel wrote:
He built that? Cool. How about a 'How to?' Or, a picture of all the parts? What did he make it out of?

And, the 'cool factor' of having an engraved personal gift from a man named Two Feathers? Priceless.
Kentucy Colonel
Yup...I built it. It's not the easiest thing to make, but it's well within the abilities of any of you crafty folks here on the forum. I forgot all about it for a year, then I made one from memory, (not this one), this one I made for Frontier Gander. The first one I made and used for years is a lot rattier than this nice new one, but it still worked and I still have it. Thanks.
Stoney

stoney1
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Rotary Capper   January 26th 2018, 12:20 pm

@Kentucky Colonel wrote:

Kentucky Colonel
Sorry...I missed the other part. A "how to" Hopefully. "Pictures of the parts", Definitely, just as soon as I get back into my shop to do another one. What it's made of? My original is Copper and Leather. This one is Brass and Leather. I'll try to explain it to you. My stroke makes it a little hard to organize my thoughts, but I'll give it a shot. I quit teaching because of my " scrambled brain."
The hardest part is cutting the 2 circles out of Copper or Brass, after that; the rest is tedious, but not impossible.  I use a floor model scroll saw, a drill press, and a belt grinder. I break a lot of blades! I'll try and get some pictures of the parts with measurements and of the whole thing "In progress" will that be acceptable?  Thanks for the interest guys. I really appreciate the support I get here on the forum.
Stoney (Two Feathers)

rebs

Male Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2017-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Rotary Capper   January 27th 2018, 8:26 am

That is beautiful, I love it and knowing that you made it makes it even better.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
stoney1
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Rotary Capper   January 27th 2018, 12:24 pm

@rebs wrote:
rebs
 Thank you very much. I appreciate your support.
I plan on doing a little "pictorial tutorial" Wink as soon as I can. I hope people like that idea. I know I'm a firm believer that " a picture is worth a thousand words."
God bless:
Stoney

patocazador

Number of posts : 5837
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Rotary Capper   January 27th 2018, 1:24 pm

It sure looks nifty. Maybe you can set up so you can cut out a bunch of the disks at one time and  proceed to each step with multiple repetitive procedures producing several at a time. Then you could sell them. -- Maybe have some friends or relatives do the tricky steps. 

I see a market for these.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rebs

PostSubject: Re: Rotary Capper   January 27th 2018, 1:35 pm

I would definitely buy one
Back to top Go down
View user profile
stoney1
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Rotary Capper   January 27th 2018, 1:47 pm

@rebs wrote:
I would definitely buy one
rebs
 Thank you for the vote of confidence, but they cost too much to make. Waaaaay to labor intensive. I have all the supplies here. The materials are not bad. Being a leather worker, I have tons of scrap 8-9 oz. leather, and I use .035" Brass sheet stock, which you can get at an Ace Tru Value Hardware store for about $12.00 a sheet. The other things are a Copper Rivet, solder and iron . You could use a small torch, but the flame is too hard to control and you end up ruining the leather. The labor cost is HORRIBLE! It takes me about 3 hours to make one. I'd have to charge $25.00 a piece!? Thanks again.
God bless:
Stoney

patocazador

Number of posts : 5837
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Rotary Capper   January 27th 2018, 1:53 pm

$25/each? If they function properly, I think they'd be well worth that much.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rebs

PostSubject: Re: Rotary Capper   January 27th 2018, 1:55 pm

similar cappers on TOTW are a little more than that
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rebs

PostSubject: Re: Rotary Capper   January 27th 2018, 1:56 pm

This could be the start of a small business for you
Back to top Go down
View user profile
stoney1
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Rotary Capper   January 27th 2018, 2:16 pm

@rebs wrote:
This could be the start of a small business for you
rebs
 Thanks, but I have a small business. I'm the maker of the patch knives and other accessories listed in the Mountain Man Emporium on this website. If I couldn't make any money on the cappers, it wouldn't be of much use to me to try selling them? I doubt that anyone would pay $25.00 for one? You can get a straight line caper online for $5-10 bucks. Thanks again for your support, advice, and compliments.
God bless:
Stoney (Two Feathers)

stoney1
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Rotary Capper   January 28th 2018, 7:46 am

@patocazador wrote:
$25/each? If they function properly, I think they'd be well worth that much.
patocazador
Sorry, I didn't see this reply. Maybe there IS a market for these?
Thanks for the confidence.
God bless:
Stoney

stoney1
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Rotary Capper   January 28th 2018, 8:00 am

@rebs wrote:
similar cappers on TOTW are a little more than that
rebs
 I'm terribly sorry, but like I told patocazador, I didn't see your reply. For some reason I only get email updates about certain replies to my posts???
 I wasn't aware that ANYONE else in the world sold something even similar to these? I (really) thought that this design came from the mind of a grizzled, eccentric old guy who fancied himself a Mountain Man and Historian here in N.E. Pa. back in the 70's. Guess I was wrong? Thanks for the information.
God bless:
Stoney (Two Feathers)

stoney1
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Rotary Capper   March 2nd 2018, 12:19 pm

@rebs wrote:
rebs
 I promised you that I'd do a little tutorial with photos on this rotary capper. I'm a man of my word, so I'm starting one this morning. I'll take as many photos as I can (with the best explanations that I can give) and I'm hoping that with Frontier Gander's help we can get them posted? Once you see how it's made you may want to try it yourself, however if you don't, I'll be happy to sell you one.
Right now I have a guitar repair, 6 knives and a Flintlock build for my doctor, headslap on the go, but I'll try to move this tutorial along as fast as I can. At any point if I'm not clear, please feel free to email me. I think any of the guys (or girls) on this forum should be able to make one of these. This can all be done with simple hand tools, I just happen to be fortunate enough to have the power tools to do it, so this saves me a little time. I'm 68 and retired. Time is something I have a LOT of.headslap2.  Keep an eye out for the post. I'll get it ASAP. Thank you for your interest.
God bless:
Stoney

stoney1
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Rotary Capper   March 2nd 2018, 12:23 pm

@Kentucky Colonel wrote:

Kentucky Colonel
I promised you that I'd do a little tutorial with photos on this rotary capper. I'm a man of my word, so I'm starting one this morning. I'll take as many photos as I can (with the best explanations that I can give) and I'm hoping that with Frontier Gander's help we can get them posted? Once you see how it's made you may want to try it yourself, however if you don't, I'll be happy to sell you one.
Right now I have a guitar repair, 6 knives and a Flintlock build for my doctor, headslap on the go, but I'll try to move this tutorial along as fast as I can. At any point if I'm not clear, please feel free to email me. I think any of the guys (or girls) on this forum should be able to make one of these. This can all be done with simple hand tools, I just happen to be fortunate enough to have the power tools to do it, so this saves me a little time. I'm 68 and retired. Time is something I have a LOT of.headslap2.  Keep an eye out for the post. I'll get it ASAP. Thank you for your interest.
God bless:
Stoney

Kentucky Colonel
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1632
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Rotary Capper   March 3rd 2018, 5:59 am

Sweet! I am looking forward to seeing this. cheers

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
stoney1
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Rotary Capper   March 3rd 2018, 9:47 am

@Kentucky Colonel wrote:
Sweet! I am looking forward to seeing this. cheers
KC
 Hold on there partner... This may take a little while? I laid out the circles on brass shet stock yesterday morning, but that's as far as I got.  I have every intention of doing this, but it takes a back seat for the time being. I'm thrilled that you have an interest in it. I'm not certain how "time feasible" these rotary cappers are? I just made a couple 'cause I thought it was a neat idea. When you factor in the time required, they're not too cost effective? NOW...if you want to look REALLY cool at the next rendezvous then by all means knock yourself out! I'll show you how it's done, then it's up to you to decide if you want to take the time to make one? Not many people have ever had much interest in the things I make, so this is new territory for me. That's why I loved being a vocational technology teacher, my students wanted to know how to make the things I showed them. Thank you.
God bless:
Stoney

FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Rotary Capper   March 6th 2018, 4:13 pm

Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Rotary Capper   March 19th 2018, 6:22 pm

Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 2403
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Rotary Capper   March 27th 2018, 2:35 pm

@FrontierGander wrote:
Stoney1 - His words,

STONEY, A GENTLEMAN BY THE NAME OF RUSS HAMN MADE THESE FROM THE LATE 60'S TO EARLY 70'S THEN GAVE THE DESIGN TO TED CASH [TC] (NOT THE RIFLE COMPANY). ADVERTISED IN MUZZLE BLASTS AND BUCKSKIN REPORT.

It's a "Rotary Capper" I can't take credit for its authenticity, but I can take credit for re-introducing it to the Black Powder community. I actually found one of these in a "Mountain Man museum" here in Pennsylvania back in the 70's.  

STONEY, YOU DIDN'T "RE-INTRODUCE". RUSS HAMN TOLD US BACK IN THE LATE 60'S HE HAD AN ORIGINAL HE HAD COPIED FOR HIS DESIGN THAT HE WAS SELLING.

This was supposedly something that Mountain Men in the 17 and 1800's made and used? I didn't have an opportunity to "handle" it so I had to depend on my memory to recreate it when I got back home.

THEY DATE MID 1800'S TO THE AMERICAN CIVIL WAR PRODUCED IN THE NEW ENGLAND STATES IN LARGE NUMBERS - UNION TROOPS.

God bless:
Two Feathers

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
stoney1
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Rotary Capper   March 27th 2018, 4:35 pm

@Buck Conner wrote:
@FrontierGander wrote:
Stoney1 - His words,

STONEY, A GENTLEMAN BY THE NAME OF RUSS HAMN MADE THESE FROM THE LATE 60'S TO EARLY 70'S THEN GAVE THE DESIGN TO TED CASH [TC] (NOT THE RIFLE COMPANY). ADVERTISED IN MUZZLE BLASTS AND BUCKSKIN REPORT.

It's a "Rotary Capper" I can't take credit for its authenticity, but I can take credit for re-introducing it to the Black Powder community. I actually found one of these in a "Mountain Man museum" here in Pennsylvania back in the 70's.  

STONEY, YOU DIDN'T "RE-INTRODUCE". RUSS HAMN TOLD US BACK IN THE LATE 60'S HE HAD AN ORIGINAL HE HAD COPIED FOR HIS DESIGN THAT HE WAS SELLING.

THEY DATE MID 1800'S TO THE AMERICAN CIVIL WAR PRODUCED IN THE NEW ENGLAND STATES IN LARGE NUMBERS - UNION TROOPS.

God bless:
Two Feathers

Buck
I  didn't take credit for  inventing it. I said I re-introduced it to today's BP community. WHICH I DID!! Don't confuse re-introduction with re-inventing? Until now, NO ONE I know of (including the members) ever heard of, or had seen one. Apparently it's not THAT well known or I wouldn't have been asked to do a tutorial on how I made it! I was asked by some of the members to show them how I made mine, so they can make one. I always say "NO good deed goes unpunished," Thank you for confirming that. I guess that'll be the end of the tutorial? Apparently anyone who wants to make one can just ask Russ Hamm, I'm sure he'll be happy to pass along written instructions....for a fee. Thank you for pointing out to me that helping isn't necessarily a good thing.
 I'd like to know if any of the members REALLY do want to know how they're made, before I waste more time? Thanks again for the info. If anyone IS interested please let me know here.
God bless:
Stoney

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rotary Capper   

Back to top Go down

Rotary Capper
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Shooting Accessories & Hunter Misc.-
Jump to: