Share | 

What solvent to clean barrel

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rayiii

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2016-02-12

PostSubject: What solvent to clean barrel   March 31st 2018, 9:45 am

Getting ready to clean my new cva accra nitrite for the fist time. I was going to use birchwood casey bore scrubber but after reading about it it can ruin the paint, camo finish or the rubber grips on the gun. I've read on here that hoppes #9 cleaner works well also. But after reading about hoppes it does not desolve plastic from the sabots. Do you do you clean with hopper first and then run some different solvent to get rid of the plastic fouling.  I'm going to start with Remington bore cleaner (I don't have remington 40X ) I hope this will work. I will run it through 50 to 60 passes. Then clean with birchwood casey or hoppes #9. Any help would be appreciated Thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 9976
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: What solvent to clean barrel   March 31st 2018, 10:05 am

Are you talking about the factory gunk that comes from the factory or after shooting BH 209?

If it's the factory gunk you need something strong to get it all out and you do need to get it all. If you don't you'll bake it in when shooting. You need snow white patches when you're done. I use brake cleaner followed up with Hoppe's 9. Keep doing both until all patches are clean. Including the wet patches. Just spray the patch with brake cleaner away from gun and then down the bore and you won't hurt anything.

For cleaning after shooting BH 209 I use Hoppe's 9. Although I may switch to Montana-x BH 209 cleaner. The smell will kill you but it cleans really good.

https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/accessories/cleaning/blackhorn-209-bore-cleaning-solvent.html

BTW...New sabots don't deposit any plastic in bore. The old sabots did. Use the blue sabots that come with the Barnes TEZ and you'll be fine.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rayiii

PostSubject: Re: What solvent to clean barrel   March 31st 2018, 12:30 pm

Thank you for the info. Just use regular brake cleaner from an auto parts store? Spray the patch good then scrub the inside of the barrel.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: What solvent to clean barrel   March 31st 2018, 1:19 pm

Yup! You can also use throttle body cleaner.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: What solvent to clean barrel   March 31st 2018, 1:40 pm

I was just thinking. If you're going to buy some of the Montana Bh 209 cleaner. You should try that on the factory gunk. It's a pretty strong cleaner and might work good.

Report back how it worked if you try it.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rayiii

PostSubject: Re: What solvent to clean barrel   March 31st 2018, 1:55 pm

I will order some montana bh cleaner and I will get back with results THANKS
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15125
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: What solvent to clean barrel   March 31st 2018, 2:08 pm

The Bore Scrubber is a great cleaner, its A kerosene based cleaner.

As far as getting it onto plastic, I always keep cleaners away from plastic reguardless of what the bottle says.

For cleaning the bore and removing fouling, its an excellent cleaner.

If you do use BH209 cleaner. Use it in a ventilated area otherwise it can make you sick to your stomach. I did not like it as it seemed to make BH209 fouling hard and required more patches to clean up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: What solvent to clean barrel   March 31st 2018, 2:40 pm

I didn't get that. It cleaned up BH fast. The reviews i've read say the same thing.

The smell is a killer. Must be the ammonia in it.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rayiii

PostSubject: Re: What solvent to clean barrel   April 1st 2018, 9:58 am

I ordered the the montana x-treme cleaning solvent it should be here this week and I will try it on the factory gunk next weekend and I will report on how it worked. I will also get a can of brake cleaner for a back up. Thanks for all the help. I'm sure I will have more questions when I get ready to start shooting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: What solvent to clean barrel   April 1st 2018, 10:01 am

Ok, good deal. Even if it doesn't work on the factory gunk you still have a good cleaner for BH 209.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15125
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: What solvent to clean barrel   April 1st 2018, 10:03 am

Just keep that break cleaner far away from the plastic stock & frame!
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: What solvent to clean barrel   April 1st 2018, 10:13 am

Yes, I do that with all cleaners for plastic stocks.

Here's how I do it. I always have a scope on an inline. So, with a CVA it so simple to take off the barrel with just one screw. I then lay is sideways in my table with the muzzle hanging over the edge of the table. The scope makes it stable. It's then very easy to hold the end of the barrel and clean the bore.

The stock and forearm are now placed way away from the cleaning and can't be damaged.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Smoke

Male Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2016-01-28

PostSubject: Re: What solvent to clean barrel   April 2nd 2018, 4:33 am

All I ever used on my Accura V2 was Hoppies #9.  Seemed to work for the factory gunk and works great for bh209 fouling.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rayiii

PostSubject: Re: What solvent to clean barrel   April 14th 2018, 5:41 am

Well I cleaned my brand new cva accura with the montana x-treme cleaning solvent and it seemed to work well removing the factory gunk in the barrel. I cleaned the barrel until the patches came out clean and then ran a patch with brake cleaner just to make sure the gunk was all out and that patch was clean also. So thanks for all the help. Just waiting for fleet Farm to get the cci m primers in stock, and for the weather to warm up in wisconsin and I can get out and shoot it. Thanks Everyone
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What solvent to clean barrel   

Back to top Go down

What solvent to clean barrel
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: