Ads

Share | 

shareing my load for my 45 long colt revolvers

Go down 
AuthorMessage
strong eagle

Number of posts : 500
Registration date : 2016-10-11

PostSubject: shareing my load for my 45 long colt revolvers   February 4th 2018, 12:39 pm

8.2 grains of trailboss   a 1/8 inch thick wad cut from cork rubber gasket material i bought from the auto parts store. if they only have 1/16th thick, then two wads. a .457 round ball rolled in lee alox and let dry. tap into the case and then roll crimp over the end of the ball in your crimping die. this load is snappy, clean and very very accurate. very little recoil at all. i have tried all sizes in weight of bullets and this load is the most accurate and fun to shoot. i have not run them through the cronograph yet but they dont poke along. i would not be afraid to use in a carry 45 long colt. when you use the 457 round balls they resize when you size and crimp the case at the same time. the light weight of the round ball and its really short bearing surface allows the use of 8.2 grains of trailboss which you would not use if you were shooting a 250 grain bullet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador

Number of posts : 5836
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: shareing my load for my 45 long colt revolvers   February 4th 2018, 1:53 pm

If it's OK with Strong Eagle, I have a hunting load for .45 Long Colt.

If you have a Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt, here's my hunting load that is very accurate. 

Hornady .452 250 gr. HP-XTP bullet with 20.0 gr. of 2400 with a CCI 350 magnum pistol primer. 

Do Not use this load in a Colt pistol!

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
strong eagle

PostSubject: Re: shareing my load for my 45 long colt revolvers   February 4th 2018, 4:48 pm

thanks for your info, lots of rugers out their and bet you gave some good info to those guys. all mine are uberti colts and open tops except for one. i cannot tell you why but i like the open tops and the conversions. for my small hands they fit perfectly. ive learned to tune them to the max and they are accurate. keep the pictures coming. ive heard people say the hogs are heading in our direction, probably too much open country for them here. i bet that meat grilled is the best.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador

Number of posts : 5836
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: shareing my load for my 45 long colt revolvers   February 4th 2018, 4:56 pm

" ive heard people say the hogs are heading in our direction, probably too much open country for them here. i bet that meat grilled is the best."

You had better pray that they don't get there. They compete with deer for natural foods and destroy riverine habitat.

I've killed a couple dozen hogs here but only one was fat enough to eat good. I have the others made into sausage unless they are stinky boars. I leave those where they go down.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
strong eagle

PostSubject: Re: shareing my load for my 45 long colt revolvers   February 4th 2018, 6:47 pm

i know they are in south eastern nebraska, they could work their way over here through the bottom land. i bet a old boar does stink.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hanshi

Male Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2015-01-21

PostSubject: Re: shareing my load for my 45 long colt revolvers   May 24th 2018, 12:10 pm

I just had to resurrect this thread as I love the .45 Colt cartridge.  I've owned several SAA revolvers but let them all go.  I kept my two OM BlackHawks and use only one load for everything, even squirrels.  The load is 18 grains of 2400 topped by a 260 grain swc from a Lyman mold - a 245 grain rnswc from a Saeco mold can substitute.  This load gives 1065 fps from the 4.5" barrel and 1260 fps from the 7.5" barrel.  Stupendously accurate, this has been my load for around 42 years.  Interestingly, it simply punches a small hole through a squirrel with body shots and removes the head on, well....

Top, a spy.  My two cherished Rugers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.martialartsusa.com
Hanshi

Male Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2015-01-21

PostSubject: Re: shareing my load for my 45 long colt revolvers   May 24th 2018, 12:15 pm

Almost forgot.  Bottom rifle is a .45Colt.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.martialartsusa.com
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 2372
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: shareing my load for my 45 long colt revolvers   May 26th 2018, 7:07 am

@patocazador wrote:
If you have a Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt, here's my hunting load that is very accurate. 

Hornady .452 250 gr. HP-XTP bullet with 20.0 gr. of 2400 with a CCI 350 magnum pistol primer. 

Do Not use this load in a Colt pistol!

Good point, Colts are not as strong as Rugers. We would see Colt revolvers come into the Gun Library for trade or sale, first thing was look them over for timing, cylinder alignment and signs of having been shot using heavy loads.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: shareing my load for my 45 long colt revolvers   

Back to top Go down

shareing my load for my 45 long colt revolvers
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Modern Shooting :: Ammo & Reloading Bench-
Jump to: