Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Cleaning the Pedersoli .45 Navy Moll Flintlock Pistol

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Case Hardened

Case Hardened

Male Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2018-02-24

Cleaning the Pedersoli .45 Navy Moll Flintlock Pistol Empty
PostSubject: Cleaning the Pedersoli .45 Navy Moll Flintlock Pistol   Cleaning the Pedersoli .45 Navy Moll Flintlock Pistol EmptyFebruary 24th 2018, 11:36 am

I purchased a used Pedersoli Navy Moll Flintlock recently, locally. I paid a bit over $400, and am pleased in both saving $$$ and in getting a Used Firearm.

Although everyone loves NEW, I am reluctant to fire a new gun. It devalues them so much ! (yeah, a bit silly, I suppose)

Other than considerable wear to the face of the Frizzen (18), it appears as new.

I've not fired it yet, myself, and wish to be fully informed before I do.

This is my first Flintlock, and I initially did not realize I needed to remove the Barrel (30) and Vent Insert (34) to clean this properly.

I acquired some GRACE Screwdrivers, identified the ones that fit perfectly (G3, H2, N2), and removed the Barrel and Vent Insert with no issue.

But I was surprised to see the full Barrel does not extend thru to the Vent Insert, but stops just forward of it. Leaving a much smaller hole that does extend to the Vent Insert.

Cleaning the Pedersoli .45 Navy Moll Flintlock Pistol C5E4iZh

How can I clean this small area properly ?

Should I, can I remove the Breech Plug (04) ?

Is it necessary to do even further disassembly ?

I also noticed the Stock (5), in the normally hidden area that the Barrel fits into, is unfinished.

Should I Wax it ? Shellac it ? Leave it Raw ?

And as an observation, which others have made, the Fore End Cap Screw (28) is really tiny. I suppose Pedersoli knows more than me, but its diminutive size is not reassuring.
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3351
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning the Pedersoli .45 Navy Moll Flintlock Pistol   Cleaning the Pedersoli .45 Navy Moll Flintlock Pistol EmptyMarch 3rd 2018, 5:34 pm

Shellac it ?

Back to top Go down
Case Hardened

Case Hardened

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning the Pedersoli .45 Navy Moll Flintlock Pistol   Cleaning the Pedersoli .45 Navy Moll Flintlock Pistol EmptyMarch 3rd 2018, 8:19 pm

@Buck Conner wrote:
Shellac it ?

Yeah, that's my thought as well.

Shellac is very traditional, and is easy to touch up or recoat.

Ultimately easy to tone down or remove as well.

It does not provide Polyurethane-Level protection, but that's not I'm looking for anyways.
Back to top Go down
patocazador

patocazador

Number of posts : 5853
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning the Pedersoli .45 Navy Moll Flintlock Pistol   Cleaning the Pedersoli .45 Navy Moll Flintlock Pistol EmptyMarch 4th 2018, 9:11 am

@Case Hardened wrote:
This is my first Flintlock, and I initially did not realize I needed to remove the Barrel (30) and Vent Insert (34) to clean this properly.
But I was surprised to see the full Barrel does not extend thru to the Vent Insert, but stops just forward of it. Leaving a much smaller hole that does extend to the Vent Insert.

I also noticed the Stock (5), in the normally hidden area that the Barrel fits into, is unfinished.

" I initially did not realize I needed to remove the Barrel (30) and Vent Insert (34) to clean this properly."

You don't have to remove the barrel and vent every time to clean it. Plug the vent with a round toothpick and carefully flush the barrel with warm, soapy water. Try to avoid getting water under the barrel into the stock area. 
Since you have it disassembled, coat the inside of the stock with oil or wax or shellac it as you mentioned to protect it during future cleanings.
Driving the pins out at each cleaning will eventually cause loosening of the barrel or fractures in the wood.

The soapy water should get to this area. I would be more worried about drying it after cleaning. 91% isopropyl alcohol will absorb the water and help to evaporate it.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
Case Hardened

Case Hardened

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning the Pedersoli .45 Navy Moll Flintlock Pistol   Cleaning the Pedersoli .45 Navy Moll Flintlock Pistol EmptyMarch 4th 2018, 9:37 am

@patocazador wrote:
@Case Hardened wrote:

" I initially did not realize I needed to remove the Barrel (30) and Vent Insert (34) to clean this properly."

You don't have to remove the barrel and vent every time to clean it. Plug the vent with a round toothpick and carefully flush the barrel with warm, soapy water. Try to avoid getting water under the barrel into the stock area. 
Since you have it disassembled, coat the inside of the stock with oil or wax or shellac it as you mentioned to protect it during future cleanings.
Driving the pins out at each cleaning will eventually cause loosening of the barrel or fractures in the wood.

The soapy water should get to this area. I would be more worried about drying it after cleaning. 91% isopropyl alcohol will absorb the water and help to evaporate it.

All good advice.

The Pedersoli Navy Moll has no removable pins or wedges, tho. Just two screws - a nice substantial one by the Breech, and a wimpy, scary one at the Muzzle. Both enter a threaded hole in the Barrel - no wood screws. Grace N2, H2, and G3 fit very well.

At first I was going to buy some pre-mixed Shellac at Home Depot. Then thought better of it, as in "Why am I buying this amateur crap ?"

So I did some research, and bought 1/2 lb of Kusmi Amber Buttons on eBay for $20. Unlike the pre-mixed Shellac, stored properly, it lasts forever.

Now I need alcohol. Rather than the nasty, poisonous Denatured Alcohol, I'm buying a 750ml Bottle of 190 Proof EVERCLEAR - $15. If I don't use it up with shellac, I can drink it !

But I do anticipate an issue with Shellac. It actually is used as an ADHESIVE in some applications ! I need to remove the Barrel, so I must be cautious I don't inadvertently glue it in.

I'm going to apply several very light coats. Not enough to build any shine; just enough to seal the raw grain. For all I know Pedersoli has done this already, but I am assuming they have not.

When dry, I am applying heavy Carnauba Wax to the trough.

Then I expect to be in good shape.
Back to top Go down
patocazador

patocazador

Number of posts : 5853
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning the Pedersoli .45 Navy Moll Flintlock Pistol   Cleaning the Pedersoli .45 Navy Moll Flintlock Pistol EmptyMarch 4th 2018, 9:52 am

"The Pedersoli Navy Moll has no removable pins or wedges, tho. Just two screws - a nice substantial one by the Breech, and a wimpy, scary one at the Muzzle. Both enter a threaded hole in the Barrel - no wood screws."

In the exploded drawing above, aren't # 47 & 48 pins?

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
Case Hardened

Case Hardened

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning the Pedersoli .45 Navy Moll Flintlock Pistol   Cleaning the Pedersoli .45 Navy Moll Flintlock Pistol EmptyMarch 4th 2018, 10:03 am

@patocazador wrote:
"The Pedersoli Navy Moll has no removable pins or wedges, tho. Just two screws - a nice substantial one by the Breech, and a wimpy, scary one at the Muzzle. Both enter a threaded hole in the Barrel - no wood screws."

In the exploded drawing above, aren't # 47 & 48 pins?

They sure are !

But they only retain the small brass guides (33,35) that the Ramrod fits into.

They never need to be removed.
Back to top Go down
Case Hardened

Case Hardened

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning the Pedersoli .45 Navy Moll Flintlock Pistol   Cleaning the Pedersoli .45 Navy Moll Flintlock Pistol EmptyMarch 4th 2018, 10:15 am

In between coats I'll use a SANDING SPONGE that I'll have cut up to fit the internal facets perfectly (it's a hexagonal barrel).
Back to top Go down

Cleaning the Pedersoli .45 Navy Moll Flintlock Pistol
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Black Powder Hand Guns-
Jump to: