Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

MUZZLELOADING FORUM

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Ads

Share | 

Marlin Lever Action Costars in a Movie

Go down 
AuthorMessage
patocazador

Number of posts : 5862
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Marlin Lever Action Costars in a Movie   March 30th 2018, 10:57 am

I saw a very good movie last night that had an unusual costar, a Marlin 1895 Big Bore. The movie is "Wind River" and depicts a government hunter on the Shoshone-Arapaho reservation in Wyoming. Many things in the movie were spot-on with one scene showing the star reloading his .45-70? cartridges.

It even shows footage of an actual coyote kill and is not anti-hunting at all. The only thing that bothered me was why someone would use a .45-70 for coyote hunting? It is his primary weapon and is depicted as if the rifle is a sniper rifle. 

Rent the movie, you won't be disappointed.  :rtup  Tony will like it for sure.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15450
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Marlin Lever Action Costars in a Movie   March 30th 2018, 11:04 am

It it a good movie with great scenery!
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 3432
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Marlin Lever Action Costars in a Movie   March 30th 2018, 1:41 pm

@FrontierGander wrote:
It it a good movie with great scenery!
X2
Back to top Go down
View user profile
strong eagle

Number of posts : 629
Registration date : 2016-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Marlin Lever Action Costars in a Movie   March 30th 2018, 8:38 pm

the reason he used a 45/70 on coyotes was he is loading a bullet less that 400 grains and copper clad. he is loading it hot and only(i think) carrying one rifle with him on his snowmobile. i wouldnt be surprised the bullet goes 2200 ft per sec. he also meets bears in that country, very big ones. ive seen that movie 3 times. i live a short couple hour drive from their, been their a few times. did you also the notice the large deer herd in the way background at the end of the movie. good trout fishing around their also. theirs only one thing wrong with that area, lots of west nile virus around their and it is the worst of the worst strain. wear your repelent if you go their. that strain kills fast than other strains of west nile. if my wife got a really good job offer over their we would move their with out reservations. the reservation is a lot cleaner and in better shape than pine ridge.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador

PostSubject: Re: Marlin Lever Action Costars in a Movie   March 31st 2018, 2:37 pm

Also, he is left-handed and the Marlin ejects to the right. I don't think they ever show him shooting and ejecting the shell while prone.

If I were a government hunter, my primary weapon would be a bolt-action .338-06. 180 gr. for the coyotes, cougars and wolves and a 250 gr. Nosler partition for the occasional big bear. It certainly would not be a .45-70.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
strong eagle

PostSubject: Re: Marlin Lever Action Costars in a Movie   March 31st 2018, 4:37 pm

good choise or a 35 whelen which is my favorite cal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rebs

Male Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2017-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Marlin Lever Action Costars in a Movie   April 1st 2018, 10:52 am

what year was this movie ? Netflix has 2 with the same itle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador

PostSubject: Re: Marlin Lever Action Costars in a Movie   April 1st 2018, 2:49 pm

The one I saw was marked 2017 on Netflix's label.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
rebs

Male Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2017-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Marlin Lever Action Costars in a Movie   April 1st 2018, 6:09 pm

I just watched it this afternoon on netflix, excellent movie
Back to top Go down
View user profile
skoger

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2015-09-30

PostSubject: Re: Marlin Lever Action Costars in a Movie   April 6th 2018, 2:49 pm

Great movie, also liked the part where he is shooting thru the trailer walls and the impact on the fellas he shoots would be pretty darn realistic I think. I have a marlin guide gun, first year they made them, with ported barrel. I have taken several deer, a bear and a elk with this gun, out to 200 yds with my handloads, the 405 grains load aint far behind a .458 win mag, and will step you back a step when fired off hand, but is very accurate! I have the elk I shot videoed, and when the bullet impacts right behind the shoulder blade, it blows a halo of dirt off the bull all the way around him!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hanshi

Male Number of posts : 253
Registration date : 2015-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Marlin Lever Action Costars in a Movie   April 6th 2018, 2:55 pm

Wind River most certainly was a great movie.  Jeremy Renner's use of the Marlin was one of the first things that caught my eye; he's an awesome actor, too.  And yep, big bears call for big guns.  My choice, however, might be a Win .338 mag on the heavy side and a .350 Rem mag on the light side.  Own both, killed deer with both, handloaded both and seriously like both.  Still, I wouldn't dismiss that 45/70 out of hand.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.martialartsusa.com
strong eagle

PostSubject: Re: Marlin Lever Action Costars in a Movie   April 6th 2018, 4:21 pm

for me i like the gun he used, a 35 wheelen would also be another good choise. where i work out, thier is a law inforcement officer who has about the same job in the black hills as the movie guy. i dont know what kind of rifle he carries on his snowmobile but he says he also carries 3 hand guns on his snowmobile. never too much fire power when you meet the bad guys. no bears in the black hills but over loaded with mountain lions. also druggies, they are every wheres as well  as those who take game out of season. i want to say something nice about skoger here also. him and i took a drive into the black hills when he was here hunting. ive never seen a hunter with eyes like sam. when we went through the black hills, they are really mountains, he saw every critter we passed no matter how far they were up the mountain. nothing can get past sam. never saw a deer dressed out as fast as he does it as well as phesants. my son learned alot from him. he gave my son a good knife which he uses every season. good memories sam. oh, yes we got lost coming back home. darn near ended up in wyoming. saw some country i never saw before.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 2647
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Marlin Lever Action Costars in a Movie   April 11th 2018, 4:12 pm

@rebs wrote:
what year was this movie ? Netflix has 2 with the same itle

The movie "The Mountain Men" was originally called "Wind River", all their promotion was ready to be released and at the last minute it was changed because of a 1941 movie had already used that name. 

Now it seems Hollywood or whoever just names them, doesn't matter if there were other releases ????

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
heelerau

Male Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2018-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Marlin Lever Action Costars in a Movie   June 10th 2018, 1:25 am

I to saw the movie recently, and did enjoy it. I see it is loosely based on an actual event. I did note the Marlin, seemed to be pretty tricked up with a large scope etc.  I imagine you need use enough gun to clobber bruin. Our Koala bears down under can be pretty tricky ! Wink

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Marlin Lever Action Costars in a Movie   

Back to top Go down

Marlin Lever Action Costars in a Movie
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Modern Shooting :: Lever Action Guns-
Jump to: