Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Ads

Share | 

SHOOTING AIDS

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Grago

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2015-09-13

PostSubject: SHOOTING AIDS   February 21st 2018, 3:57 pm

I have been using just old homemade sand bags for over 40 years  im needing to replace the ones i have now  have been thinking about upgrading to something   need some suggestions  which are better     the lead sled  or the rock front rest  or maybe the caldwell  tack driver  which is just a better version of a sand bag  from what i can gather    just wondered what you guys recommend as been the best
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador

Number of posts : 5862
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: SHOOTING AIDS   February 21st 2018, 4:42 pm

I've been using this setup for ~25 years. I need a new rear bag though as the stitches are coming out.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 3432
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: SHOOTING AIDS   February 22nd 2018, 6:22 am

X2.  I have the same setup below...stationary tripod in the front and a small rear bag where all the aim adjustment is done.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Grago

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2015-09-13

PostSubject: Re: SHOOTING AIDS   February 22nd 2018, 9:01 am

i was looking at that  just needed someone else opinion on that type  thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 2456
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: SHOOTING AIDS   February 22nd 2018, 3:13 pm

I have been using a 30 caliber military ammo can with a 2x4 "t" mounted on the hinge end sticking up high enough for the angle needed. On the top of the "t" I use a leather bag like sold at Cabelas or Amazon and other stores.

The best part is its cheap and you have storage in the ammo can for your range supplies all in one place. Some must like the idea as I have lost (lifted when not watching) several over a 50 years period.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
muzzle-loader

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2014-05-01

PostSubject: Re: SHOOTING AIDS   March 14th 2018, 1:07 pm

https://ochocos.com/catalog/product/view/id/6741/s/lyman-match-bag-bag-jack-combo-set-7837815/

The Lyman Match Bag with Jack is something new that came out last year that we have been really happy with. Jonathan has recently been shooting off one and I know that he has liked it so far as well. I like the fine adjustment in elevation and the bag can be used off a standard table as well. Generally, I shoot without a rear bag. 

Also, I have used a lead sled extensively and like it when I'm going to put a lot of lead down range, but not as much when I'm preparing for hunting season. It's great for load development though!

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.muzzle-loaders.com
Old No7

Male Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2018-02-20

PostSubject: Re: SHOOTING AIDS   March 14th 2018, 7:00 pm

Just be careful if you get a Lead Sled...

I've seen 2 heavy-recoiling rifles split their stocks when the shooter (who was recoil shy*) put WAY TOO MUCH lead on the sled and there was no "give" at all...  So you know what gave out??  The stocks!

... *When asked why they didn't change to a smaller caliber they were more comfortable shooting, it was quite clear they were enamored more with the "blast and the name" than actually trying to shoot them very well... That, or they were making up for some deficiency in their manhood department...

Anyway, those were centerfires -- can I even say that here? -- but the caution still applies.

Tight groups.

Old No7

Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 2456
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: SHOOTING AIDS   March 20th 2018, 8:16 am

@Old No7 wrote:
Just be careful if you get a Lead Sled...

I've seen 2 heavy-recoiling rifles split their stocks when the shooter (who was recoil shy*) put WAY TOO MUCH lead on the sled and there was no "give" at all...  So you know what gave out??  The stocks!..............

Old No7

Not a problem with muzzleloaders unless its one of Doc White's in-lines built for African game. They'll wake you up with a few shots.  headslap

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
Smokin' Joe

Male Number of posts : 2000
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: SHOOTING AIDS   March 20th 2018, 10:32 am

Both my brother and I use a Lead Sled with 50 pounds of lead on it.  It still moves with the shot. I've never have had any problems.  When you're shooting lots of rounds with heavy loads my shoulder absolutely loves the Lead Sled.  It's also great tool when sighting in rifles.  

It might not be the right shooting aid for everyone but I sure like it.

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SHOOTING AIDS   

Back to top Go down

SHOOTING AIDS
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: