Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

MUZZLELOADING FORUM

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Ads

Share | 

30-30 Bolt Action?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
oneshot 1

Number of posts : 448
Registration date : 2012-04-23

PostSubject: 30-30 Bolt Action?   March 26th 2018, 7:55 pm

Ok maybe I'm doing something wrong and not realizing it.

I have a Bolt Action 30-30. Every once in awhile I go to kick another Shell in and the Bolt comes out? I thought maybe I had my finger on the Trigger but that don't make sense because I use the same hand to work the Bolt.

oneshot
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokin' Joe

Male Number of posts : 2000
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: 30-30 Bolt Action?   March 27th 2018, 7:07 am

Bolt action rifles that I've seen usually have some sort of "bolt release" or stop" to prevent the bolt from coming all the way out unless desired.  Is there a possibility that the release on your rifle is worn, broke or just stuck??  With a thorough cleaning and close inspection,  you might be able to see what is failing.

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oneshot 1

PostSubject: Re: 30-30 Bolt Action?   March 27th 2018, 10:03 am

@Smokin' Joe wrote:
Bolt action rifles that I've seen usually have some sort of "bolt release" or stop" to prevent the bolt from coming all the way out unless desired.  Is there a possibility that the release on your rifle is worn, broke or just stuck??  With a thorough cleaning and close inspection,  you might be able to see what is failing.

What I'm thinking it is an Old Rifle. I bought it used. I'll just have to check it out.

oneshot
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador

Number of posts : 5862
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: 30-30 Bolt Action?   March 27th 2018, 10:16 am

It's usually a problem with a broken spring or the bolt catch being stuck in the open position. Clean it good like Joe said and if that doesn't work, it's probably the spring.

In 1973 I went mule deer hunting for the first time. I had a Weatherby Vanguard rifle and I jumped a big muley. I rushed the shot and missed. When I pulled back on the bolt, it came out in my right hand. Flustered, I couldn't get it back in for another shot. My buddy handed me his .30-06 and calmly said, "He'll stop and look back. When he does, shoot him." Sure enough he did stop and I shot him. He was a 5x6 with a high rack.
So, if you're going to hunt with it, bring along a buddy with a spare gun.  Wink

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oneshot 1

PostSubject: Re: 30-30 Bolt Action?   March 27th 2018, 1:00 pm

@patocazador wrote:
It's usually a problem with a broken spring or the bolt catch being stuck in the open position. Clean it good like Joe said and if that doesn't work, it's probably the spring.

In 1973 I went mule deer hunting for the first time. I had a Weatherby Vanguard rifle and I jumped a big muley. I rushed the shot and missed. When I pulled back on the bolt, it came out in my right hand. Flustered, I couldn't get it back in for another shot. My buddy handed me his .30-06 and calmly said, "He'll stop and look back. When he does, shoot him." Sure enough he did stop and I shot him. He was a 5x6 with a high rack.
So, if you're going to hunt with it, bring along a buddy with a spare gun.  Wink

Already did this, used a Muzzleloader. Got to looking I think it needs cleaning. Works Good 90+% of the time.

oneshot
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 30-30 Bolt Action?   

Back to top Go down

30-30 Bolt Action?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Modern Shooting :: Modern Shooters-
Jump to: