Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

paper patching

Go down 
AuthorMessage
singletree45

singletree45

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2015-01-01

paper patching Empty
PostSubject: paper patching   paper patching EmptyFebruary 6th 2018, 8:24 am

Anybody on this forum do paper patching? I've been patching for my Sharps 45-100 and 45-120 for a few years now and had very good results. Would like to hear from those that have tried it.
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 10258
Registration date : 2010-09-23

paper patching Empty
PostSubject: Re: paper patching   paper patching EmptyFebruary 6th 2018, 2:25 pm

@strong eagle wrote:
i'll message you my phone number and we can talk. im heavy into it and have been teaching it for several years now to shooter all over the USA. i paperpatch my fast twist muzzleloaders as well as my 2, 45/70s.
How and why do you paper patch a cartridge round?

I'm addicted to black powder.
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

paper patching Empty
PostSubject: Re: paper patching   paper patching EmptyFebruary 6th 2018, 4:25 pm

I understand about paper patching, but I thought it was just done with muzzleloaders?

Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

paper patching Empty
PostSubject: Re: paper patching   paper patching EmptyFebruary 6th 2018, 4:30 pm

Ok, I just watched a video on loading a 45/70 paper patched. It's a new one on me. Every time I heard paper patched I assumed it was in a muzzleloader. Live and learn.

Back to top Go down
singletree45

singletree45

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2015-01-01

paper patching Empty
PostSubject: Re: paper patching   paper patching EmptyFebruary 6th 2018, 5:13 pm

Some of the "Old Timers" shot muzzle loader records that have yet to be broken at long ranges of 600 plus. There is a book on paper patching called The Paper Jacket by Paul Mathews that I refer back to quite often. He explains paper patching very well with a lot of extras mixed in. He has a whole series of books on BPCR and casting.
Back to top Go down
bronko22000

Male Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2016-03-22

paper patching Empty
PostSubject: Re: paper patching   paper patching EmptyMay 22nd 2019, 10:11 am

I've found that that the most accurate load to date for my Pedersoli Sharps 1874 is a 405 gr .458 bullet sized down to .451" and paper patched dry.  I'm going to be trying some 500 gr shortly. I tried them bare befor because running a 500 gr .458" bullet into a .451" sizing die is tough.  I have a .454" sizing die on the way so I will be able to do it in 2 steps.
One other thing I think will help is running the bullet into the die butt end first.
Back to top Go down
heelerau

heelerau

Male Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2018-02-08

paper patching Empty
PostSubject: Re: paper patching   paper patching EmptyMay 23rd 2019, 5:39 pm

I shoot a paper patched Pritchett bullet from my Parker Hale Navy Rifle. I in fact make up the whole cartridge. The beauty of these rounds is they do not foul like the minnie bullet does after only 15 or 16 shots. Puts a lovely shine on the bore as well. I will be trying paper patched bullets in my Parker Hale First Generation .451 Volunteer long range rifle. Re the cartridges, I have shot up to 40 round without having to wipe, the last shot loading as easily as the first. The only reason for 40 rounds is that was all I had at the time.

paper patching
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Modern Shooting :: Ammo & Reloading Bench-
Jump to: