Ads

Share | 

Kentucky Long Rifle for cow elk hunting

Go down 
AuthorMessage
valgrego

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2018-03-31

PostSubject: Kentucky Long Rifle for cow elk hunting   March 31st 2018, 11:38 pm

Hi guys,
I'm looking for some feedback on what use for a cow elk hunt. I'll be in northern Arizona in December 2018. Right now I have a Traditions Kentucky Long Rifle (I built the kit), .50 cal, percussion cap, 33.5" barrel with 1:66 twist. I've discovered that this rifle will shoot 320gr MaxiBalls fairly accurately - 3" group at 100 yds from a bench rest. I have read many reports and forum postings that this slow twist will not stabilize conical bullets, but I'm getting round holes at 100 yds, with acceptable accuracy. In preparation for the hunt, I'm going to shoot some Hornady Great Plains 385gr bullets tomorrow (Happy Easter!) through my new chrono to get an idea of velocity. Then I'll shoot for 100 yds to see how that goes.

I've been searching far and wide for a calculator, formula, chart to measure ft lbs of energy at the point of impact, given bullet weight and velocity. Any ideas?

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15249
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky Long Rifle for cow elk hunting   April 1st 2018, 1:27 am

With a 320gr maxiball or a 385gr hornady great plains, you dont have to worry about velocity/energy. Its going to hit like a freight train with as little as 70gr 2fg.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
strong eagle

Number of posts : 500
Registration date : 2016-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky Long Rifle for cow elk hunting   April 1st 2018, 7:38 am

im going to share a bit of shooting knowledge i was given by two sioux tribals hunters.they have both shot over 300 buffalo each, they shoot them for a wake feed when an elder dies. they shoot at about 100 years and dont use guns that one would think best for a buffalo. the same knowledge applies for an elk. look at your elk from the side. look at the withers. elk have a very easily seen withers. make you eye go to the center of the withers and then 3 inches straight up towards the head. you hit the elk their with anything reasonable and they go straight down and are dead. my friends use 38.55/s and 257 roberts and 308/s and they are all one shot kills. ket your gun shooting good, hit the elk their and he wont walk away. several years ago a rich piece of $$$hit came to our area with a 300 weatherby magnum. made a lot of loud bragging noise and shot a big bull buffalo 8 times before it went down. when he got done bragging i said to him, if you would have shot it in the middle of the withers and 3 inches up the neck it would have taken only one shot. he turned purple, the big fat jackass and didnt reply and left the hardware store in a huff. never ever seen him again. he ruined a lot of meat. even shot the bull in the guts and ass. now you have a secret to share with others that came from 2 sioux hunters who have made over 300 one shot kills on buffalo.knowledge is ment to be shared, it doesnt belong to anyone. thanks for your post and have fun and do some bragging to us when it all comes together.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
valgrego

PostSubject: Thanks for the info   April 1st 2018, 1:58 pm

Gents,

I just returned from a day in the desert with the muzzleloader. I recorded just under 1500 fps with 100gr (by volume) of Alliant MZ (that stuff cleans up really well, and it's only $9.99 at Sportsman's Warehouse!). I got a 4" group at 50 yds; but surprisingly about the same group at 100yds. The holes were nice and round, leading me to believe the 385gr Great Plains bullets are stabilizing just fine. That was off a bench rest - completely stable. Now I have to practice from various positions, then fine tune my hunting skills so I can get to around 75 yds.

I'm thinking the Great Plains bullet will be just the ticket to some fine eating in December.

Thanks for the encouragement. I just have to do my job and sneak up close enough and shoot straight.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 9956
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky Long Rifle for cow elk hunting   April 1st 2018, 2:03 pm

It's not hard to kill a cow with a PRB. Double lung shot is meat in the freezer if your range is 75yds.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
valgrego

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky Long Rifle for cow elk hunting   April 1st 2018, 2:25 pm

Strong Eagle, great story! BTW, what are the "withers"?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
strong eagle

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky Long Rifle for cow elk hunting   April 2nd 2018, 4:25 pm

the withers are the front shoulder, usually at a 45 degree angle on a good horse. they look like a stand out line.what you are doing when you go to the middle and up to the head 3 inches is destroying the spine or numbing it. they go down even with smaller caliber rifles instantly. yes a double lung shot is very good but not as fast as ruining the spine, that is instant.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
valgrego

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky Long Rifle for cow elk hunting   April 2nd 2018, 9:29 pm

Strong Eagle, thanks for the explanation. The elk I'm going to be chasing are supposed to be in a winter migration area, in large herds, so I should have plenty of opportunities fairly close. I know what you mean by the instant kill zone - I killed some feral hogs in Texas in November. I hit them right behind the ear and they dropped right there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
heelerau

Male Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2018-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky Long Rifle for cow elk hunting   April 3rd 2018, 5:34 am

Strong Eagle,
 we don't have elk down under, but they do in New Zealand, if ever I go there I will keep this bit of advice in mind.  Whithers are the top of the shoulder.

strong eagle

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky Long Rifle for cow elk hunting   April 3rd 2018, 7:42 am

this info comes from the sioux, just passing it on. nothing better than elk meat.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador

Number of posts : 5836
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky Long Rifle for cow elk hunting   April 3rd 2018, 9:45 am

@heelerau wrote:
Strong Eagle,
 we don't have elk down under, but they do in New Zealand, if ever I go there I will keep this bit of advice in mind.  Whithers are the top of the shoulder.

You have sambar there. They're a relative of elk. Maybe they taste as good too.

We have sambar here too but the tag is hard to draw. I put in for years and finally was drawn in 2006. The hunt dates coincided with me having my gall bladder out. They said no rain checks.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 2372
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky Long Rifle for cow elk hunting   April 3rd 2018, 11:15 am

@OldMtnMan wrote:
It's not hard to kill a cow with a PRB. Double lung shot is meat in the freezer if your range is 75yds.

Not knowing your experience with hunting, like Pete says if your worried about smaller groups hit the animal in the lungs (even at 100 yards with one shot in the lungs they may travel a 100 yard then lay down). I personally have shot over a dozen buffalo, bulls and cows with probably half of them shot through the lungs. Most didn't travel more than 20 yards then went down, once down if need be shoot them behind the ear and the hunt is over and the work begins).

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 9956
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky Long Rifle for cow elk hunting   April 3rd 2018, 11:21 am

Nothing can live with a hole in both lungs. Some take longer than others to die but they'll all die. The size of the kill zones is the biggest and the safest shot you can take.

It doesn't take a huge bullet to do it. A hole is a hole. Only bad shots fail.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 2372
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky Long Rifle for cow elk hunting   April 3rd 2018, 11:41 am

Back in the 1840's a kid in IL with a single shot .22 caliber rifle killed a circus elephant on a bet with his friend, one shot in the eye. Wonder what that cost his parents .......  What a Face

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky Long Rifle for cow elk hunting   

Back to top Go down

Kentucky Long Rifle for cow elk hunting
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: