Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Need A Job? No Experience and No Training Necessary.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5596
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Need A Job? No Experience and No Training Necessary.   February 3rd 2018, 4:58 pm

Yesterday I went small game hunting at a Florida WMA. Every management area has its own seasons and rules. They check you in when you arrive and out when you leave. Almost every WMA that has a small game season includes hogs along with rabbits, squirrels,etc.

While driving in the area, I got pulled over by a game warden. It turned out that he was looking for someone who didn't check in who was driving a black Chevy P/U. My truck is a tan Ford P/U. He looked in and saw my 2 guns. "What kind of guns are those?", he asked. I said "a shotgun and a muzzleloader." "What caliber is the muzzleloader?" I said ".50 caliber." 
"That's too big for small game. I'm going to write you a ticket." I asked, "For what?"
"Just a minute." He took the WMA brochure out and started to read it out loud. "Oh, I guess you can use it for hogs. But you better be careful with a gun that powerful. It has a range of over 5 miles."

OK, I said. "I'll be careful" and I drove away.

So, if you need a job that requires no experience, no training, and no brains, the Florida Wildlife Commission can use you.  geek

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokin' Joe
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1925
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Need A Job? No Experience and No Training Necessary.   February 3rd 2018, 5:12 pm

Laughing

Semper Fi……..

Pennsylvania Fowler Flintlock .62 Cal (46" Oct to round barrel)
Investarm Hawken .58 cal. Flintlock
Investarm Hawken .54 cal. Percussion
CVA Accura MR nitride .50 cal. - 2-8x32 Nikon Monarch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonC
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 963
Registration date : 2013-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Need A Job? No Experience and No Training Necessary.   February 3rd 2018, 5:28 pm

For five miles, you might want to aim a bit high. Laughing
Ron

OldMtnMan
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9834
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Need A Job? No Experience and No Training Necessary.   February 3rd 2018, 5:58 pm

How much drop in 5 miles?

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14952
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Need A Job? No Experience and No Training Necessary.   February 3rd 2018, 6:02 pm

probably 12 miles of drop at 5 miles.

dbowling

Male Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2014-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Need A Job? No Experience and No Training Necessary.   February 3rd 2018, 9:11 pm

oh brother, that's bad.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mlrifleNY

Male Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2017-09-25

PostSubject: Re: Need A Job? No Experience and No Training Necessary.   February 4th 2018, 5:35 am

That is not uncommon at all. I was stopped by a game warden because he thought I was hunting in a State Park that didn't allow hunting. I had to show him that it was as long as I was using a muzzleloader. I was also stopped in the same place a few years later to check the doe I just got. He was sure I was in the wrong zone from my permit. I had to explain to him just where the boundaries were.

Jim

44 mag Henry BBB
1860 Henry in 45 colt
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BrownBear

Number of posts : 278
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Need A Job? No Experience and No Training Necessary.   February 4th 2018, 7:38 am

I ran into the right kind of game warden years ago.  He admitted that he knew little about muzzleloaders and observed that I appeared to know something. So he spent almost an hour with me jawing and asking intelligent questions about the gear and what the regs were trying to say.  Even got a little interested in how guys might be trying to get around the laws and what he should watch for! Very Happy 

Stayed in touch with him, and he accepted my invite to go shooting. Been there, done that, and he's now a muzzleloader.  Even bought a boat from him a couple of years later and we fish together now and then.  Yup.  Good friend and a now-savvy muzzleloader warden. All cuzz I was polite, interested in him being able to do a good job, and especially kept my sense of humor.  Got another one in training right now, as a matter of fact! These guys are out there helping care for and protect the resource, and they deserve our respect and support.  And our help now and then. cowyboy hatoff
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldMtnMan
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9834
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Need A Job? No Experience and No Training Necessary.   February 4th 2018, 8:41 am

Our wardens know a little bit about muzzleloaders, because we have so many stupid rules about them. They need to know what is and what isn't legal. Well, they sort of do.

Sabots aren't legal here. I asked a warden once if a patch on a round ball was a sabot. He didn't know. I notice they put that in the brochure now.

I'm working on another question to stump them the next time a warden stops me.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Need A Job? No Experience and No Training Necessary.   February 4th 2018, 9:07 am

99% are clueless about muzzle loaders.

BrownBear

Number of posts : 278
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Need A Job? No Experience and No Training Necessary.   February 4th 2018, 10:45 am

@FrontierGander wrote:
99% are clueless about muzzle loaders.

We gotta use every opportunity to help them fix that.  And 99% is probably better than the folks in state capitals who wrote the laws in the first place.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Need A Job? No Experience and No Training Necessary.   February 4th 2018, 2:19 pm

I think this guy was a veteran of Iraq or Afghanistan. He was real young-looking so he may have been introduced to .50 caliber BMG and .50 Barrett which is used to snipe the bad guys at over a mile.

However, that doesn't explain thinking a tan Ford is a black Chevy.  scratch

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Need A Job? No Experience and No Training Necessary.   February 4th 2018, 2:21 pm

color blind maybe? lol. Just an excuse to pull you over.

strong eagle

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2016-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Need A Job? No Experience and No Training Necessary.   February 4th 2018, 6:56 pm

thanks for that one, my jaw dropped and i was stunned that anyone can be that, with out knowledge and in that type of work. my son is going to college next year for wild life manage ment. he wont be one of those guys. their are two things in his life important beside God and Gods son, baseball and hunting and trapping. their are countless coons hanging on the deck now and thats not counting the ones he has already skinned out and sold. thanks again, that was interesting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kentucky Colonel
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1576
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Need A Job? No Experience and No Training Necessary.   February 4th 2018, 7:18 pm

Glad you ran into him instead of me.

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Need A Job? No Experience and No Training Necessary.   February 4th 2018, 7:32 pm

@FrontierGander wrote:
probably 12 miles of drop at 5 miles.

I missed this the first time through. That's funny, Jon.  Razz

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need A Job? No Experience and No Training Necessary.   

Back to top Go down

Need A Job? No Experience and No Training Necessary.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Off Topic-Free for All :: Off Topic-Free for All-
Jump to: