Share | 

Anyone here like the 6.5x55 swede?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
skoger

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2015-09-30

PostSubject: Anyone here like the 6.5x55 swede?   February 15th 2018, 1:59 pm

I am† a long time fan of the 6.5x55, rifle and cartridge! I built my current sporter on a 96 Carl Gustaf, unissued that I got back in 1985, when I ran a gunshop/gunsmithing business. I checked the headspace, turned down the barrel from a stepped to contoured† profile, drilled and tapped the receiver, added redfield bases and rings, a Timney featherweight deluxe trigger with side safety, and glass bedded it in a fiberglass stock. I also put a Amerlene grey phosphate military Parkerizing on all the metal parts.† I also cut and crowned the barrel at 24, ", from the 29" original length. I topped it off with a Burris 4x12x40, that it still wears to this day. I did load development over 3 Iyears and finally settled on one powder , IMR 3031, for all the loads I shoot in it, including 85 Sierra HP, 120 Sierra SP, 140SP, and Hornady 160 gr roundnose.† All the loads shot under 1/2" groups at 100yds, some loads way under!
I have used the 120 SP for deer hunting here in KY and abroad, for the last 25 years, with most deer dropping in their tracks, with most shots being under 250yds , while routinely potting woodchucks out to 350-400 yds with the 85 HP, running at nearly 3300fps. Even though I had other varmint rifles, I hunted with this gun nearly exclusively for several years running, on crows, chucks, deer and coyotes, all with deadly effect. I only shot 3 deer of the 46+ more than once, two who were dead on their feet but about to stumble over a bluff which would have been a pain to get the out, and one buck who had just gotten his butt whooped, came running by, and I put 3 rounds in a neat row in him behind the shoulders thru the ribs/lungs , he was just hyped up on adrenaline and did not know he was shot dead, slowed down with each shot! Looking in my record book, I took over 725 chucks, 300 crows,47 deer and nearly 95 coyotes with this rifle alone, very few misses with this gun, partially due to me being intimately aware of the drop on the 2 main loads I shot with, and carrying the gun every day, for ears on end, till it became an† extension of myelf. I have some original 96,'s put back along with some sporters built on modern actions that I run a little hot. Just thought I would share, see if anyone else felt the same way I do about this grand old round!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokin' Joe

Male Number of posts : 1991
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here like the 6.5x55 swede?   February 15th 2018, 3:08 pm

I thought long and hard about getting the 6.5x55 Swede but ended up getting .308. †I've shot the 6.5x55 plenty in my youth. †My dad didn't have much money for new rifles so he was always wheeling and dealing on military rifles. He would refinish them and give them to the 3 sons as they became old enough to deer hunt. †He always carried an 8mm Mauser himself.

The 6.5X55 was a great rifle for young shooters because of the lower recoil but could still get the job done on deer, no problem.

Semper FiÖÖ..

Pennsylvania Fowler Flintlock .62 Cal (46" Oct to round barrel)
Isaac Haines .54 cal. (38" swamped, 1:66 twist barrel). Build in progress
Investarm Hawken .54 cal. Percussion
CVA Accura MR nitride .50 cal. - 2-8x32 Nikon Monarch 3
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonC
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1006
Registration date : 2013-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here like the 6.5x55 swede?   February 16th 2018, 1:21 pm

I have two particularly accurate military rifles: a 1908 Swedish M96 Carl Gustaf in 6.5 x 55 and a 1937 Swiss K31 in 7.5 x 55. The K31 is really a carbine and the M96 has the advantage.
The M96 started out as standard military Model 96 Mauser and was upgraded for target shooting with changes critical to accurize a rifle. They were set up by military armorers or FSR certified gunsmiths. The FSR, or Volunteer Shooter's Association in Sweden is somewhat like the NRA here in the United States.
It had additional trigger work and bedding and an Elit diopter rear, front peep insert sight. It can really shoot!
With the low recoil of the 6.5 x 55 and the diopter sights, sub-minutes-of-arc at 100 yds are no problem. The person behind the sights, me, is the only limit to the accuracy.

I have several boxes of military 6.5 x 55 that shoots well. They are Berdan primed so they are not candidates for reloading, at leeast not easily.
Yup, I like the 6.5 x 55.
Ron

Outside of a Dog, a Book is Manís Best Friend. Inside of a Dog, Itís Too Dark to Read. Groucho Marx (or possibly someone earlier)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 2136
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here like the 6.5x55 swede?   February 24th 2018, 6:28 pm

Look at how popular the 6.5 Creedmoor has become in the last few years, actuate and low recoil at long distance.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here like the 6.5x55 swede?   

Back to top Go down

Anyone here like the 6.5x55 swede?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Modern Shooting :: Modern Shooters-
Jump to: