HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

The Cloning Crayfish-A New Invasive Species

Go down 
AuthorMessage
falcon

Male Number of posts : 1384
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: The Cloning Crayfish-A New Invasive Species   February 13th 2018, 11:01 am

The marbled crayfish mutated about 25 years ago and is now able to clone itself.  All the crayfish are females that lay fertilized eggs. 

What a deal for crawdad eaters.  

Quote :
Scientists quickly realized the marbled crayfish were not just in German aquariums. The self-replicating creatures were out in the wild, and they were aggressive invaders. “Every single one has the ability to reproduce. Every single one could start a new population,” says Zen Faulkes, a crustacean researcher at the University of Texas at Rio Grande Valley who keeps a map of marbled crayfish invasions. You can easily buy marbled crayfish online (though they are now banned in the European Union and some U.S. states). The species has shown up in the wild in Germany, Italy, Slovakia, Sweden, Japan, and Madagascar. “We’re being invaded by an army of clones,” says Faulkes.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2018/02/attack-of-the-crayfish-clones/552236/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldMtnMan
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9806
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: The Cloning Crayfish-A New Invasive Species   February 13th 2018, 11:03 am

When humans can do that we're screwed!

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5589
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: The Cloning Crayfish-A New Invasive Species   February 13th 2018, 11:40 am

@falcon wrote:
The marbled crayfish mutated about 25 years ago and is now able to clone itself.  All the crayfish are females that lay fertilized eggs. 

What a deal for crawdad eaters.  

Quote :
Scientists quickly realized the marbled crayfish were not just in German aquariums. The self-replicating creatures were out in the wild, and they were aggressive invaders. “Every single one has the ability to reproduce. Every single one could start a new population,” says Zen Faulkes, a crustacean researcher at the University of Texas at Rio Grande Valley who keeps a map of marbled crayfish invasions. You can easily buy marbled crayfish online (though they are now banned in the European Union and some U.S. states). The species has shown up in the wild in Germany, Italy, Slovakia, Sweden, Japan, and Madagascar. “We’re being invaded by an army of clones,” says Faulkes.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2018/02/attack-of-the-crayfish-clones/552236/

Great news. I love crawfish. 

The Alabama Crawfish Festival is held annually in April about 35 miles west of my old hunt club. It was a great time and they had the best crawfish pie that I ever ate.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
strong eagle

Number of posts : 272
Registration date : 2016-10-11

PostSubject: Re: The Cloning Crayfish-A New Invasive Species   February 13th 2018, 4:46 pm

this may be good. the highest fish populations are where the most crayfish are.  a local large nebraska lake with irrigation canals is stocked with rainbow trout each spring.  in one year they are huge, in 2 years they are monsters, all because of the huge crayfish population in the lake and irrigation canals. im not sad to hear about this. crayfish make fish huge and alive in large numbers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonC
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 961
Registration date : 2013-09-09

PostSubject: Re: The Cloning Crayfish-A New Invasive Species   February 17th 2018, 11:55 am

The species did not exist until about 25 years ago. The research group did DNA sequencing of the new clone crayfish and compared it to 15 other common crayfish. They traced the ability to clone to a single gene mutation. The mutation immediately differentiated it from the slough crayfish found in Georgia and Florida. The single mutation instantly created a new species that couldn't interbreed with the original species. Male slough crayfish try to mate with the new, marbled crayfish, but fail.
Ron

strong eagle

PostSubject: Re: The Cloning Crayfish-A New Invasive Species   February 17th 2018, 3:32 pm

are they spreading to other parts of the country? if their is a down side to this, please point it out. again the reason we have such huge rainbow trout here in ne. is the high crayfish population. bait availability is why some lakes and rivers have such good fish in them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonC
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: The Cloning Crayfish-A New Invasive Species   February 17th 2018, 5:01 pm

A big problem is that these marble crayfish are displacing the native crayfish.
According to an article in Biocontrol: "The impacts of invasive alien crustaceans (IAC) are substantial, due to the complex trophic role of most of these species leading to cascading effects throughout the invaded ecosystems. IAC also have the potential to cause a shift in the ‘keystone’ ecosystem functions, changing energy flux and nutrient cycles which together affect critical ecosystem services such as biodiversity, fisheries yield and water quality." In other words, the marbled crayfish could directly impact other crustaceans and the effect cascades up the food chain.
My WAG (wild-a$$ed-guess) is that they may be too big for some fish species who depend on the smaller, native populations.
I can see a new movie coming out: "The attack of the giant crayfish." George Clooney is slowly eaten by a mob of voracious crayfish. Leonardo DiCaprio and Mark Wahlberg play characters who fight off the attacking crustaceans. Uma Thurman plays the leading woman role, a temperamental person who is envious of the crayfish's ability to clone itself. She goes back to college to learn molecular genetics so that she can clone herself by the hundreds.
Ron

Ron

strong eagle

PostSubject: Re: The Cloning Crayfish-A New Invasive Species   February 17th 2018, 7:04 pm

5 years ago i was on vacation in northern minn. the family in the cabin next to us was from one of the large great lakes. he was a machinest during the week but on the week ends he worked on a large boat that took people out to fish the great lakes. i said to him, why do you come here, and he said because it is different. thats not the point of the story. the boat he worked on fished lake trout. he said since the zebra mussel covered the bottom of the lake they fished on the water is alot cleaner and much more clear. he said the only impact it has had on lake trout fishing is they have to fish alot deeper for them. he said lake trout live at a depth that allows them with their kind of eyes see the best. when the water got clearer from the zebra mussles they had to go deeper for just the right light in the water. he said the zebra mussles filter the whole lake in less than a week. im sure they have done bad things but they sure made the great lakes a lot cleaner. i found it very interesting. always some bad and then also some good. now i under stand their is another kind of mussel in the great lakes. most likely the great lakes will get even cleaner for the filtration of them also. in nebraska they have a hybrid fish crossed between a white bass and a striped bass. they are called wipers. they are huge like a fish from the salt water. they would eat those big crayfish with gusto. you need salt water rods and reels to fish those things.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonC
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: The Cloning Crayfish-A New Invasive Species   February 17th 2018, 8:33 pm

I've seen papers on the positive effects of invasive species like the zebra mussel and the Asiatic clam. The Asiatic clam filtered the volume of a 10 mile stretch of the Potomac River in 3 days. They singlehandedly removed huge algae blooms from the river. That was good.

The problem is that the now clear water permitted the aquatic vegetation (Hydrilla) that roots in the sediment and grows to the surface, to grow extensively. They clogged the marinas and boats could not go in or out. They collected on the intake screens of the electric power plants. The Asiatic clams joined the Hydrilla to clog the intakes of the power plants and cost millions to remove.

The Corps of Engineers came in and started to harvest and chop up the "Killa Hydrilla" to get rid of it (against our advice). Each piece of Hydrilla gave rise to a complete, new Hydrilla and it spread even faster. It was like Mickey Mouse's broom in the movie Fantasia. Chopped into pieces, each sliver gave rise to a new broom.

The point is that the chain of events, positive or negative, is difficult or impossible to predict with these invasive species.

Reference:
Cohen, R.R.H., et al., 1984,  The effect of the Asiatic clam, Corbicula fluminea on phytoplankton of the Potomac River, Maryland:  Limnology and Oceanogra­phy 29(1): 170‑ 180.

strong eagle

PostSubject: Re: The Cloning Crayfish-A New Invasive Species   February 18th 2018, 7:32 am

i dont mind some things to come in and take hold and become part of the our land. one is the zander. it is a walleye fish that get bigger than the wall eye and goes to darker lower oxygen waters that the walleye does. it would not compete with the wall eye. they tried it in n.dak years ago in a small lake. now and then the kids catch a monster one their. they taste the same a walleye which is very very good. also european perch which is the same as our perch but gets bigger. 15 inchers is common. ive caught a 15 inch american perch and it was fun and tasted really good. even better than walleye. i think these two would be a good addition to the lakes and rivers in america. ive heard that the mussels really can clean up a water way they are in. the great lakes are a lot cleaner because of them. those european cat fish that get 8 ft long would really make good fishing on the big rivers of the USA. i used live by the best cat fishing river in the USA. we never even knew it and never fished them. it has been recently discovered for the huge catfish in it. the red river of the north. huge catfish in it and lots of them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: The Cloning Crayfish-A New Invasive Species   February 18th 2018, 8:35 am

Ron, if the mutation in the crawfish occurred naturally rather than in a lab, they shouldn't really do anything about it if it occurs naturally in North America. That would be like killing all red-headed people because they didn't exist until a mutation naturally occurred.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonC
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: The Cloning Crayfish-A New Invasive Species   February 18th 2018, 9:40 am

Bob, the mutation may have occurred in German Hobbyist's aquariums. "It is a parthenogenetic crayfish that was discovered in the pet trade in Germany in the 1990s." Prior to the appearance in captivity, no asexually reproducing crayfish were found in the wild. "It is suspected to have been created through a reproductive accident in an aquarium around 1995. A new analysis of the crustacean’s genome supports this unlikely origin."

The hobbyists started sharing the eggs and progeny of the crayfish among each other. The females (there are no males) produce eggs so fast that the hobbyists discarded them in local water ways.

“They eat anything—rotten leaves, snails or fish broods, small fish, small insects," says Frank Lyko, a molecular geneticist at the German Cancer Research Center in Heidelberg. “This crayfish is a serious pest,” adds Gerhard Scholtz, an evolutionary biologist at Humboldt University in Berlin, who has tracked its rapid spread across the globe, including Madagascar, where its success threatens the existence of the seven crayfish native to that island country. The European Union banned the species: It must not be sold, kept, distributed, or released to the wild.

It has invaded and taken over water bodies in: Croatia, Czech Republic, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Japan, Madagascar, Netherlands, Romania,  Slovakia, Sweden, Ukraine.

Attack of the Crayfish Monster:

Ron

patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: The Cloning Crayfish-A New Invasive Species   February 18th 2018, 1:21 pm

Cajuns will love them and if I can find a good crawfish boil spice pack, so will I.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonC
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: The Cloning Crayfish-A New Invasive Species   February 18th 2018, 1:28 pm

In SE Asia, they fry up the Asiatic clam and serve them like popcorn at the movie houses. With shell, they are only thumbnail sized. Prepared like that, they are pretty tasty, but you have to eat a load of them to fill up.
I must say that having crayfish the size of the marble ones would be very nice. The usual little ones are barely worth fussing with.
Ron

oneshot 1

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2012-04-23

PostSubject: Re: The Cloning Crayfish-A New Invasive Species   February 19th 2018, 1:09 pm

I'll take care of them.

oneshot
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Cloning Crayfish-A New Invasive Species   

Back to top Go down

The Cloning Crayfish-A New Invasive Species
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Off Topic-Free for All :: Off Topic-Free for All-
Jump to: