Share | 

newbie questions

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rayiii

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2016-02-12

PostSubject: newbie questions   March 24th 2018, 5:22 pm

I just bought a new CVA Accura V2 with a leoplold muzzle loader scope. I have some questions on what I need to buy to get started. I'm going to shot BH 209 powder so I know I have to get the BH breech plug.

I have been reading past forums about the bullets,sabots,and powder measurements. Carlos has recommended the Barnes TEZ 250 or the Monoflex 250. I will start with one of these. Which one do you guys recommend for hunting deer in Wisconsin?

The sabot will be a harvester EZ load. When I looked these up they come in black and red, is there a difference and if there is which one do I start with? What do you guys recommend for the primmers?What is the best product to buy for measuring the powder for each shot? Can I pour the powder out of the powder jug into this or do I need something smaller?

I see the BH 209 powder comes in 10 oz. jugs and costs around 30 plus dollars around here. How many shots do you get out of a jug if you load 100 to 110 grains of powder per shot? I don't plan on shooting this a whole lot may be 15 shots to sight in then 2 to 3 shots before the season each year to make sure the gun in sight in.

Do I need a range rod or is the rod that comes with the gun good enough?

Sorry this got so long but I need to go shopping for supplies to get going. If i missed anything please let me know. Or any tips or tricks that you guys have learned and are willing to share.

Thanks a whole lot   Tray  Sorry to hear about Carlos retiring. He was a wealth of knowledge. One more thing is the best spot to buy all these things still through ED's Gun Shop?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 9956
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: newbie questions   March 25th 2018, 9:30 am

I have the same gun as you.

BH 209 is a good choice.

Yes, get the BH breech plug.

The hottest primer is the Federal 209a. It's what I use.

For rifle season I use the Barnes 250gr TEZ with the blue sabot it comes with. It fits perfect and is accurate. I see no reason to change it.

For muzzy season I use the Thor 250gr. We can't use sabots in muzzy season.

I believe you'll get around 60 100gr loads from a bottle of BH.

I buy a spout for the BH bottle and pour that into the powder measure.

I use the stock ramrod for everything. Hunting, cleaning and range work.

Shopping at Ed's was always a good deal, but Carlos retired, so I stopped going there. Midsouth has a good price on the Barnes bullets. I buy BH locally and get raped at $43 a bottle, but buying online and paying the Hazmat and shipping would be worse.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rayiii

PostSubject: Re: newbie questions   March 25th 2018, 10:26 am

Thanks for the Info. While I was looking for a powder measurer there are a lot of them out there is there one that is better then the others or are they all about the same?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 9956
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: newbie questions   March 25th 2018, 10:31 am

I haven't found one better than the others. As long as you use the same one all the time your loads will be consistent. Make sure you do the same thing everytime when loading the powder measure.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rayiii

PostSubject: Re: newbie questions   March 25th 2018, 10:43 am

Thanks again
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15249
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: newbie questions   March 25th 2018, 11:11 am

@Rayiii wrote:
I just bought a new CVA Accura V2 with a leoplold muzzle loader scope. I have some questions on what I need to buy to get started. I'm going to shot BH 209 powder so I know I have to get the BH breech plug.

I have been reading past forums about the bullets,sabots,and powder measurements. Carlos has recommended the Barnes TEZ 250 or the Monoflex 250. I will start with one of these. Which one do you guys recommend for hunting deer in Wisconsin? I highly suggest the 250gr Tez! 100-110gr BH209 with CCI 209M, Federal 209A or Winchester W209 primers.

The sabot will be a harvester EZ load. When I looked these up they come in black and red, is there a difference and if there is which one do I start with? What do you guys recommend for the primmers?What is the best product to buy for measuring the powder for each shot? Can I pour the powder out of the powder jug into this or do I need something smaller? You want the Black sabot. The red sabot is for smokeless muzzleloaders which will fit extremely tight. The barnes TEZ however comes with a great sabot that will load nicely in a CVA bore.

I see the BH 209 powder comes in 10 oz. jugs and costs around 30 plus dollars around here. How many shots do you get out of a jug if you load 100 to 110 grains of powder per shot? I don't plan on shooting this a whole lot may be 15 shots to sight in then 2 to 3 shots before the season each year to make sure the gun in sight in. 63+ shots

Do I need a range rod or is the rod that comes with the gun good enough? You will need a good sturdy range rod for both range work and for cleaning. The factory rod is good for in the field use, but on the range, a quality range rod will be a huge aid in reducing pain on your hand/wrist.

Sorry this got so long but I need to go shopping for supplies to get going. If i missed anything please let me know. Or any tips or tricks that you guys have learned and are willing to share.

Thanks a whole lot   Tray  Sorry to hear about Carlos retiring. He was a wealth of knowledge. One more thing is the best spot to buy all these things still through ED's Gun Shop?
I highly suggest www.Muzzle-Loaders.com they are on here from time to time to help folks out. They have a  wealth of knowledge and can help you get the right items you need for your V2.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15249
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: newbie questions   March 25th 2018, 11:20 am

Also, read up on this and order a bag of the mentioned o rings.
https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com/t11211-break-action-ml-sealing-your-primers
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Rayiii

PostSubject: Re: newbie questions   March 26th 2018, 7:21 am

Thanks guys for your help. Looking forward to shooting this as soon as it gets a little warmer around here
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokin' Joe

Male Number of posts : 1997
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: newbie questions   March 26th 2018, 8:09 am

Personally, for BH209 powder I only weigh my loads on a scale. Then pour the desired load into individual plastic tubes.  I do use a powder measure when measuring out loads with real black powder.  For me, my favorite powder measure by far, and I've tried a bunch of others, is the T/C's Hunter's Powder Measure.  It's fast/ easy and has been very dependable.

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rayiii

PostSubject: Re: newbie questions   March 26th 2018, 5:48 pm

Thanks for the help
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 2372
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: newbie questions   March 27th 2018, 2:38 pm

Listen to Jon and Pete and you'll be fine.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: newbie questions   

Back to top Go down

newbie questions
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: