Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Ads

Share | 

TC Hawken old kit rebuild and refinish

Go down 
AuthorMessage
RhinoDave

Male Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2017-01-25

PostSubject: TC Hawken old kit rebuild and refinish   February 4th 2018, 11:46 am

Just checking to see if there is any interest in a step by step with pictures of a second hand Hawken that I stripped down and refinished a few years back. I did this on another forum but with photobucket pictures so it is long gone. The rifle is still one of my favorites to shoot.

strong eagle

Number of posts : 534
Registration date : 2016-10-11

PostSubject: Re: TC Hawken old kit rebuild and refinish   February 4th 2018, 12:29 pm

yes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15287
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: TC Hawken old kit rebuild and refinish   February 4th 2018, 12:31 pm

Yes please!
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Smokin' Joe

Male Number of posts : 2000
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: TC Hawken old kit rebuild and refinish   February 4th 2018, 5:46 pm

Glad to see it!

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RhinoDave

PostSubject: Re: TC Hawken old kit rebuild and refinish   February 4th 2018, 8:29 pm

First a little history. I picked this up pretty cheaply at one of our local gun stores. It is a kit gun that looked like it was finished pretty quickly with a minimum of fitting or finishing. The cheek was engraved with what looks like punched in lettering that changed from cursive to block printing. As is typical with many first time kits all the edges around the lock plates, cheek and comb were sanded round. Here's a few pictures before.
This shows the lettering on the cheek.

Next two pictures show the excess amount of wood left on the stock and the rounded lock plate bolt panel. It also shows the stock triggerguard with the extra hook I  dislike.

Last edited by RhinoDave on April 15th 2018, 7:38 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RhinoDave

PostSubject: Re: TC Hawken old kit rebuild and refinish   February 4th 2018, 8:46 pm

First before any rework it made a trip to the range after a complete inspection and cleanup. Honestly, I think it was a gift that was thrown in a gun cabinet or closet and left for dead. Other than being pretty dusty, the barrel and bore were in great shape. First step was to completely dismantle it and begin to reshape the stock. This entailed reshaping the lock panels, reducing the cheek to remove all the lettering, reshaping the comb. and general slimming down of the whole rifle. from the foreend cap all the way back to the buttplate.
Lock panels getting reshaped for better definition.

Reducing the size of the cheek. This also helps to reduce cheek slap which is common in this model rifle due to the shallow drop.

Showing the reshaping of the comb and some of the slimming areas before final finish stripping. 

I didn't get a good picture of the forend wood removal but it was trimming down the sides along the barrel channel and around the bottom curve of the forend. This also included filing down the endcap to make it slimmer and shaped  a little better. After all the reshaping was complete, I used a citrus based stripper to removel what little finish was left on the stock.

Last edited by RhinoDave on April 15th 2018, 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RhinoDave

PostSubject: Re: TC Hawken old kit rebuild and refinish   February 4th 2018, 9:30 pm

With the reshaping of the stock complete, it was time to move on to furniture design and dressup. I had two definate things in mind to start. These were to replace the triggerguard with one a little more in the style of a Hawken rifle without the extra finger hook and to add a toeplate. I also had a bunch of small stars and wing inlays in my parts box so I decided on an eagle and stars motif for the rifle. Since Hawken or Plains rifles are normally sort of.....plain, I needed to keep the ornamentation on the subdued side. Because of this I decided to keep the large and visable inlays made of wire and not solid brass. Hopefully, this explains why I ended up doing the things I did. 
First up, the making and installing the toeplate. I ended up making my own so it would match the other stars I had on hand.
Fabricating the toeplate from sheet brass.

Finished toeplate and starting the inlay.

Toeplate in place with sling stud and screw.

Last edited by RhinoDave on April 15th 2018, 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RhinoDave

PostSubject: Re: TC Hawken old kit rebuild and refinish   February 4th 2018, 9:42 pm

As mentioned in other posts, I'm not a fan of Dimick style triggerguards. I was lucky enough to find a triggerguard I liked in TOWs catalog. It was large enough for the double triggers and the mounting plates were large enough to cover the stock inlets. It was rough cast so it required quite a bit of finishing before use. 
Rough cast just rubber banded to determine exact position. 

After inletting the guard into the stock.

The toeplate and triggerguard installed.

Last edited by RhinoDave on April 15th 2018, 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RhinoDave

PostSubject: Re: TC Hawken old kit rebuild and refinish   February 4th 2018, 9:57 pm

Next up are the star inlays. I had a silver cutout inlay that I decided to put under the lock bolt washer. This would add a little ornamentation to the panel without being too obvious. I also added small stars on the underside of the stock between the toeplate and triggerguard and in front of the trigger guard even with the front of the lock panels.
Cutting in the silver star.

Finished inlay.

Star in front of triggerguard.

Star behind triggerguard.

Last edited by RhinoDave on April 15th 2018, 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RhinoDave

PostSubject: Re: TC Hawken old kit rebuild and refinish   February 4th 2018, 10:10 pm

Last but not least are the wire inlays. First added was the eagle on the cheek. After finishing this, I decided to add wings around the barrel tenons just to add a little to the forend. After completing these, I finally decided to add the eagle in front of the patchbox. 
Eagle pattern glued on cheek and some of the wire installed.

Wire installed and filed flush with stock.

Wings around barrel tenons.

Eagle in front of patchbox.

Last edited by RhinoDave on April 15th 2018, 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mike in Oz

Male Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2017-09-22

PostSubject: Re: TC Hawken old kit rebuild and refinish   February 5th 2018, 3:13 am

Holy Molley......  Shocked

Keep those posts coming RhinoDave, I NEED to see how this project turns out!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador

Number of posts : 5837
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: TC Hawken old kit rebuild and refinish   February 5th 2018, 7:00 am

You really do great wire inlays. The stock looks like you almost had to take off half the thickness to get the desired result. 
Beautiful job.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokin' Joe

PostSubject: Re: TC Hawken old kit rebuild and refinish   February 5th 2018, 7:21 am

You really have some skills!!  Your in-letting and wire work is beautiful.

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RhinoDave

PostSubject: Re: TC Hawken old kit rebuild and refinish   February 5th 2018, 6:36 pm

Time to get r done. With all the reshaping and inlays completed, It's time to move on to final finish. Switching to the barrel, I decided on LMF rust browning for the finish. I stripped off the cold blueing and after a little finish sanding., I used about 8 coats of browning solution to achieve the rich dark brown finish I wanted on the barrel. I used the stock brass pipes and the rear sight but replaced the front sight with a larger and thicker one (old eyes). I sanded the entire stock with 240 grit sandpaper and after I was satisfied with the surfaces, I removed the buttplate, triggerguard, patchbox and end cap for buffing and polishing. The stock finish is one coat of water based Mahogany and about 8- 10 coats of hand rubbed Tru oil. I'll add some comments on the finished pictures but please feel free to ask any questions regarding the build. Thank you all that commented on the rebuild and especially the kind words. 
One angle of the browned barrel. For some reason I took no pictures of the barrel refinish.

Different angle of the barrel. I also made a new hickory ramrod.

This would be a good picture to compare with the 2nd of the before pictures.

This one shows how much the cheek height was reduced and the redefined lock bolt panel. 

Cheek side  angle.

Patchbox side angle.

Barrel tenon wings.

Another patchbox side angle.

Full side view.

Last edited by RhinoDave on April 15th 2018, 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mike in Oz

Male Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2017-09-22

PostSubject: Re: TC Hawken old kit rebuild and refinish   February 6th 2018, 3:24 am

Outstanding job, well done mate! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokin' Joe

PostSubject: Re: TC Hawken old kit rebuild and refinish   February 6th 2018, 5:21 am

Well done.  It’s so nice I won’t dare show my rifle builds. 👍

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 9956
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: TC Hawken old kit rebuild and refinish   February 6th 2018, 8:02 am

Impressive work.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hylander

Male Number of posts : 152
Registration date : 2017-11-07

PostSubject: Re: TC Hawken old kit rebuild and refinish   February 6th 2018, 10:45 am

That is Awesome
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rebs

Male Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2017-02-24

PostSubject: Re: TC Hawken old kit rebuild and refinish   February 7th 2018, 6:09 am

beautiful work, congrats on your workmanship.
what did you use for a finish on the stock ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RhinoDave

PostSubject: Re: TC Hawken old kit rebuild and refinish   February 7th 2018, 6:54 pm

@rebs wrote:
what did you use for a finish on the stock ?
one coat of water based mahogany stain and several coats of Tru Oil.

heelerau

Male Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2018-02-08

PostSubject: Re: TC Hawken old kit rebuild and refinish   February 15th 2018, 3:49 pm

Nice job, like the way you have reshaped the lock panels, generally got rid of the factory clunkiness.  Really neat inlays. The finish looks like varnish, but that I think is the limitation of photographs. as you have oil finished her. I have never used turmoil so don't know what it finishes like. 
   A really good job of tricking up a factory rifle. Might you consider going to a fixed rear sight? Ver much like the sling mounts, I purchased a set of j hook sling swivels and webbing a leather sling for my classic English hunting rifle. These J hook sling swivels are like the proverbial rocking hoss poo. Well priced though from Dixie Gun Works. 

cheers 

Gordon

RhinoDave

PostSubject: Re: TC Hawken old kit rebuild and refinish   February 16th 2018, 10:33 am

The finish ended up very shiny when I took the pictures because I left the last coat of Tru-oil without knocking it back. I have long since toned it down to a softer sheen. Still like the brass shiny though so I polish it once in a while. I'd probably use a little fowling to dull up the brass if I was ever to use it hunting again but that's more of a pipe dream now.

Hanshi

Male Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2015-01-21

PostSubject: Re: TC Hawken old kit rebuild and refinish   February 17th 2018, 12:57 pm

WOW!  Talk about turning a sow's ear into a silk purse!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.martialartsusa.com
Roaddog

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2016-10-19

PostSubject: Re: TC Hawken old kit rebuild and refinish   February 18th 2018, 7:07 am

WOW what a slick job.I could look at you work all day long.Thanks for sharing :rtup
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eagle223usa

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2016-04-27

PostSubject: Re: TC Hawken old kit rebuild and refinish   March 28th 2018, 2:49 pm

Sorry for the late reply, but I just have to say, Wow! Great job! I am in the middle of fixing up 2 old T/C's. One was a bad kit with the stock destroyed, the other is a .54 cap I'm building from scrounged T/C and Hawken shop parts and a Petonica maple stock. I hope mine turn out half as good as this beauty did. Thanks for posting this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: TC Hawken old kit rebuild and refinish   

Back to top Go down

TC Hawken old kit rebuild and refinish
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Gun Builders & Gun Smithing Corner-
Jump to: