Muzzleloading Forum

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Ads

Share | 

Thoughts or suggestions sought on a refinish.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
RhinoDave

Male Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2017-01-25

PostSubject: Thoughts or suggestions sought on a refinish.   January 30th 2018, 6:10 pm

I'm currently redoing the Traditions Pennsylvania in the picture below and am pretty set on what I want to do with it. The problem is with the other rifle. It is a Hopkins and Allen  with a two piece stock. I'm toying with the idea of making it into a half stock instead of the two piece full stock. The forend is long enough that it shouldn't look odd. The front piece is 19" long out of a 36" barrel. Looking for any ideas or opinions regarding this idea. Let me know what you all think.

RhinoDave

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts or suggestions sought on a refinish.   January 30th 2018, 6:12 pm

Another angle of the rifle.

patocazador

Number of posts : 5828
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts or suggestions sought on a refinish.   January 30th 2018, 7:25 pm

Doesn't that H&A have brackets welded/soldered to the bottom of the barrel to attach the front piece?

I have an Italian PR rifle that is similar and it has thin metal brackets that accepts the screws. If yours is like that, it might be difficult to remove them and still make the barrel look nice. Also what about the ramrod keepers?

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RhinoDave

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts or suggestions sought on a refinish.   January 31st 2018, 10:39 am

@patocazador wrote:
Doesn't that H&A have brackets welded/soldered to the bottom of the barrel to attach the front piece?.........
I'm not sure what type of tenon is holding the fore end on but it is pinned. I'm kind of assuming it's a standard tenon dovetailed to the barrel. IF I decide to convert to a half stock. I would fabricate a flat piece of steel to fit tightly into the dovetail slot and slightly peen the edges to reduce the gaps to a very thin line. The under barrel rib and the ramrod pipes would be soldered on instead of drilling and tapping a bunch of holes. Track of the wolf has under barrel ribs for ~$20  I would also replace the rear pin with a reinforced tennon, tenon plates and a key. Possibly going to two keys like a mountain rifle instead of one.

heelerau

Male Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2018-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts or suggestions sought on a refinish.   February 15th 2018, 3:58 pm

I reckon it would convert nicely to a half stock, failing that perhaps a brass wear plate could be placed over the current two piece joint, and make it look like a period repair. You could over all slim that for end right down, like an early style. I don't know how good a lock those spanish rifles had, ie how reliable a sparker she is.

RhinoDave

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts or suggestions sought on a refinish.   February 16th 2018, 10:26 am

I'm kind of on the fence right now as to what I'll end up doing. Converting to a half stock will cost a little more and also require a little more labor. I don't know if I want to invest that much into it. As Gordon mentioned this is a spanish made rifle and lock. The barrels have a fair reputation but the locks.... not so much. This one has already proven that it is inconsistant and will require some work to get it igniting dependably. The main reason I'm looking at the half stock conversion is how badly finished the forend is. There is a very noticable dip along the top edge that is almost all the way down the side flat of the barrel and there is a very wide gap at the nosecap.

heelerau

Male Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2018-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts or suggestions sought on a refinish.   February 16th 2018, 2:46 pm

I wonder if you could get an RPL lock from TOW to drop into that rifle. I was gifted a lovely early style .36 long rifle, early 1970s' custom job, Lancaster style with a Douglas barrel. It had a Russ Hamm lock which a good local locksmith had done work on over the years and it still did not work reliably. I purchased an L and R RPL lock from TOW and had it tuned by a chap in Minnesota before having it shipped down under. Works a treat. I am not even sure those early Spanish reproductions had a bridle in the lock. From what you say looks like a half stock might be the go.  I guess soldering on a rib could be a challenge. I have to redo one of my half stock rifles, at this stage the blessings of loctite !!

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts or suggestions sought on a refinish.   

Back to top Go down

Thoughts or suggestions sought on a refinish.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Gun Builders Corner-
Jump to: