Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

has anybody tried this for a lube

Go down 
AuthorMessage
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
patocazador

patocazador

Number of posts : 5852
Registration date : 2012-08-22

has anybody tried this for a lube Empty
PostSubject: Re: has anybody tried this for a lube   has anybody tried this for a lube EmptyMarch 28th 2018, 5:59 pm

I think I would have gone with beeswax over Pledge. Pledge may work well, let us know.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
patocazador

patocazador

Number of posts : 5852
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: has anybody tried this for a lube   has anybody tried this for a lube EmptyMarch 29th 2018, 7:12 am

@strong eagle wrote:
 my local wall mart has .452 lead bullets 200 grain for a reasonable price in a 200 pk. box.

My local WalMart doesn't have any components except Power Belts, Pyrodex. and Triple Se7en, none of which I use.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
muznut

muznut

Number of posts : 739
Registration date : 2012-01-24

PostSubject: Re: has anybody tried this for a lube   has anybody tried this for a lube EmptyApril 3rd 2018, 8:16 am

I used to lube my rifle brass for sizing with pledge and it worked pretty good, But I'm not sure about bullet lube. I would think the thin coat it leaves plus not designed for high heat and friction that most of it would burn off in a few inches traveling out the barrel. I might be wrong so let us know how it works.
Back to top Go down
bronko22000

Male Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2016-03-22

PostSubject: Re: has anybody tried this for a lube   has anybody tried this for a lube EmptyDecember 27th 2018, 9:48 am

a very easy lube to make is 45% beeswax, 45% crisco, and 10% heavy mineral oil.  Melt it all together and stir. Place all your bullets in a baking pan on their bases. Pour the mixture into the pan until it gets to the height you want and let it set. 
Once set, you can lift it all out of the pan and push the bullets out with a pencil or similar object. Try to avoid breaking the lube up.  Now your nnext batch simply put the bullets in the existing holes and add a bit more melted lube.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16283
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: has anybody tried this for a lube   has anybody tried this for a lube EmptyDecember 27th 2018, 10:47 am

It might work if velocity is very very low. I'd agree with bronko and do the pan lube way.
Back to top Go down
falcon

falcon

Male Number of posts : 1552
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: has anybody tried this for a lube   has anybody tried this for a lube EmptyJanuary 28th 2019, 7:31 am

Several years ago i bought a big bunch of Bore butter at a yard sale. Had several hundred Maxi-Balls bought cheap at Chairman Mao Mart: But the lube had deteriorated. Cleaned the bullets up and re-lubed them using about 1/3 Bore Butter and 2/3 bees wax in a pan.
Back to top Go down

has anybody tried this for a lube
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Modern Shooting :: Ammo & Reloading Bench-
Jump to: