Share | 

paper patching

Go down 
AuthorMessage
singletree45

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2015-01-01

PostSubject: paper patching   February 6th 2018, 8:24 am

Anybody on this forum do paper patching? I've been patching for my Sharps 45-100 and 45-120 for a few years now and had very good results. Would like to hear from those that have tried it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
strong eagle

Number of posts : 455
Registration date : 2016-10-11

PostSubject: Re: paper patching   February 6th 2018, 2:17 pm

i'll message you my phone number and we can talk. im heavy into it and have been teaching it for several years now to shooter all over the USA. i paperpatch my fast twist muzzleloaders as well as my 2, 45/70s.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 9958
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: paper patching   February 6th 2018, 2:25 pm

@strong eagle wrote:
i'll message you my phone number and we can talk. im heavy into it and have been teaching it for several years now to shooter all over the USA. i paperpatch my fast twist muzzleloaders as well as my 2, 45/70s.
How and why do you paper patch a cartridge round?

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
strong eagle

Number of posts : 455
Registration date : 2016-10-11

PostSubject: Re: paper patching   February 6th 2018, 4:18 pm

a paperpatch acts as a jacket and it comes off at the muzzle. no need for lube, no leading and very very accurate. most of the buffalo were shot with paperpatched bullets. besides that, your bore doesnt wear out, just gets more and more slick and shiny. its nothing new. the north and and the south had former target shooter that shot paperpatched muzzle loader as snipers during that war. one southern paperpatch shooter took out a union general at one mile. the north had a few guys that shot paperpatch and the southern boys could not go near their cannons at a 1/2 mile because if they tried they died. to join berdans sharshooter you had to bring your own paperpatched muzzleloader and off hand put ten rounds in a small circle off hand. i could go on and on, it is nothing new and a very very good way to shoot a black powder cartridge rifle as well as a fast twist mizzleloader. thanks for asking.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: paper patching   February 6th 2018, 4:25 pm

I understand about paper patching, but I thought it was just done with muzzleloaders?

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: paper patching   February 6th 2018, 4:30 pm

Ok, I just watched a video on loading a 45/70 paper patched. It's a new one on me. Every time I heard paper patched I assumed it was in a muzzleloader. Live and learn.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
singletree45

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2015-01-01

PostSubject: Re: paper patching   February 6th 2018, 5:13 pm

Some of the "Old Timers" shot muzzle loader records that have yet to be broken at long ranges of 600 plus. There is a book on paper patching called The Paper Jacket by Paul Mathews that I refer back to quite often. He explains paper patching very well with a lot of extras mixed in. He has a whole series of books on BPCR and casting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: paper patching   

Back to top Go down

paper patching
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Modern Shooting :: Ammo & Reloading Bench-
Jump to: